Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

First question, is Mare Nostrum still in print? Few shops still seem to be carrying it, at least here in the UK. Is the expansion still in print - it seems to be published by a different company?

Second question is that I'm going to be buying MN, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and War of the Ring (First Edition). I'm wondering whether to get the expansions at the same time.

My initial thoughts on the WotR expansion, War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age is that it's pretty worthless. It seems as though much of the material is actually new mini-games that I have no interest in and it looks to add further complexity to an already complex game for little extra play value. I know it supposedly "re-balances" the game but there are free fixes for that (I could always even use the Galadriel rules if I want) and my games of WotR are likely to be multiplayer, which I understand is more balanced anyway.

The TI3 expansion, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire, looks essential. However the bulk of the price is in the 7-8 player pieces which I'm never going to use. It strikes me that the genuinely essential stuff - the new strategy cards, the artefacts and the new objective cards - could be quite easily and cheaply fabricated if I wanted to. How much use is the other stuff in the box - the new races, techs, political/action cards and planet tiles?

I don't know much about the Mare Nostrum: Mythology Expansion except that it's well regarded. If it's still in print - and likely to remain so - is it worth me playing the original game a few times first before bothering with? Is it as "essential" as the TI3 expansion or is it just a nice extra if the game sees a lot of play? Of course if it's OOP then I might as well snap it up while I can.

cheers,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Hi,

The TI3 expansion, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire, looks essential. However the bulk of the price is in the 7-8 player pieces which I'm never going to use. It strikes me that the genuinely essential stuff - the new strategy cards, the artefacts and the new objective cards - could be quite easily and cheaply fabricated if I wanted to. How much use is the other stuff in the box - the new races, techs, political/action cards and planet tiles?

cheers,
Matt

I'm going to strongly recommend you purchase the expansion, if you wish to use any of the options from it, and support Fantasy Flight Games effort to provide TI3 player with these new options.

TI3 is better with the expansion in my opinion. Elements that often only had a cursory impact in the base game, such as politics, are much more important with the Shattered Empire expansion.

However, if you aren't certain about the value of the TI3 expansion, it might be worth playing the base game a time or two before deciding whether to pick up the expansion for your group.

Kevin
www.easttennesseegamers.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally don't like to get expansions at the same times as I buy the game. I like to get to know the original game a bit and then see if I want the expansion. FWIW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My playgroup hated TI3 but since we started using the expansion we now enjoy the game a whole lot more. I would say its a must have for sure. The other game we've been playing is Mare Nostrum. I would say the expansion isn't essential but it does add a lot to the game(creatures,6th player,new resource,quick start rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion greatly improves Mare Nostrum, from something like a 6 to an 8 in my case. It comes with a rulebook which incoporates the original rules, changes to them, and any new rules all in one, so you can jump straight in. Especially given it may be difficult to get hold of, if you see an offer of both Mare Nostrum and its expansion I would jump on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played all three of the base games, but none of the expansions. All three of them are favorites in our group. I can't speak for whether the expansions improve the experience, but I do know that they aren't as necessary as some of the comments will have you think. I generally avoid buying an expansion until I have played the base game, because it often adds more complexity than we're ready to handle until the third or fourth play, at least. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
sauron Mare is a great game with or without the expansion...but the expansion opens up more options for players (and adds Spain/Morocco to the Med map). The WotR expansion may be superfluous, but since it includes two MORE games as well as minimal additions to the base-game, it can hardly be considered worthless. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the opinions so far - very helpful. But could someone bite on the question of whether Mare Nostrum and its expansion are still in print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
As to Mare Nostrum I agree with Philip, the expansion not only expands the game, it clarifies the rules and makes it a better game for 3,4 and 6 players.

It does, however, seem to be out of print. A quick check of a few online retailers shows some still have it in stock, but most that do list only one copy being available. I couldn't find any information about a reprint either, so you may want to grab it if you can...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Billette
Canada
Aylmer
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MN seems to be out of stock in online stores, but if you have a FLGS, maybe you could find a copy there or ask about its availability.
The Mythology expansion still seems to be available online, and it's published by the same company as the base game.

If you're not interested in the additional games in the WotR expansion (they're only for 2 players, although they are really great and add an extra dimension for those who enjoyed the base game and love the stories), then I can't recommend it for you, as there is very little addition to the base game. Ents, Easterlings, Corsairs, Galadriel, the Balrog, a new version of the Witch King and a few replacement cards and that's about it.

However, don't be fooled by the plastic pieces in the TI3 expansion. The box is very heavy with lots of cardboard and cards, and is worth it regardless of the additional plastic ships. You can tons of new counters, new strategy, new technology, new systems, new races, and, as has already been mentioned, the new strategy cards add a lot to the game, especially to the Political phase. It's well worth it. You should, if you haven't already done of course, try the base game a couple of times to make sure your group will really like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Game Prices is a nice place for a quick check for availability of games. Here's MN and expansion:
http://www.boardgameprices.com/game.aspx?id=103642
http://www.boardgameprices.com/game.aspx?id=101175

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Boards and Bits has Mare Nostrum base game and lists it as a new arrival (if you click on new arrivals all the way on the right and then scroll down, it's about halfway down, costs $38.44), so I wonder if its a reprint that just got in.

However, if you go to the item description, it says they have only one left, and I would imagine a reprint would stock the seller well enough to be left with more than one after just a week or so, so who knows?

Anyway, one left there, so you may want to go get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, the publisher of Mare Nostrum, Eurogames, has gone under. I have not heard of any other company picking it up. When current stock in stores is depleted, I would not forsee availability for a long time to come. The expansion does add quite a bit to the base game. Also, you may not have a chance to get it easily later if you pass on the opportunity now. For the other games, I would hazard that it would be safe to wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The TI3 expansion is very good. While you could "fix" the game yourself, it does add a lot of value and somewhat balances things.

The WotR expansion is (almost) the most disappointing game purchase I ever made. soblue

My WotR review: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/119022
My WotR:BotA review: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/119038
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, I've seen copies of both Mare Mostrum and its expansion at Game Parlor, Chantilly, VA, USA. http://gameparlor.com/

I know they will ship purchases if you buy from them, but that can get awfully expensive living in the UK as you do.

Regarding the Mare Nostrum expansion, I've only played with the expansion once, and it seems to work well. Some critics of the game argue that Rome is too powerful in the original game, but the expansion lessens its advantage by the addition of Atlantis to its west.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Few shops still seem to be carrying it, at least here in the UK.

You can still get it from Adam Spielt http://www.adam-spielt.de
For 21.50 + 15.00 euros you'll have the complete set.

Very good game, and the expansion makes it a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsaar wrote:

Nice find. Do you know if they are likely to be English or German? I presume the latter, but I emailed to check, but no reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Tsaar wrote:

Nice find. Do you know if they are likely to be English or German? I presume the latter, but I emailed to check, but no reply.

I bought the set (which was even cheaper than both boxes separately, maybe you can ask for that discount as well), and the basic box is in german, but the expansion, and thus the definitive rulebook, is english. You'll have mixed commodities cards then, but the pictures are the same of course: no problem. You'll have one minor problem, some heroes and wonders haven't been replaced by the expansion (most are) so you'll have to look for a translation of the cards if you don't understand german. It's not that much text though.

Strange that Adam Spielt hasn't answered your mails, I'm quite enthusiast about their customer service (mails answered within two or three days).

Enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsaar wrote:
I bought the set (which was even cheaper than both boxes separately, maybe you can ask for that discount as well), and the basic box is in german, but the expansion, and thus the definitive rulebook, is english. You'll have mixed commodities cards then, but the pictures are the same of course: no problem. You'll have one minor problem, some heroes and wonders haven't been replaced by the expansion (most are) so you'll have to look for a translation of the cards if you don't understand german. It's not that much text though.

Hmm, I normally avoid foreign language games but this is sounding more and more tempting. Could you possibly answer another couple of questions - firstly do the commodities cards have "useful" text on them so it might be a problem if someone had a hand of all-german cards? Second, do you want to make a rough guess of how many cards I'd have to translate - would you reckon it's better to put stickers over the German text or have a printout to show players?

Quote:
Strange that Adam Spielt hasn't answered your mails, I'm quite enthusiast about their customer service (mails answered within two or three days).

They didn't get it - I sent it from a Hotmail account and it must've been discarded as Spam somewhere along the line. Sending it from a different address received an extremely prompt and helpful reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Hmm, I normally avoid foreign language games but this is sounding more and more tempting. Could you possibly answer another couple of questions - firstly do the commodities cards have "useful" text on them so it might be a problem if someone had a hand of all-german cards? Second, do you want to make a rough guess of how many cards I'd have to translate - would you reckon it's better to put stickers over the German text or have a printout to show players?

I'll have a look for you this evening, I'm separated from my games at this moment (a thing called work).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The commodities cards should not be an issue in German, it is the hero and wonder cards that might be an issue. Given that each of them have unique powers, players will be pouring over them quite a lot (especially the first few games) to figure out which to purchase. It could be VERY cumbersome not to have the translations pasted to the cards. Alternatively, you could just print out a reference sheet for each of the players that describes all of the cards powers and just go by the reference sheets. I wouldn't think the Hero's names would be significantly different in German, just the description of powers. I'm not sure what's available for download, but that would be a stellar player aid if you were to go this route.

The range of variable player powers (along with the turn order mechanic) is what makes Mare unique. You don't want to make the best part of the game the most difficult to deal with. It's already a little hard to keep track of when everything is in English!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I think I've tracked down the cards that remain unchanged in the expansion by comparing player aids from the two games:

General Heroes 3/6 unchanged:

Helen of Troy
Nebuchadnezzar
Ulysses

Wonders of the World 6/7 unchanged (not so good):

Colossus
Temple of Artemis
Statue of Zeus
Lighthouse
Mausoleum
Pyramids

Mythological Heroes:
All unchanged - but am I right in thinking that there are only 5 in the original game but another 20-odd are added by the expansion?

Is this right? Have I missed anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.