Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To celebrate the long awaited release of Cave Evil: Warcults, I wanted to delve into a reoccurring issue I've had with the original game.

Based on card art alone, the Blood Sorcerer is by far my favorite Necromancer. But its potential usefulness seems to elude me in my mock solo games, where I often designate it as my "main" (meaning my pretend me, which is usually battling against an imaginary construct made in my wife's image).

To hold and use four items is inherently useful, but it feels very difficult to actually attain that goal. Time and resources spent finding and conjuring items takes away from summoning creatures to expand your army. Assuming you reach that maximum limit after all that effort, is it ever as formidable as instantly incinerating or controlling an entire enemy squad?

Other than obvious mismatches (facing-off alone against an Ice Dead Sorceress who cannot control your Necromancer squad), the only benefit I see is when combating an Awakened Evil. But it seems like such a long and treacherous road to reach that point, which is in and of itself a losing proposition.

I know a game of Cave Evil is never a balanced affair, but I wonder if others can enlighten me as to some strategies, to more effectively harness the strength of my most favored and least powerful Necromancer.

While we are on the subject, there has been a nagging question eating away at me from when I first laid eyes upon the Blood Sorcerer. How does it wield four items at once? Are they ensorcelled and magically orbit around the necromancer until needed, or does the Blood Sorcerer have four arms? Please tell me the Blood Sorcerer has four arms...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me among the curious. I, too, really love the art and the name but struggle to use him effectively. By the time I've amassed enough good items to really make use of him, either the game is almost over or I'm on the run.

And a lot of the Awakened Evils are immune to spells and items, soooo...even that isn't much of a consolation.

I'm half-tempted to house rule that the Blood Sorcerer starts with a randomly-selected non-Bomb item -- maybe roll for the deck like one would for a Spawn Roll, then take the first item drawn and reshuffle before starting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the pete wrote:
And a lot of the Awakened Evils are immune to spells and items, soooo...even that isn't much of a consolation.

Thank you for bringing attention to this. I completely forgot that out of all the Awakened Evils, you can only use items and spells on the Darkest Statue of Death. But then it also allows “Once per Game” abilities to defeat it, so that again does no favors whatsoever for our friend, the Blood Sorcerer.

Yet under the Blood Sorcerer ability description, it is stated "Note: since this is not a once-per-game ability, it can be used to defeat any Awakened Evil." Should this then take precedence over the usual immunity that Awakened Evils have for items and spells?

the pete wrote:
I'm half-tempted to house rule that the Blood Sorcerer starts with a randomly-selected non-Bomb item -- maybe roll for the deck like one would for a Spawn Roll, then take the first item drawn and reshuffle before starting?

I had this exact same thought. Or more specifically, maybe roll a d4 to see how many starting items it receives, then roll the d4 again to select which deck each item is drawn from (this obviously runs the risk of potentially becoming too overpowered). Not to mention, I would wonder and worry about item frequency in decks other than Construct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzitzimime wrote:

Yet under the Blood Sorcerer ability description, it is stated "Note: since this is not a once-per-game ability, it can be used to defeat any Awakened Evil." Should this then take precedence over the usual immunity that Awakened Evils have for items and spells?

That would be an interesting wrinkle. Not how I've interpreted it to this point but I'd be curious to see how well that worked in practice. Might create a different strategy for Blood Sorcerers...trying to hang back and conserve strength long enough to awaken the Evil and then dominate the end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like people to find their own strategies, but I've seen the Blood Sorcerer played with incredible power. If you add Carts and other items that add Item Use, this guy can make incredibly huge stacks. With various carts, its can soon carry many things, and if someone adds Trinkets creatures and items there may be no naturally stronger Necromancer.

It is a Necromancer that begins weak, but can become the strongest. Each Necro that uses its once a game ability is done with its mega power, but this guy can keep growing and growing in might.

But if it isn't used in these ways than it will seem rather weak in comparison, so it is dependent on player investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you very much for the official response.

But just for clarification, can the Blood Sorcerer use its items and spells against Awakened Evils normally immune to such things?

And more importantly, how many spindly arms does this necromancer have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in CE. But there are some things, like the Statue, that can be destroyed by it. But no EndGame can be killed with a Necro power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
"Did you too learn that secret from the river: that there is no time?"
mbmbmbmbmb

Tzitzimime wrote:
...And more importantly, how many spindly arms does this necromancer have?

It must be a tenticular situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.