Atlantic Wall: D-Day to Falaise» Forums » Rules

Subject: German Kampfgruppen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Bryant
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First a design question, then a related rule question:

Why are German mech divisions represented as companies and battalions in this game, as opposed to Kampfgruppen as in the other games?

Regarding 6.1.2 (German AFV company stacking), which I presume is intended to let you build your own KGs - Is the result treated as one unit for the purposes of hits? I.e., if you have an AFV company stacked with a Mech company, do they share a hit like a single hybrid unit would?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Karlsson
Sweden
Stenkullen
--
flag msg tools
Yes, 6.1.2 states that they're treated as one unit including max step losses, so a stack consisting of only an AVF and mech that suffers 2 hits will only need to take one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bryant
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not really what I was asking. If you look at the other games, the Germans have some two-step mixed units consisting of armor and mech infantry. Since they are single units the components don't take hits independently; one hit reduces the strength of the mixed unit.

I was wondering if the same should apply when the Germans use the stacking rule to create an ad hoc mixed unit in AW. I.e., if one AFV step and one mech infantry step are being treated as one unit, should a hit be taken as if it were on a mixed unit rather than applied to one or the other? (E.g., total their attack/defense values, divide by two, and round up, leaving you a weaker 1-step mixed unit.)

That mechanism doesn't work so well if the infantry has more than one step. However, all the mixed units I see in the other games are 2-step units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Karlsson
Sweden
Stenkullen
--
flag msg tools
Ah, OK, I can't imagine that would be the case as that would be rather messy to keep track on. If the stack splits later on one unit must take the hit themselves, otherwise you end up with two half-hits.

If I'm wrong I'm sure Joe or Doug will correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bryant
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it seems like a bad idea.

Also, I looked at the other games' counters yesterday, and only WaR represents elements of Panzer XXs that way, so AW isn't really the outlier that I thought it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
remember, in AWall and Hurtgen, a Pz co stacked with a bn or other two step unit of the same division is treated like one unit for all purposes. This means lower losses etc. By the time we get to Wacht, training and efficiency has dropped. Hence, the lower tactical efficiency of the German formations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.