$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Desired new mechanics? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what sort of new mechanics are people hoping to see? I've got a few:

* A multi-stage/form boss fight. It would be a bit fiddly, but it would be pretty neat to fight a boss that changes forms and environments as you fight it.


* Pets! Adam has already said they won't be in there, but I still think it'd be cool.

* A fight where the survivors are in the middle of a fight between two really powerful monsters and the monsters never directly attack the survivors but cause incidental damage that needs to be dodged.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I just want (and I've mentioned it on this board before):

1) To force players to go for level 2 and 3 hunts, preserving the game difficulty into late game (no inverted difficulty curve),
2) To remove most of the 'cheesing', i.e. sending crap survivors to fight a tough monster, knowing that they'll be wiped, but 'that's alright'. This second thing would be a lot more difficult to implement though, would probably entail reworking most of the Hunt phase and Settlement phase events/randomness - and that's not going to happen.

3) Better rules for incorporating the expansions, I think will get these (the Node system).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A tweet emerged showing how the lvls 2 are going to be changed. Now they seem worth it.



8 monster 5 basic? Nice.
1 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zamnath wrote:
So what sort of new mechanics are people hoping to see? I've got a few:

* A multi-stage/form boss fight. It would be a bit fiddly, but it would be pretty neat to fight a boss that changes forms and environments as you fight it.


* Pets! Adam has already said they won't be in there, but I still think it'd be cool.

* A fight where the survivors are in the middle of a fight between two really powerful monsters and the monsters never directly attack the survivors but cause incidental damage that needs to be dodged.


#3 on your list sounds pretty awesome. I love AI fights in video games, and that sounds like similar, then scrambling between them trying to sneak hits in to keep them evenly damaged so you can cake walk over the winner sounds fantastic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
A tweet emerged showing how the lvls 2 are going to be changed. Now they seem worth it.



8 monster 5 basic? Nice.


Getting a little too generous for my tastes...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
A tweet emerged showing how the lvls 2 are going to be changed. Now they seem worth it.



8 monster 5 basic? Nice.


Getting a little too generous for my tastes...


Too early to speculate without first knowing the full extent of the advanced rules, if locations are also being reworked with certain monster cards, and other things. We could also be getting a lot of new resource sinks that will further add to the lengthy settlement phase debates. Maybe innovation costs have been adjusted, etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panwuan Panwuan
msg tools
mbmb
draxx01 wrote:
Epidemius wrote:
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
A tweet emerged showing how the lvls 2 are going to be changed. Now they seem worth it.



8 monster 5 basic? Nice.


Getting a little too generous for my tastes...


Too early to speculate without first knowing the full extent of the advanced rules, if locations are also being reworked with certain monster cards, and other things. We could also be getting a lot of new resource sinks that will further add to the lengthy settlement phase debates. Maybe innovation costs have been adjusted, etc.


Agreed that seems generous, but surely there will be more expensive gear or innovations.
Currently you can critfarm a Lvl1 antelope full deck and dont risk more than the occasional lvl 2 lion up, and some phoenix until the end. making the lower lvls to give less resources, and/or having more expenses down the road, probably he is looking to force us to go after lv2 and lv3 to keep up
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
We generally fight lvl 2s anyway and have had fun. Last campaign it already seemed like we had too many resources but we also didn't make a lot of resource intensive stuff. Any incentive is fine by me though so we can try out other gear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought of another one:

For the rumored "rust sea" expansion, have a fight on a boat in the middle of the ocean Jaws style.

Terrain: Boats, ocean, and islands.

Boat is large enough for 6 survivors and can be moved by the survivors each turn.

Ocean can be swum through at half movement rounded up. Maybe make some sort of minor hazard (like incidental damage or a stat debuff) to discourage completely abandoning the boat without making it completely worthless to do so.

Islands: small land masses with an outer and inner ring. The inner ring is always treated as regular ground. The outer ring usually acts as regular ground but can be submerged, turning it into ocean and dragging any hapless survivors on the submersible ground into the ocean and towards the monster's maw.

The monster could have a submerge mechanic similar to slendie's disappearance mechanic. Maybe also give it little tentacle tiles to pop up near settlers and attack them sometimes, though that could render the fight too difficult. Give the survivors the ability to pick up "not dynamite" during the hunt phase, allowing a survivor that is holding it to blow up and damage the monster if it gets eaten by it.


Or something like the above.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
My wish would be an expansion / some mechanics that offers a way for different campaigns / settlements to interact with each other.
I know that sounds very complex and hard to balance, but it would be more than awesome.
In my Imagination 2 settlements which are roughly / exactly in the same lantern year could interact like this:

- trade with each other
- send survivors of two settlements (two survivors per settlement) out to hunt together.
- learn skills, bonuses and inovations from each other
- steal from another settlement
- raid another settlement to steal resources and survivors(nemesis-fight for the defending settlement)
- have war with another settlement (quarry-fight)
- Enslave another settlement and force them to give you resources every lantern year (At least till they revolt against you)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
2 by 1 and 1 by 2 gear cards for very strong gear. You get an amazing piece of gear but lose 2 slots

Prismatic gear cards. There colour band (I have totally forgotten their names) can be red blue or green. So you can use them to complete affinities. However if you join two prismatic squares you get no affinity, as they need an existing colour to copy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. Yeah, I'm very enthused that there's more incentive to go after higher levels, but...

1-how would that interact with expansion monsters? Since, despite it being near-standard across the game, it's still listed in each showdown.

2-there's got to be some counterpoint, or the game just got a hell of a lot easier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.