Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making my way through the new rule book. For those who know the canon, are all of these "optional" rules generally used? Hand-offs, assists, fouls, interceptions, etc.?

Don't want to learn the game and then realize some optional rule isn't actually considered as something that is commonly used. The special event cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. All "optional rules" are really better called "rules" or else it is not much of a game

Special cards are the only real option. Most tournaments Ive played in don't use them...too swingy for a proper game. But great fun in one off games or perhaps crazy loving leagues.

This is 3rd edition guy talking mind you...but not much difference really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hand-offs, assists, fouls, interceptions, etc., are all standard rules. I'd forgotten they were "optional".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Just you wait.
badge
There's a million things I haven't done.
mb
What these guys said. Anything that applies to a league is likely to be house ruled, but all the additional gameplay stuff is used by everybody. Cards have existed previously, but in 3rd Edition they were broken, and in the latest LRB, they were only used as inducements when playing outmatched opponents, so we'll see how they're received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new edition does have a few changes where we will have to see what the community settles on. Piling On for instance; it was overpowered before, but with new requirement of a Team Re-roll, it is certainly not as useful anymore. But it is optional, so what ends up with that?

And of course the most outrageous change.. Bloodweiser Babes are renamed Bloodweiser Kegs... Never! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
think of the "optional rules" as "advanced rules" in most other games where it may be easier to learn the basic concepts of the game w/o them but once you're up to speed on the game most/all will be used
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thain Esh Kelch wrote:
And of course the most outrageous change.. Bloodweiser Babes are renamed Bloodweiser Kegs... Never! cool

Have you seen the new sculpts from Forgeworld, though?

Fwoarrr! Look at the planks on that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thain Esh Kelch wrote:

I think it's one of those P.C. things where they want to make the game more welcoming to potential female players. If I ever see a female actually play this game, I'll know it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you could argue it was a relic from a less "civilized" time and needed to be changed....that said meh either way doesn't bother me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
westcl2 wrote:
think of the "optional rules" as "advanced rules" in most other games where it may be easier to learn the basic concepts of the game w/o them but once you're up to speed on the game most/all will be used

Well, I basically mis-named the sections. I think.

But certainly having now played a few halfs, assisting is hugely important to the game.

Have yet to use the special cards, but going to give those a go in our next match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.