Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I play a lot of card games with my nan and wanted to pick her something up for Xmas this year. She'll find the frog in the title/on the box funny as she has a huge collection of various frog ornaments - but wanted to check something out with everyone on BGG before I try and grab a copy.

She's far from a gaming "snob" - the game we play most often by a long shot is Skip-Bo but we play a tonne of others. At the simplest end we'll play games like Whot and Phase 10 but at the more complex end we'll play things like Jaipur. We also play a tonne of traditional card games - usually Cribbage or Gin Rummy.

Given her tastes, do you think it's a good shout to try pick up this game for her? Don't want it to be too childish mainly, but Jaipur was probably the limit of complexity that my nan enjoys in a game.

Thanks to anyone that can offer advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say. I used to play a ton of this (as an adult) with a couple of friends, but that was before I had really discovered the world of tabletop games.

It's a nice little filler, somewhat luck-dependent (although not entirely). Plays in about 15 minutes.

One side note, not central to your question: In my set, one each of the newt cards and the toadstool cards was a power card; that one had red newts/toadstools while the rest were yellow. In the newer set my friends bought, the "power newts" and "power stools" (as we called them) were gone. For us, it reduced the fun a little. I assume this has been a permanent change to the game, although you could always mark a couple of cards if you wanted to play that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the help - there's very little of the game on YouTube etc, but in that case - so long as it's not a "proper" children's game I'll go ahead and grab a copy! Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is cute and fairly fun, and can be played by all ages, but I would argue that kids are much more likely to appreciate this game than adults. Though, I never actually played this game with *only* adults (but I've played it plenty of time with different adults along with kids). I would put this game firmly in the 'family game' section.

Games in a similar realm (relatively quick and easy-to-learn card games but with different theme) that I think are a little more grown-up worthy, and play 2-4 players, would include Sushi Go (also by Gamewright) and Arboretum (by Z-man, if you can find it). Archiologist is also pretty decent. I don't think any of these games are more complex than Jaipur (great game), but don't include any frogs.

Again, I'm not saying adults wouldn't enjoy this game (I've enjoyed it alright, and I'm an adult), just that I think kids enjoy it more. But if you are looking for THIS theme, magic/frogs/witches/etc then I think it's a decent choice. Either way, you are a good grandson

Also: We've had our copy for several years (7-8 maybe?), but there are no power newts or power toadstools in ours---just #6 Frog Juice as the only ingredient power card.
My cards are like these ones:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should mention Arboretum, as I have been thinking about this also - it's one of my personal favourites, but have just never gotten round to playing it with my nan.

Thanks for the advice though! Although I think the theme would make her laugh, I've still been hesitating to pick up a copy of Frog Juice - so I do think it's time to hunt elsewhere. And most likely for a copy of Arboretum, so good to hear the same suggestion from another geek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This week I introduced a newer, more game-oriented friend to Frog Juice - and discovered that for me it hasn't aged very well. Much more luck than skill, and I didn't find the gameplay all that interesting this time around. It would still be good with kids, but I won't be bringing it out with adults again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.