Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question was asked back in 2013, and I did put this in that thread however I fear it will likely go unanswered there so have posted it afresh ...

Basically, how do SPs move between Ports and their associated Coastal Forts. An example might be moving to Fort Morgan from Mobile, and vice versa. Can people check my understanding is correct:

1. This would be naval/riverine movement, and restricted to 1SP?

2. This would also be a Division move for activation purposes so a 1 value Strategy Card would be needed (although without the rules to hand I have niggle in the back of my mind that naval movement requires a 3 value SC?)

3. If you were moving from a Coastal Fort to its associated Port (going inland), as it is classed as naval/riverine movement the 1 SP would have to stop in the Port as you can't combine naval and land movement.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say yes to all three with a few caveats. Rebel riverine move needs the play of ANY-value card (point 2). Also, Fed riverine move can take more than 1 SP, even into a fort, whereas Reb move is restricted to one, with the addition that they can only staff forts with 1 SP tops (point 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Pepe for the clarifications.

I'm still puzzled/struggling to get my head around/visualise how the two adjacent spaces of a coastal fort and it's port require 'naval' movement to get between the two. Did most forts actually require a boat to get to and from them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Entner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of them were on islands or surrounded by swamps (typically being at the mouths of rivers where the significant port cities were). You can go through the list, here is a good starting point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coastal_fortifications....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The coastal forts in For the People generally represent off shore locations that would require naval invasion to take control. Once the fort fell, then the Union could feed supplies and reinforcements through the controlled fort to take control of the associated port. Even though in some cases once the fort fell the movement to the port could take place over land, the supply chain still came from the sea.

I live near Fort Fisher near the associated port of Wilmington, NC where one of the largest Union naval invasions of the US Civil War took place. The Fort is actually located on a peninsula guarding the entrance to the Cape Fear River from the Atlantic Ocean and is roughly 28 miles from Wilmington. Although Wilmington is reachable via the Cape Fear River, troops could and did also march over land into Wilmington once the fort fell.

I think what Mark Herman has done in his design approach regarding For the People is to simplify the approach from coastal forts to ports to be consistent with how to handle the situation in the general perspective of a board game. I haven't researched a lot of the other forts involved in the war, but I would guess that each was unique to a certain degree and that trying to convey those details into this game system would be too complex for what the game is. I personally think the coastal fort rules work well the way they are written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure where the 1SP limit comes from. Are we talking about Confederate movement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,

Yes, for naval movement the limits are 1 SP for the Confederates and 3 SP for the Union unless the Union uses their special army naval move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.