Hide
22 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Approaching to KD:M and Kickstarter. Need suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Galli
msg tools
Hi all. I've been interested in this game for a while but the price and the fact that was sold-out forced me to move away from it.
But hey, there's a reprint on kickstarter now!
I'm on the "budget boat" because i never played it and i can't invest too much money for a board game sadly
Said that, i need help to choose my pledge level.
750 is just too much for me and my eyes are on the Gold Lantern one (core game + gambler's chest).
The problem is it seems that only 3 "huntable" monsters will make the hunting phase a bit boring. We are at the beginning of the campaign, but the extra contents of the gambler's chest will not impact on the game too much for what i can see. I mean, idk about extra survivor's minis cause the core game is already filled up with them. That's why i'm thinking to pick up just the core game and use my money for expansions that are at half of their retail price if i'm not wrong. I read about them and they really add cards, monsters and gears.
I will wait to place my pledge now, to see what comes out from gambler's chest but i'm afraid that the Lantern/gold lantern pledge will go out of stock even if it's not a limited print. Is this possible on kickstarter?
Which suggestions can you give me based on what i wrote? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Welp...look at it this way: Go to the online KDM store and click the expansions tab. Add all of that up for a $ amount. Then add $400 for retail base game. Then add more $ for shipping.

That's what you are looking at for those of us plebs (including myself) who got in well after the first KS finished.

Now, every new expansion has the msrp retail value listed next to it, and those expansions are now up to $250 for expansions, and with the core box and the gamblers box it's up to $750 at retail prices. And there are undoubtedly more expansions to come, ranging anywhere from $60-$150 in retail price.

I went in at $927 because I already have all the old expansions, but I can already see that the savings I'm likely to get are going to more than off-set my expensive desires to get everything he's making.

The real question you need to ask yourself is this: Do I go all in right now and secure copies of everything I can at very cheap prices; or am I willing to buy them at greater cost over a longer period of time and risk them selling out again?

That, of course, is based in the idea that you want expansions.

As far as I know there is nothing stopping you from getting a core and gamblers box and then manually adding in the costs for all the expansions you want. But even that is likely to get more expensive than the few remaining Black Friday spots still left open.

And, remember, you can always downgrade later on if you don't like the prices. Poots is pretty honest and fair with us. He has to be, really; no one else would give him the money to do the things that he's done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. S.
Spain
flag msg tools
The only limited pledges are the black friday ones, as far as I know.

About expansions, if you want to increase the number of monster you can hunt, go for the Gorm expansion. People also recommend a lot the Dragon King and sunstalker, because they come with their own campaigns, and I think the Knights are also quarries or people you choose to fight.

Slenderman and Manhunter substitute other type of characters, so you're not necessarily adding options, but it still changes the game. Of the new expansions, Nightmare Ram seems to be very cool, since it's a monster that adds a maze-like mechanic to the game.

Not sure it that's what you're looking for. Also, be warned that I've only played the Gorm expansions, but I've read often about which expansions to buy and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could add 2-3 expansions that give the most bang for the buck.
If you want more of them, you should rather take a bundle pledge.

I would recommend Gorm (new early game monster) and sunstalker/dragon king (late game monsters with extra campaign).

Just wait what else will be revealed. This is still the beginning of a long campaign!

Edit: Ninjad!ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaine French

Temple
Texas
msg tools
mbmb
I had similar concerns when I got the base game at retail last year. I can assure you that there is an awesome amount of content just in the base game. While there are only 3 monsters each level of the monster has a different # of AI cards and starting traits. So a level 2 lion behaves similarly to a level 1, but with some new nasty surprises.

That being said I picked up Gorm, Spidicules, Sunstalker, Dung beetle knight, manhunter, and slenderman. It has now taken over much of my gaming space to the point on being overwhelming at times. We've not yet tried out manhunter, slenderman, or DBK. If you're cash strapped and he offers it up, I'd pick up Gorm for sure, plus or minus the sunstalker. Pass on Spidicules (it's an interesting fight, but so far has been our least favorite).

On my list of items to snag are the lion knight for the mixed armor set bonuses, and the flower knight to round it out.

I'm looking forward to the new expansions, but not sure if I'll stick with my gamblers pledge or drop down and just add the ones I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
Just remember people during first KS payed 100$ for base game, and 30$ for dragon king expansion ...then you can sit down and cry why were you not part of it,lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I were in your position I'd bail on the Gamblers box and use the money for expansions. They are half off and to good to pass up. Given that, I recommend that you play a few campaigns before using an expansion. The core isn't boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sharp
Australia
flag msg tools
It's worthwhile to keep an eye on the $200 or $300 Black Friday EB pledges as someone may drop theirs and upgrade or decide it is not for them. I have the $300 myself so think I will grab a half dozen of the existing expansions assuming they are all announced as add-ons and then pick up some new ones. I like all the new ones so far. Just have to remember that all 'new expansions' aren't shipping until 2019, and there has not been any indication, as far as I'm aware, when the old expansions may ship, so it may be awhile before you can use the extra stuff anyway. Or you could just play it on TTS in the meantime to get your fix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ced Ric
msg tools
Nice topic, as I'm on the same boat as the OP here and had no idea if I missed an already existing similar question... I've been reading hard all around BGG about the game since the Kickstarter launched, and so far I'm starting to get really thrilled about it... But the prices remain steep, and advices from veterans about how to get a really solid pledge (enjoying the KS discounts)will be really helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkaven wrote:
If I were in your position I'd bail on the Gamblers box and use the money for expansions. They are half off and to good to pass up. Given that, I recommend that you play a few campaigns before using an expansion. The core isn't boring.

I dunno man, a lot of the Gamblers box stuff is bound to be hard to find later!

If I were brand new to this and on a ~$300-$400 budget, I would go for the base game + gambler's box, maybe buy one expansion that appeals to me, and then just buy the rest of what expansions I want later on (they'll be more expensive, but will at least be attainable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lokipei wrote:
It's worthwhile to keep an eye on the $200 or $300 Black Friday EB pledges as someone may drop theirs and upgrade or decide it is not for them. I have the $300 myself so think I will grab a half dozen of the existing expansions assuming they are all announced as add-ons and then pick up some new ones. I like all the new ones so far. Just have to remember that all 'new expansions' aren't shipping until 2019, and there has not been any indication, as far as I'm aware, when the old expansions may ship, so it may be awhile before you can use the extra stuff anyway. Or you could just play it on TTS in the meantime to get your fix!

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think the black friday pledges were time locked as well, so even if they're dropped they won't open back up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I dun goofed.
badge
I dun goofed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Digitalwolfe wrote:
I'm not absolutely certain, but I think the black friday pledges were time locked as well, so even if they're dropped they won't open back up?

I'm fairly certain at least 1 person has dropped out of either the $200 or $300 early bird levels... Yet they both still show 1500 and 2600 backers respectively, not 1487 and 2592.

If someone drops out, they get snatched up pretty quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Galli
msg tools
Ok, thank you guys. I think that i'll wait to see what is coming out from the gambler's chest and then make my pledge.
At this moment i'm on the core game + 1/2 expansions instead of the gambler's chest. But who knows what is coming next

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nope, if someone drops their pledge, one opens up. I started with a 250.00 lantern pledge, picked up a gambler's lantern EB pledge two days ago, and just downgraded to a lantern EB a couple hours ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reaper829 wrote:
Nope, if someone drops their pledge, one opens up. I started with a 250.00 lantern pledge, picked up a gambler's lantern EB pledge two days ago, and just downgraded to a lantern EB a couple hours ago.

Damn, wish there was a better way to tell when one of these EB slots opens up. Would love to save that cash to put towards expansion(s). Just haven't been lucky enough to see one open up yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, another italian guy on boat! Welcome! Finally! I was feeling lonely here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Baumgartner
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own the core game and a couple expansions, but I've done a ton of reading and the general consensus of the "best bang for your buck" from the original expansions is:

Gorm (early game huntable monster)
Dung Beetle Knight (Mid-game addition with a ton of content)
and then either Sunstalker or Dragon King (either an alternate campaign or a late game huntable monster for the core)

My personal opinion on the three confirmed new ones:

Nightmare Ram: The whole Dungeon Crawl is a totally new mechanic to KDM. I am personally getting this one.

First Hero: I'm not totally sold on this being necessary. I'm getting it, but it's because I have the BF Silver Lantern.

Screaming God: Late game monster. If you aren't getting First Hero, I wouldn't get this one. I don't like late-game-only content because of how little it will see the table. I will most likely avoid this one (I'm on a bit of a budget).

Gambler's Chest: This to me feels like buying milk in bulk for super cheap or getting those loot crate things in the mail. My guess is this is technically going to end up being the best "value" item in this KS, period. I also think that for the majority of people, they'll get $100 of useable stuff and a whole lot of other things that will sit in a box somewhere, only to see the light of day when they are cleaning the basement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Uhrig
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also spread out your payments, assuming things go the same way the first KS went. You'll get charged when the campaign ends.

Then a month or so later the pledge manager will open and you can add more things... And you will be charged for the additions. So if you can budget for multiple payments, you might be able to get most of what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Micanthropyre wrote:

Screaming God: Late game monster. If you aren't getting First Hero, I wouldn't get this one. I don't like late-game-only content because of how little it will see the table. I will most likely avoid this one (I'm on a bit of a budget).

I think that there's more to this: it actually EXTENDS the campaign, so it may be worth your while even without First Hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Galli
msg tools
t3clis wrote:
Oh, another italian guy on boat! Welcome! Finally! I was feeling lonely here

Hi! I've Read somewhere that The game Will Not Ship directly from US, But Will be shipped To Italy from Germany. I was wndering about taxes that Can Be a Pain for a huge value item. What Can we expect ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
No taxes from EU to EU, trust me.
Now, Poots has not yet confirmed that shipping will be with Ulisses, but has indeed confirmed that he will do his best to ship with an EU warehouse, so we should rest easy. (Never rest easy, okay, but come on...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Baumgartner
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
Micanthropyre wrote:

I think that there's more to this: it actually EXTENDS the campaign, so it may be worth your while even without First Hero.

Yes, the campaign extension is definitely a really excellent component of that but with huge difficulty milestones at LY8 and LY16 a lot of campaigns won't even get that far.

So far everything I've seen out of Poots is that expansions are worth the money, but for people on budgets I'd probably just skip Screaming God for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.