Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
From todays newspaper Het Brabants Dagblad:

American steals little plate museum

An 56-year old American has been arrested in a hotel in Oss. He had stolen an hand-painted little plate of great historical significance from the War Museum in Overloon. By means of camera images the police knew how to track the perpetrator. The man got a fine of 600 euros. He paid immediately, after which he got released.

To those who believe that some cultures are superior to others ... ask yourself the questions .... Where does it end? And when does it stop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere, or even a clear question (really, what exactly is it that you're asking, and how does it relate to the story?), but I'm buggered if I can spot it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere, or even a clear question (really, what exactly is it that you're asking, and how does it relate to the story?), but I'm buggered if I can spot it...

I think the last line relates to the recent claims here that US culture being a great culture, the greatest culture ever.

I'm more inclined to consider the American in the story to be an idiot - and one who should have been fined much more and then deported. I wouldn't like to guess whether US culture creates a greater proportion of people like the man in the story than other cultures. However every culture I am aware of contains a chunk of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So a person from country A tried to steal something of cultural significance to country B?

Hardly an American thing. 2 idiotic British students got in trouble for lifting stuff from Auschwitz last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AttackFactorZero wrote:
So a person from country A tried to steal something of cultural significance to country B?

Hardly an American thing. 2 idiotic British students got in trouble for lifting stuff from Auschwitz last year.

Although usually one would expect more mature actions from a 56 year old than a couple of teenagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit, I have always thought of shoplifting, at least among my generation, as an American disease. From the years I've spent in Europe, I don't think it's that common there. Pick-pocketing, however -- that's a different thing! I'm most on guard against pick-pockets when I'm in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
I must admit, I have always thought of shoplifting, at least among my generation, as an American disease. From the years I've spent in Europe, I don't think it's that common there. Pick-pocketing, however -- that's a different thing! I'm most on guard against pick-pockets when I'm in Europe.

Really? I've managed to go almost 40 years in Europe without ever being pickpocketed, nor have I met anyone who was. On the other hand, I heard of kids at school shoplifting back in the day.

I did have my bike light knicked off my bike a few months ago, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
bob_santafe wrote:

Really? I've managed to go almost 40 years in Europe without ever being pickpocketed, nor have I met anyone who was. On the other hand, I heard of kids at school shoplifting back in the day.

Shoplifting in the UK has always been prevalent, and is currently on the rise, by about 4-5% year-on-year. Pickpockets are common everywhere, including the US, in dense urban areas, for obvious reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
bob_santafe wrote:

That's good to hear -- perhaps things have changed since I was a kid. Although I understand there was a time, much later, when bag-grabbing from thieves on motorcycles (which I consider a type of violent pick-pocketing, as opposed to shop lifting), was becoming common in Italy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
How does one steal a little plate museum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
Salo sila wrote:
bob_santafe wrote:

Shoplifting in the UK has always been prevalent, and is currently on the rise, by about 4-5% year-on-year. Pickpockets are common everywhere, including the US, in dense urban areas, for obvious reasons.

It doesn't seem very common at all in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On pick-pocketing
lfisher wrote:
It doesn't seem very common at all in the US.

This is an interesting read http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2011/02/the_lo... which talks about the decline of pick-pocketing in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.