GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,684 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Bios: Genesis» Forums » General

Subject: Would buy this game but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is my problem: I'm really intrigued by this game but I usually learn rues BEFORE proceeding to chart...
In this case I'd like to virtually explore the game AND try to understand if my knowledge is solid enough to let me play without coming back to biology books...
Anyone willing to share english rues?
I know the developer allows just for the living online version, but I need the exacy set of rules I would find in case of purchasing...
Any contribution highly appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The living rules are just an updated version of the rules. There's no major changes, only more details, so I would say it's better to read the living rules and never touch the rulebook, except for the pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
two pieces of advice and an opinion.

1) go with the living rules, they're fine and coincide for the most part with the printed rules (plus some clarifications and such, from what I've seen)

2) there's a very good playthrough by Gray Board Gamer (?) on YouTube. You can really pick up on many mechanisms, and see them in the works.

3) Opinion: I have no clue about biology. But I don't think that's needed to play and enjoy the game (in fact, you'll probably come out having a better idea about certain biological facts than going into the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The living rules are (currently) clarified versions of the printed rules - there's no major functional differences, at least the last time I checked.

But. Trying to learn a Sierra Madre game from the rulebook alone is frequently an exercise in frustration. BIOS: Genesis may be worse than most for that, since the same pieces have different names depending on context.

The problem is that BIOS: Genesis (and the other similar games) are simulationist games - they present a (biased!) model for reality and then apply that through the rules.

This means in practice that there are tons of moving parts, which interact in often non-obvious ways. Even if the actual mechanics are simple, usually it takes at least one game for me to see how the are supposed to fit together, even if this game is played solo.

Having said that, once things are on the table and pushed around, things usually make a lot more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There are a few walkthrough's on Youtube that have been very helpful for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just on a practical note, to add to the advice given above, I wouldn't take too long to decide whether to buy or not, as the game seems to be selling out quite quickly, and may become difficult to get hold of. Possibly it would be worth buying a copy just to try it, if you don't like it I suspect it would be possible to sell on fairly easily due to the potential scarcity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you so much, everybody!
Think I'll give it a serious try...and maybe let you know if it was worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BIOS Genesis are in fact three game in one:
* building life game (refugees)
* bacteria survival game (microorganism)
* organ evolution game (macroorganism)
With an additional focus on parasites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Allein
Austria
Mödling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomHiob wrote:

2) there's a very good playthrough by Gray Board Gamer (?) on YouTube. You can really pick up on many mechanisms, and see them in the works.

Here is the link to the above mentioned playlist of Gray Board Gamers playthrough. It is really well done!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyYbAnLd5hgZj5113RPCl_...

I tried to replay the example in the rulebook, but without a proper cardlist it is nearly impossible. Besides some errors. I just rechecked the living rules. No changes to the latest version from Nov. 27th.

What I am really missing are living rules with the proper images. And proof reading of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
keitharchaeologist wrote:
Just on a practical note, to add to the advice given above, I wouldn't take too long to decide whether to buy or not, as the game seems to be selling out quite quickly, and may become difficult to get hold of. Possibly it would be worth buying a copy just to try it, if you don't like it I suspect it would be possible to sell on fairly easily due to the potential scarcity.

You were sooo right...my copy was 34,90€, but next day, cecking the same site B:G was 49,90€...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.