Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WFWWII playthrough
Mission Country Stroll Objective Rescue
This is my 6th mission of the Polish Campaign.
Forces: PS Werner skills Pistol & SMG, Local Knowledge, Agile, Pitcher, Survivor.
Equipment: MP40+extra ammo, Web gear, Helmet, Canteen, Binocs, Pistol, 2xGrenades, Smoke, Comfort box, Chocolate bar.
NPS: Ehrt and Kraus, Squad: Frank and Winkler.
Total 50 Rp with the +2 jam rules.

Turn one: I expend my Comfort box and Canteen to increase my hand size by 8 cards. I then play Farm drawing Hostiles Small Truck, Rifle sqd and Reserves. I spend an advance to send Kraus into location who throws his grenade against the Reserves, 2K 1S. Werner now plays Flanking attack to enter Farm throws grenade expends 1Xp for Pitcher skill +2. Kills Rifle sqd. Rest of troops enter into Farm and attack Small Truck 1K 1S. Werner uses last action to steady aim and kill reserves. No hostile reinforcements.

Turn Two: Due to bad rolling it takes 8 actions to get one kill result on the Truck! I use scrounge to get 3 grenades back. No hostile reinforcements.

Turn Three: I have now burnt through my bonus cards though I have gained 5Xp. I use Local knowledge to place Crops (nature move timer back 1) hostiles Reinforcing & harassing forces plus event (+2 to location entrance) now up to 4.
Werner uses Binoc to give Kraus extra action. Werner then uses move out to to enter crops and throws grenade +2 pitcher 3K 1S v Reinforcing. Kraus moves back throws greande and fires at harassing forces 1K 1S. Rest of troops enter crops and kill last reticle on Reinforcing. recruit reinforcements appears.

Turn four: Kraus kills harassing forces and moves back to Farm. The Troops deal with recuits while Werner uses Clear orders and Stay Low by filling hand twice. No hostile reinforcements pay to retain Clear orders.

Turn Five: Use Local knowledge to play Ruins. Hostiles Screening and Small Truck. Werner plays Flanking attack (3 cards) preps fire a grenade with pitcher +2 hits screening 2K 1S then refills hand. Troops enter in but fail to cause any kills. No hostile reinforcements.

Turn Six: The screening force is finish of screening and a Steep slope location is placed, hostile Cavalry which are suppressed. I have to use Over watch to destroy Truck. No hostile reinforcements.

Turn 7 Werner uses Binoc to give Winkler extra action who kills Cavalry then moves into steep slope. Werner then uses 2 hand refills to move the NPS and Sqd into the Steep slope. No hostile reinforcements.

Turn Eight: Werner moves into slope but Binocs fail so decide to wait a turn to activate objective (this was a mistake).

Turn Nine: Objective activated I have 3 turns to complete. Hostiles Harassing Forces, Dug in, Rifle sqd and Screening. But there is also an event Straffing attack I expend 3 Xp but lose a turn now only 2 left and if I do not deal with Harassing forces only this turn! Binocs no gain, so Werner fills hand luckily gets trail blazer and cover mewhich he plays. I send Winkler in enter cost 7 then trail blaze to bring to 3 cost. Kraus and Ehrt suppress Harassing forces while rest of troops move into objective. Dug in fires at werner 1/1 so no effect. Rifle sqd moves into slope as target Ehrt. No hostile reinforcements retain cover me.

Turn Ten: Last turn Frank and Winkler kill Dug in. Kraus causes 2K on Rifle sqd while a mortar causes 2K on screening. This left me one action and I need 2 kills, I refill hand picking one snap shot. Mission fails by 1 suppress marker, I should have used Winklers “His number was up” to have removed one of the hostiles when placing. My mistake at turn 8 not activating objective even though my PS had used all his actions and the strafing attack cost me.

My campaign ends with 21vps an Operational victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for Peter, but I've now done two play throughs, both British versus German front line enemy.

One mission out to #3 and one to #4. First one went reasonably well, but technically fell short of my goal as I didn't hold the final objective for the required time. The second mission I just completed was a nasty one for the attacking Brits. German units just kept showing up, and during a breach of a building, a squad got completely wiped out by the combined fire from a machine gun unit and a rifle unit. Just didn't have enough left in the end to push the advance to a win.

I'm really enjoying myself so far, the game plays well, creates a narrative, and is fun. I'm finding there are a few unclear bits in the rules (see some of my rules questions), but it's still working out okay.

(Next, I think I'll try a German counter-attack on British/Commonwealth frontline soldiers, ala Norrey-en-Bessin (June 44).)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stories that your game tells is one of the great features of WF (and ROTZ!).

In an early playtest - I named a Player soldier after myself and my other Soldiers after friends - I didn't enjoy the game much when all 9 soldiers in the section (3 PS, 2 NPS & 4 SQ) were progressively downed and the mission failed... soblue

When Player soldier "David" died (I kicked a mine) it wasn't too bad..

I was particularly sad about the last.. Squad Soldier "Roger".. he was trapped in a location (no PS left to pay movement cost out of there) and he was Wounded & suppressed, Wounded again, Suppressed and then the final wound downed him.. his stand was gallant.. but terminally... and futile.. he should have surrendered.. soblue

I am so much happier that the names on the cards do not match the people in the photos... It allows me to disconnect..

On a happier note...

I'm very glad to hear people are enjoying the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

(Next, I think I'll try a German counter-attack on British/Commonwealth frontline soldiers, ala Norrey-en-Bessin (June 44).)

Consider building your German section around 1-2 player soldiers and a MG42..
Add some NPS/SQ soldiers to make up the numbers.

PS Braun with a MG42 is devastating!
If you have Expansion 8, Take NPS Noak as his LMG team mate (Spotter and Loader!) and the sound of tearing vinyl will be deafening!
(hint Noak will probably never fire his rifle - so keep feeding his ammo into the MG42)

Deploy the MG42 to spray the Hostiles for SUPP/EKIA and have the rest of the section assault. Bring forward the MG42 and repeat...

The Tommies will regret returning to Europa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What do I think of the game, I have both WFSF and WFWWII they maybe the same system but the are definitely different. WFSF feels like you are special forces unit taking out the bad guys rarely losing anyone or a scenario but still tense and exciting to play.
WFWWII is the opposite you really have to work at winning the scenarios and expect casualties. Since it arrived a week ago I have played it 12 times the 1st four was the same scenario played till I won. I then started the Polish campaign as the Germans. I played 6 of these losing only the last one with no troops lost. I carried on the next two in the campaign winning both of them. The game is very intense, in WFSF it is rare for the Hostiles to get a shot as you have killed or suppressed them. In WFWWII you will probably be shot at every turn.
Xp in WFSF is accumulated very easily in WFWWII it the most precious commodity and difficult to accumulate as there is always calls for its use.
Things I like
1 The evade ability by expending Xp
2 The costs of the troops I am playing a 87RP scenario using 2PS 2NPS and 3 SQD gives the feel of a unit. In WFSF this would have been 4 soldiers.
3 The events are brilliant and would love to see then adapted to WFSF
4 Bipod and spray effect are great! Especially with the machine gunner skill.

Things that I go aargh at!
1 Calculating the costs and loadouts I keep getting different numbers. I want it but I spend so much time sorting it out. Need a spreadsheet.
2 Local Knowledge skill seems too good for its points cost of 2.One escape scenario I played I never got shot at once because I could chose my locations and kept ahead of the enemy by killing or suppressing.
3 I have not got the footlocker but is there a German NPS with the MG42, as when you playing the campaign I had -2 loadout then -2 from the scenario meaning my soldiers had 9 loadout each using webbing and as the MG42 cost 8 this left me short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PandaBall wrote:

Things that I go aargh at!
1 Calculating the costs and loadouts I keep getting different numbers. I want it but I spend so much time sorting it out. Need a spreadsheet.
2 Local Knowledge skill seems too good for its points cost of 2.One escape scenario I played I never got shot at once because I could chose my locations and kept ahead of the enemy by killing or suppressing.
3 I have not got the footlocker but is there a German NPS with the MG42, as when you playing the campaign I had -2 loadout then -2 from the scenario meaning my soldiers had 9 loadout each using webbing and as the MG42 cost 8 this left me short.

1. I'm old school - a pad with four columns - Soldier, Thing, RP and LO and I keep track of deductions - critical first - it then becomes a race between RP expenditure and LO.
2. It does eat through XP and is limited as a result. If you think it makes the game too easy (Like the Scoped Rifle in ROTZ!) then you can always not use it. Indeed - anything in your copy of the game that you don't like - you can change - I don't think that DVG will kick in your door and force you to use Local Knowledge ninja - but I have been wrong before!
3. Expansion #5 has many goodies - including - 5-17 NPS Simon who comes with an MG42 (My copy of his card has my Development notes on - I suggested some changes - I don't have the final printed version - so I'll not post any details as they could be wrong).

Another option - in Wave 2 you will likely find a few more nations getting:
Cavalry Horse 8 RP - Equipment (Flagged)
You may perform a Move
each Soldier Turn without
spending an Action.
Gain +4 Loadout.
Gain +2 Movement.
Suffer ‐1 to your Cover.
You may Expend after you
suffer an Attack, to
suffer no effect.
Loadout cost: 0
Limit 1 per Soldier.

There is likely also to be a mule (no movement bonus), a MG hand cart and for Belgians a MG dog cart.
At some stage there may be Motorcycles with or without side cars, jeeps and the like...
I'd also like to do an AFV Expansion - where your soldiers are the crew and accompanying Infantry (lots of great movie sources for inspiration - including Fury)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What I find is I work everything out get it all looking right count again find I'm out or check Load outs 1 too many deduct an item recount and a point over. I have a 1st class honours degree in Maths but I hate counting give me a matrix with 4 variables and I will work out the eigen values but not arithmetic!!!

The fact that there is a German with a MG42 probably swings me to buying the Footlocker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just ordered the footlocker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This phrase used over and over again made me cry a little... "No hostile reinforcements." I should be so lucky... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am now in a second Polish campaign have done 10 missions so far. The one problem is I keep rolling 3-4 for the campaign event. It now cost +6 to all skill cost. Took me 2 missions to get 10 skill points to buy Operator 4.
If you ask me what is the most important weapon it must be a MG with a spotter followed closely by the binocs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently realized that I could have won this game. I misread the strafing card I took it as pay 3Xp and advance timer counter or everyone takes a wound. It only when playing a later scenario and rereading the card that it is 3 choices 1 pay 3xp, 2 advance timer counter, 3 everyone wounded. This would have given me and extra turn which I think would have been enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.