Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Walter
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the Big Fun version and am using the Big Fun English translation, ThunderGryph English translation and the "Overseers Plain & Simple Guide" here at BGG to figure out the game.

In those three different docs, we find:

The Big Fun English rules wrote:
Next, deal 6 cards to each player after shuffling the required cards and the cards left will not be used.

The ThunderGryph English rules wrote:
Shuffle and deal 6 trait cards to each player ...
and don't address the extras.

Plain & Simple Guide wrote:
The Leader shuffles the Trait Card deck, and deals 6 cards to each player ... The unused Trait Cards form the discard pile (face down)

And, I'll note that the Plain & Simple Guide got an "I like it very much" from ThunderGryph...

So, which is it?

Thanks,
-Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not used cards go to the discard pile.

Consider that there is a certain ammount of cards to play with depending on the player count, you can find the card quantity in our rulebook and player aid cards.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Ortega
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to chime in, the extras are indeed addressed in the rulebook.

Just because I don't know which extras you refer to, I will point those out in the rulebook.

If you mean all the cards that didn't go into the game becauise the aid card instructed you to pick only a certain amount of certain cards:

It is specified in the set-up part of the rulebook that the extras are kept in the box.

If you mean the 6th trait card when drafting:

It is specific in the drafting part of the rulebook that when everyone has finally picked 5 trait cards, the 6th everyone should have goes to a discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Walter
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the extras I'm talking about are ones that are in the game, but not dealt out the players.

Suppose you're playing a 3 player game.

The aid card says to build a deck from {3,4,5,5,5,3} of the trait cards, making a playing deck of 25. The other 11 left over trait cards are removed from the game. Got that.

The leader takes the playing deck of 25, shuffles them, and deals out 6 to each player. In a 3 player game, there are now 18 cards in player hands. That leaves 7 left over cards that are in the game but not dealt out to the players. What to do with those?

The Big Fun rules say that those 7 cards are put aside and not used this round. (But they will be put back into the deck for shuffling in the next round.) And after the draft, there will be 3 cards in the discard pile because each player discarded one.

The Plain & Simple Guide here says that those 7 cards form the start of the discard pile. And after the draft, there will now be 10 cards in the discard pile because each player discarded one.

The ThunderGryph rules don't say what to do with those 7 cards.

Gonzalo has clarified that ThunderGryph did intend for those 7 cards to be the start of the discard pile.

And it makes a difference because it affects the choice of cards available to a player who correctly denied being the highest. It also affects the number of Greed cards available for the Horse Face Diety to get from the discard pile during the Greed phase.

Thanks,
-Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Ortega
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, yeah, those cards form the discard pile, if anything you should be guiding yourself with the "Plain and Simple" rulebook which I suppose is based on Big Fun's rulebook instead of even considering reading ThunderGryph's because there are changes here and there for balancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.