United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please list any recent wargames (stand-alone games or scenarios) you have COMPLETED since your post in the previous thread. And please continue to add more wargames as you complete them.

As wargamers, shouldn't we be saying...?

HQ, HQ, HQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I finally got a chance to set up and play this one using the new update expansion although i did not have any trouble with the original.

Finished the 1632 campaign. The game really captures the period and I like the chess like feel of how you maneuver your forces. Unlike most games the tactical battle board system adds to the period feel and is not the usual cumbersome add on. I see this one hitting the table for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished two plays(all I could manage) of Strike the Bear from

All I can say is wow I'll save my full comments for the review I plan to post of all four games in the near future but let's just say that it was an interesting experience for now gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:

I finally got a chance to set up and play this one using the new update expansion although i did not have any trouble with the original.

Finished the 1632 campaign. The game really captures the period and I like the chess like feel of how you maneuver your forces. Unlike most games the tactical battle board system adds to the period feel and is not the usual cumbersome add on. I see this one hitting the table for a while.

I don't have a ton of experience with this, but from what I've played, I thought it was a surprisingly clean and elegant design. I also think using cards in this manner--which is to say, to handle more generic and operational functions--is actually a positive direction for CDGs to go in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost yet another game of The Guns of Gettysburg. It started off bad for me as the Union, as I didn't get any reinforcements of note until the afternoon, but I was able to cobble together a line and repel attacks against the center with the timely insertion of the Iron Brigade. Things looked good for much of July 2, but a late Confederate flanking move undid me, as I was too locked up in fields of fire to effectively redeploy to meet it, and too close to the other stars to withdraw and free up troops. Lost it just before nightfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal PBEM game #1: 2nd Fleet

Scenario 5: The Big Stick. NATO substantive victory. I was able to sink all of the Soviet transports but, in doing so, left the Soviet Task Forces alone to focus their now substantial wrath on attacking the NATO ships to some effect.

Vassal PBEM game #2: Roads to Gettysburg

Scenario 3: Meade Moves North. Confederate victory.

Unfortunately, this game/module was my first real disappointment with the GCACW system. This scenario was nothing more than activation after activation of Union movement to fatigue. Recover, movement to fatigue, rinse, repeat. Meanwhile the CSA, after a few opening moves, sits and passes waiting for the Union to advance to close. Hopefully before scenario end snore. To add to my disappointment, the few remaining scenarios seem to mirror this approach. Add on top of this an outdated, poorly designed Vassal module, and it's an easy decision to shelve this and move on to much better modules in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st play for me as Tokigawa clan in Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan

Won after erasing the eastern side of the board of that ugly yellow color. I like the game, and we managed to get it done in mere 2 hours. Very clean design.

Would love to try and play this with my dad who's english is not that good since it is language independent. I however crave a little more chrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

Started the month off right! Played a game of Into a Bear Trap: The Battle for Grozny, January 1995 with BGG User silentwarrior playing the Russians and me as the Chechens, same as our last game a couple months ago. However this was about the worst butt kicking I've received while gaming in a while. At the beginning of the game I rolled 2d6 for my starting units and thought it was going my way since I rolled 11! The Chechens then have to roll a d10 for reinforcements at the beginning of turns 2 through 6 and I rolled 4 on turns 2, 3 AND 4! This was ruinous!

With those initial units I received 3 infantry and 8 RPG units, which helped during turn two when I was able to clog several roads with Russian tanks (a prime strategy for the Chechens to slow the Russian advance) but a lucky roll by Logan destroyed one of my emplaced road blocks and it was loads of BMP's, BTR's and T-80's until he had taken the Railroad, Parliament building AND Presidential Palace! I had 3 (!) units on the map and conceded at the end of turn 5...there was no hope for my poor Chechens. That is quite the ahistorical outcome (I'd say the Russians wished it had gone this way for them in '95!).

Played Ogre: Objective 218 with a Euro gamer who is wanting to dip her toes into the wargaming world and have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this (it was her copy). While I LOVE original Ogre (and yes, I bought the damn monstrosity!) I had never played this. Surprising amount of strategy but definitely not a wargame; still fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Slowly working through some of the older games in my collection, to see if they're worth keeping around. Last month I played Bar-Lev: The Yom-Kippur War of 1973 and found it wanting. This week I finished up a solo game of The Battle of the Alma and didn't really enjoy it.

Not really much to do as the French/British/Turkish player except march forward into the heavy Russian artillery or slowly climb the hills. The Russians sit, wait for the Allies to close the distance, then blast holes in their lines. And then slowly retreat towards the board edge.

Oh well at least this helps me slim the collection down (so I can buy newer games ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Having recently received some older VPG games at risk of going out of print, I started playing Israeli Independence, the short simple little solitaire game which launched the Victory Point Games States of Siege Series... It is trivially easy to set up, and it plays really fast (5 or 10 minutes at most per game once you are in the addictive binge flow of "just one more time, surely I'll win this time...").

I find it interesting to see the States of Siege system so distilled down into its pure original essence with almost no chrome or fiddly exceptions, especially after having recently played Cruel Necessity (which lasts 3 or more hours and has a rulebook an order of magnitude longer than II's single simple rule sheet). I've now played about a half dozen SoS games; interesting to see how they get successively more complex, and how different designers take it in different directions, all based off this original simple little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb

My second go at the game in as many nights.

A 9 turn, British attacker versus German front line romp involving a house-to-house mission, and a bridge as the final objective in space 4. Managed to get through to the farm manor just before the bridge when, during an attempt to breach the farm manor's walls, I lost one British squad to a HMG I stumbled across, screened by two squads of riflemen. I assumed most of the squad were simply cut down while running to the manor across an open field. Couldn't keep enough momentum going and lost the mission.

Excellent narrative and good gameplay. The rules have a few holes, and inconsistent/poor flow and pacing at times (and typesetting/design is simply "ugh"), but a very enjoyable game none-the-less. I have all of the expansions (Poles, Russians, Brits) so this one has something like 800 cards in total. Good component quality. Setting up a German attack against British/Commonwealth "hostiles" near Norrey-en-Bessin next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've only played this 5-6 times and I do "OK" with it. Even though my campaigns aren't scored very high, I DO enjoy the game.

Campaign: Iran 2014 Standard
Situation: Holding Action, 6 Days
Final Result: 17VP Adequate
Aircraft:
MQ-1
A-10C
AH-64D
AH-64A
AH-1 Cobra

My first day I lost my MQ-1 which gives pilots a FAST rating, plus it was able to carry up to 2 Hellfire AGM 114 missiles. That got hit in the structure which caused it to crash. After that day, it was very hard because with each day having just a couple of SO points to buy weapons and also to make sure I had enough to pay at the end of the day for Battalions that had advanced into in my Friendly zones which also costs SO points. AND on my Situation card I lost an SO point per day for EACH "Command" card that was at full strength, PLUS on one of the Battalion Support cards I lost 1 SO point per day until I destroyed that particular battalion. So... I was able to fly day 5, but my aircraft got chopped up so bad that I wasn't able to fly day 6. The pilots were also very stressed out and all were shaken. So... after that 5th day which I was only able to halve the battalion I decided to NOT fly on the last day. I was afraid to lose an aircraft and a pilot which would take away my VP. So, I just eeked in at 17VP which gave me an ADEQUATE finish. If it were finished at 16VP, then it would have been poor rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Anslow
England
Warminster
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Combat Commander: Europe

A Veritable Bloodbath

The German defenders blocked the right flank with wire and dug in their trenches between the two groups of buildings. The British got off to a gentle stroll hoping to advance on the fenceline by laying down a large quantity of smoke from the attached mortars. Upon arriving at the fence they were constanly driven back by MG fire including crossfire from another MG that had arrived as reinforcements.

The British then split their attack and outflanked the wire only to run into a MG that had moved through the trench system and a newly arrived German officer. The attack caused the Brits to hit the dirt and dig in. Despite the impending dusk which was causing a lot of fire to go astray the Britsih remained pinned down in the open and the Germans held on for a comfortable vitory.

Cheers,

Roger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb

On our third try, we actually played to completion. My Communist Party won in the 8th Turn after my Revolt instigating wife played a Scoring card and she lost the Power Struggle. It was the 3rd play of this card so it gave me 3x the Power Points, bringing my Glorious Reds to 20+ VP's!

However, the vote is still out on this particular game. My complaint is I cannot pronounce most of the words and hers is it takes too long (about 5.5 Hours) but I told her that's how long we played it last time and we only got to Turn 5 then, so we are getting more competent in our play.

One more time, thenwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished three plays of Codeword: Barbarossa from

I also posted a review of all four games here:The Mega Review: An Thorough Analysis of All Four Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although a little late, I did play with fellow BGGers
Charles Neal
Canada
Hillsburgh
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
and
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
plus a gent by the name of Paul a marathon game of: Axis & Allies: WWI 1914.

We began around 1400 hours and went to 2200 hours, although we did stop for a break of a wonderful steak dinner supplied by our host, CraigH.

This was a long game, but, a wonderful one too. The Central Power were played by Paul [Germany] and CraigH [AH & the Ottoman Empire], with Cgneal [France & the U.K.], myself [Russia, Italy & the USA], were the Entente.

The western front was a quite front with more posturing and build up of troops. Italy did take Switzerland and was left alone for the first half of the game.

The main action was on the eastern front starting with the attacks on Serbia. This lead to a grand attack by both Germany and AH into the Balkans and Russia. Russia lead a valiant defense of Mother Russia and even managed to push the Germans back into Germany, however, the AH juggernaut, along with a little Ottoman assistance could not be stopped. The Russian revolution was purposely avoided as AH went for the extra territory and financial gain.

This allowed AH to refocus on Italy and more specifically Switzerland with that territory changing hands several times.

In sub-Africa a status quo was kept as there wasn't any addition or movement of troops during the game. Above the Sahara was a different story with the U.K., France and Italy working together and at one point defending Egypt together from Ottoman aggression. In the Middle East front the U.K. Made several attempts against the Ottomans, however, the U.K. Never managed to make any concrete gains.

When the USA entered the Great War, her forces were built up and transported originally to support Italy, but, then they got back onto the transports and ended up in Bulgaria.

On the naval side of the war, the Royal Navy kept control of the North Sea. Any German naval units were destroyed away from the German ports. The Russian battle ship attacked the German fleet in an unsuccessful suicide mission. Eventually the Royal Navy did defeat the German Imperial Navy. The sea lanes in the Atlantic Ocean remained open for the Allies. In the Black Sea a Russian cruiser attack on the Ottoman's cruisers resulted in the loss on both Russian cruisers, with one being sunk by a sea mine and the other by gun fire. The remaining Ottoman cruiser made a successful dash to AH sea base in the Mediterranean Sea. The AH navy did build a second battleship which towards the end of the game a combined attack by the Italian Navy, the United States Navy and the Royal Navy Mediterranean Fleet was not able to completely destroy the AH Navy.

At the end of turn 8 we called the game. The Central Powers were now gaining about 102 economic points a turn while the Ententes 75 and this had been going on for several turns now and the advantages to the Central Powers were quite evident. With the Mediterranean Sea now empty of Entente naval power and they no longer had the economic positioning to rebuild a strong naval presence, it was only a matter of time before the Centralpowers prevailed and won the Great War.

This is a great game, however, it is a long game. It was all of ours first play of this game and the first 2 turns were the longest as we all were learning the rules in a practical method. We all played with various levels of aggression and strategic thinking. The biggest star of the game, which is also it's heart, is the battle board;
. This has been vastly different from other A&A battle boards. The importance of aircraft becomes readily apparent as the side with air superiority gains a die modifier with its land forces. Either the attacker or the defender, but, never both gain this agvantage and it can change with each battle. The way this modifier works it shows the importance of relationship infantry has with artillery support.

I'd recommend this game to anyone who would like to play it, but, be prepared to make sure that you have set aside a long period of time as it is a long game.

EDIT 1: Spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed the introductory scenario of 1914: Serbien Muss Sterbien, my first experience playing the 1914 series series, which I found to be excellent.

Serbians won by holding all three key locations (AHs needed just one) at the end of the game (there are more locations but unlikely to feature much). Both sides took quite a battering.

Looking forward to trying the campaign game next!

And then after that, the big one, 1914: Offensive à outrance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the wonderful world of BGG I met up with fellow BGG user
Jason Godinho
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as we live somewhat close together.

I was invited and we played my first game of:
Combat Commander: Europe

This was my first card driven game and Jason was a great teacher. I had played Squad Leader back through the the 1980's and I used that experience to dictate my strategy for this game.

I had about a company of American Paratroopers fighting in a section of Carentan against a reinforced platoon of Germans with two MG-42 machine guns. The American objective were five buildings, while the German objective was to deny those buildings.

I had a limited set up area and basically set up each platoon with one on the left, right and centre who also had two 30 caliber machine guns. The Germans set up both MG-42's in the large central building covered by another machine gun armed sections that was in front of my central platoon. The remaining sections covered two of the other buildings towards the side of the map and rear.

My platoon on the left eliminated the German section holding the small objective building fairly quickly while the two crews with the MG-42's moved towards my central platoon with that platoon in a fire fight with the German machine gun armed sections. The Germans did have some eliminated sections and the Americans did suffer being subdued.

My platoon on the right moved towards the rear and left German section. An attempt was made to engage this section in melee combat, however, the defensive fire from the German section halted this attempt and broken up the platoon so some sections were outside of the leaders influence range.

The two crews with the MG-42's exited my side of the board, which I did not expect and on a later turn re-entered down by my now disorganised platoon. This lead to the elimination of most of that American platoon.

I had taken over the main large building in the centre and were pushing on the German that I had been in a fire fight with since the beginning of the game and were preparing to advance on the German survivors when a roll to see if the game continued or ended and the game ended at that point. The Germans prevailed and won the game.

I enjoyed the game very much and I hope to play it in the future. A big thank you to Jason for introducing this game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After
Jason Godinho
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and I finished Combat Commander: Europe, we decided to play a game that I brought and we added in Jason's two children, who were both excited to join us in a game of

Aliens

Because there were four of us playing I increased the number of colonial marines to 12, giving each of us 3 colonial marines each. To balance this, instead of 2 aliens per turn after the first turn, I increased the alien drops to 3.

The first turn I knew we were in for a hard game as 3 of the 4 aliens dropped onto marines. The marines managed to free 1 of the jumped marines and started towards the exit. In the middle of the map is a large stairwell that caused the marines to split into 2 groups with each group moving on either side of this stairwell. Although 1 marine was saved, another was incapacitated and the last was captured and removed. The next few turns the marines slowly moved and held on against the 3 marines arriving per turn, however, casualties started to mount and the marines ability to fight off the aliens was being reduced.

First all of the marines on the 'underside' of the stairwell were killed, captured or incapacitated while marines on the other side of the stairwell were holding their own. However, now with all of the aliens now focused on this group of marines it did not take long for those marines to be overwhelmed. Finally, Dietrich armed with a flamethrower and Frost with his sidearm were the last 2 marines. The next turn it was all over, first Dietrich was captured and then, in a corner, Frost was attacked. He killed 1 alien with his sidearm, however, the next alien defeated and captured Frost. The marines never made it past that stairwell in the centre of the map.

All 4 of us enjoyed this game. For a game that is 27 years old and OOP for most likely 25 of those years, it is still an enjoyable game that plays great and still brings the tension out from the movie that the game is based from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I did my 4th game of ...

German attacking a British-held objective. Let's just summarise by saying that once the British mortar team finally dialled in the correct range, the German advance was stopped cold.

Yesterday at TABSCON I managed a game each of ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

Yeah, we both drove for 90 minutes each way to mostly play against the guy who lives down the street. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Pewtress
Canada
Guelph
Ontario, Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

Yeah, we both drove for 90 minutes each way to mostly play against the guy who lives down the street. whistle

Not so rare Mike, Robert Tunstall and I are in the same sad state... an hour carpool to TABS to play a game, and we can hardly ever manage a ftf despite living a few blocks apart!

blush

That said we did polish off a learning game of,

Played the La Souffel battle, counter sleds and tweezers... old school wargaming at its best!

Clint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

Hey now, we did play 2 games of Days of Ire: Budapest 1956
and you guys were playing some Red7 with some other guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

Oh this made me laugh out loud. Thank you. I should try harder to get to a future TABSCON in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably far too light for most of you but I've been slowly corrupting a non-wargamer friend with Memoir '44.

This week we played Sword Beach from the base scenario book. As they're so quick we play each scenario twice, once each as Allies and Axis. First game saw me on 3 points out of the 5 needed and him on 4. However, my panzer reserves on the Axis right were finally released and a few lucky rolls meant the Axis armour penetrated and took a drive along the beach for the win. Second leg involved my Allied commandos making a pincer attack on each flank, and again some lucky rolls made a tight game go my way.

So everybody's happy, we both had two tight games and a bunch of fun, and my friend was close enough to be denied victory by luck, so he wants to settle the score...

(He's also made a few encouraging noises about trying Storm over Arnhem... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.