11 Posts

Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: Decimate a Planet. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
This is a bit unrealistic don't you think. Decimating a planet with a star ship shake

Just finished my first game, First Re con. This is my only quibble so far, with what I feel will be a most enjoyable experience for many years to come. A very deep, high quality game. Can't see anyone even remotely moved by Star Trek not enjoying this one.

As for my little gripe, well no points lost there at all. I can understand a playable game had to be made.
Well anyhow, I'll just think that it could be possible by some stretch

This game makes me wish I didn't give away my old Starfleet command PC game. Not sure why that game didn't grab me. But I see there is a download of Starfleet command III at the retro gaming site, The ISO Zone.

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/star-tr...
Do I dareninja
Just realized it says RIP. Looks like the download is deadangry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
Got it!. Neutralize planet. Don't think that word would have made me quibble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it you are not familiar with the many times a starship decimated a planet in Star Trek TV episodes, including federation starships doing that.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcAbI-4_io

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
rbelikov wrote:
I take it you are not familiar with the many times a starship decimated a planet in Star Trek TV episodes, including federation starships doing that.

shake

No. I was only ever into the original star trek. Didn't really watch that much next gen stuff. Thought it was all to much costume and make up centric. But a great video though. First time I have seen that captain in action as well. Yeah, he's not bad.

OK. Decimate is no longer a dirty wordmodest
Maybe they decimated planets in the original as well. Don't really remember.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:

shake
Wow, you guys ar good. I have never been able to accurately determine the damage to a planet in any of the Star Trek episodes or movies unless it gets completely destroyed. How are you guys able to guesstimate the amount of DEVASTATION close enough to 10% to call it DECIMATED?

Or am I the only person left on what is left of this planet to know these are two different terms?whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been thousands of years (before the English language even existed) since the word "decimate" had much to do with 10%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It's been thousands of years (before the English language even existed) since the word "decimate" had much to do with 10%.
Actually it has only been a few years.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
I thought, what on earth are Martimer and David raving on aboutwow

So, for the very first time in my existence, I decide to look up decimate in the dictionary.

Decimate - to destroy tenth or large proportion of.

But that's not rightshake One tenth ain't a large proportion. Seven tenths plus would be a large proportionlaugh

So, for the very first time in my existence, I decide to look up annihilate.

Annihilate - Blot out of existence.

And so there's the rub!

I have either been hoodwinked into thinking decimate and annihilate mean the same thing. Or I have hoodwinked myself into thinking they mean the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Phil Goodroll wrote:
Decimate - to destroy tenth or large proportion of.

But that's not rightshake One tenth ain't a large proportion. Seven tenths plus would be a large proportionlaugh

Perhaps not in general, but if you are referring to extreme outcomes such as destroying something or killing people, then 10% is indeed a large proportion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten percent was enough to "increase the morale" of battle-hardened Roman soldiers.

Like my father-in-law likes to say: "The beatings will continue until morale improves!" based on his time in the corporate workplace.

Annihilate and devastate are much better and more descriptive terms. Decimate does have a very distinct meaning and I do not know why its misuse is such a "trigger". Mustn't let anyone be wrong on the internet!!!whistle

As for what David and I are talking about - He does not agree with very many things I say and vice versa. I have never met him in person and I do not look forward to doing so. I do wish him a happy life and bear no ill will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Goodroll wrote:
I have either been hoodwinked into thinking decimate and annihilate mean the same thing. Or I have hoodwinked myself into thinking they mean the same thing.

Neither. "Kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of" is now the primary meaning of "decimate", and "destroy one tenth of" is a historical, dated usage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.