Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Overseers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does Showdown happen if most voted player admits? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Walter
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, difference in rules between Thundergryph & Big Fun.

If the player who was got the most votes admits it, does the showdown happen?

Big Fun says no, skip Showdown and go to Burglary.
Thundergryph doesn't explicitly say what to do after admitting.
The Plain & Simple Guide here at BGG explicitly says yes: "Now proceed to Showdown"

What to do?

Thanks,
-Richard
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rw2e wrote:
Again, difference in rules between Thundergryph & Big Fun.

If the player who was got the most votes admits it, does the showdown happen?

Big Fun says no, skip Showdown and go to Burglary.
Thundergryph doesn't explicitly say what to do after admitting.
The Plain & Simple Guide here at BGG explicitly says yes: "Now proceed to Showdown"

What to do?

Thanks,
-Richard


Hello Richard!

Yes proceed to showdown. Every player show their cards and then pass to the Greed phase.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Walter
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, now I see:

The Big Fun rules say in voting phase: "if admit, then show cards and skip showdown."

While in the Thundergryph rules, the showdown says "show cards, then if deny <...Do Stuff...>" which ends up being the same: if a player admits, then the only thing that happens in showdown is "show cards" and rest of the <...Do Stuff...> is skipped.

The different grouping confused me. But I got better...

Thanks,
-Richard
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
United States
Belton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xoul wrote:
rw2e wrote:
Again, difference in rules between Thundergryph & Big Fun.

If the player who was got the most votes admits it, does the showdown happen?

Big Fun says no, skip Showdown and go to Burglary.
Thundergryph doesn't explicitly say what to do after admitting.
The Plain & Simple Guide here at BGG explicitly says yes: "Now proceed to Showdown"

What to do?

Thanks,
-Richard


Hello Richard!

Yes proceed to showdown. Every player show their cards and then pass to the Greed phase.


What about if the voted player admits, but he is NOT the highest scorer? (In other words, a player is voted highest, he admits it, but upon reveal, another player is higher.) What happens then? Nothing and proceed to Greed stage? It seems like there should be an advantage to actually being the highest scorer.

This came up a number of times in our games tonight, and none of us were exactly sure if that meant we should do something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player admits that's it. You reveal cards and go to the greed phase.
The only way that the player will be rewarded by not being the highest is by denying it, so basically you need to take the risk.

If you admitted and after revealing you realize you were the highest, then you can feel good about your call because you avoided losing more by denying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
United States
Belton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xoul wrote:
If a player admits that's it. You reveal cards and go to the greed phase.
The only way that the player will be rewarded by not being the highest is by denying it, so basically you need to take the risk.

If you admitted and after revealing you realize you were the highest, then you can feel good about your call because you avoided losing more by denying.


Okay. Thanks. Last one: I assume then that if a player is voted as being the highest and admits to it, but during the showdown, the player is NOT the highest, there is no consequence, right? Neither the player who admitted to being the highest nor the player who is actually the highest is penalized, nor do they get a bonus. Correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonact wrote:

Okay. Thanks. Last one: I assume then that if a player is voted as being the highest and admits to it, but during the showdown, the player is NOT the highest, there is no consequence, right? Neither the player who admitted to being the highest nor the player who is actually the highest is penalized, nor do they get a bonus. Correct?


Yes, both your affirmations are correct.

Only the most voted player will have to face the consecuenses. The main strategies for the game are:

1) You draft a very good score and you bluff your way to make people vote for another player.
2) You draft quite low and try to drag attention so players will vote for you (and by denying you will get an extra card, maybe the one you need to complete a set!)
3) You draft average and try to understand if you are the highest during judgement, and depending on that you will act accordingly.

The game has some intricate strategies that you will get as soon as you play the game more.

Have fun!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.