United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
All I make is junk.
badge
The Great Mysterio!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been 10 years since that fateful day I received Settlers of Catan (3rd Ed) as a gift for a company holiday party (at the beginning of December). Since then my collection has grown a great deal and I've become quite the collector.

This week I'll be celebrating by playing one of my top 7 board games of all time, one per night. I'll start with Puerto Rico, which was my first "favorite game."

How long have you been in the hobby and what was your gateway game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I feel like the industry -- and community -- continues to get better and better as it matures.

I'd have to credit one of my cousins teaching me to play Monopoly during a Christmas trip in '72 as the first step on my road to becoming a tabletop gamer.

But Naval War was my first "favorite game", and I think I still have my original set -- and now you've inspired me to look for it, and play this weekend! =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern gaming has had a 2 year hold on me, but only for the last year has it been serious. I started with 7 Wonders and Ticket to Ride. Followed closely by Settlers of Catan. Now my wife laments my obsession and wonders where these new games keep coming from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
TrainwreckX wrote:

Christmas 2016 will be my 35th anniversary of being in the "hobby". My gateway game is D&D. I got my copy of that on xmas 1981. I consider that my "gateway" into the gaming hobby, as before that gaming was the occasional game of chess, LIFE, and Payday...after that I approached table top gaming as a lifestyle playing PRG's mixed in with Axis and Allies, Civilization, Titan, Dune, Ogre, and many years into various other aspects of the hobby.

This year was also my 20th anniversary of playing Settlers of Catan. I played it for the first time in 1996 while working at Wargames West in Albuquerque(Who actually almost bought Mayfair games that same year). I played it just 3 weeks ago....That is some holding power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TrainwreckX wrote:

The first game I remember actually playing was Car Wars in 1985, not counting the random Parker Bros games at my grandparents house. There was a decade-long break from gaming which Battleball brought me back from and showed me just how much mass gaming had changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan was also my gateway game, but it was only 1 year ago. I've been on quite the journey for my first year in the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TrainwreckX wrote:

Designer games : 1982 - Rise and Decline of the Third Reich

.. and of course I had been playing games before that date Games played before BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.