The Great War: Tank Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Best The Great War scenario I've played so far! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yesterday I got together with a friend and played scenario #31 from the Tank Expansion. It was the most fun and exciting TGW scenario I've played so far!

So what made it so good to me? Unlike many of the other scenarios, it was quite fluid and the British had a strong incentive, even urgency, to go after their objectives. The Germans get to have a VP for each recon 1 card played (which is quite common in TGW), but in addition, the side that controls the majority of the 10 town hexes on the map, also earns a VP medal each TURN(!). This really forces the numerically superior Brits to move in and take risks! Much more so than in other scenarios I've played so far, they are TRULY pressed for time! They do have three tanks, while the Germans have none and also have numerically superior forces in several sections of the battlefield. What the Germans have going for them, other than "easy access" to VP's, as mentioned above, is being relatively well-entrenched (trenches, buildings, one bunker), while many of the British infantry start in the open (German artillery strikes could even be worthwhile here, unlike in many of the other scenarios where you need to get pretty lucky to do any serious damage, especially if you take the associated HQ token cost into account!

The final score was 8-5 for the Germans. However, my opponent got pretty lucky rolling two burst symbols in a row on a single die, thereby destroying one of my tanks and gaining two victory medals. Had this not happened and had I played my cards in a slightly different sequence and held onto some very potent ones a bit longer (I should have saved my direct from HQ card and the general advance card a bit longer, then I could have gone in for the kill, i.e. taking the majority of building hexes or at the very least an equal number, thus denying that free point to the Germans. The "Advance over the top" combat cards are also worth their weight in gold to the British player as they can really give their infantry that extra speed boost that they really need in this scenario!

Overall, I have to say I'm really pleased with the balance of virtually all TGW scenarios I've played to date (base game and expansion). I guess I must have played about ten different ones and I haven't encountered a single one yet which I felt was totally lop-sided. Even when there was a big difference in the score, I always had the feeling if certain things had been done differently or the die results had been slightly different, the outcome would have been closer to or perhaps even the other side could certainly have won! My compliments to the designers! The components as well as the scenarios are really great!

I'm looking forward to the French expansion!

PS: The whistles and bugles card is an amazing opening card for the British, especially when coupled with an advance over the top combat cards. Since all British units start out in contiguous hexes, you actually get to order all British (battle)field units on the board! Though this opening surely hurt the Germans, it was by no means game-breaking! Perhaps I should have held on to it slightly longer to use it in an even more lethal way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm truly amazed at the variation of scenarios provided in C&C games, of which there are more coming out this year I think than ever before.

At a start of a The Great War scenario, the first thing I do is check for artillery targets. While often its not effective against defensive terrain, Mr. Borg's starting setups often leave many (usually British) troops out in the open at start.

BOOM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
Overall, I have to say I'm really pleased with the balance of virtually all TGW scenarios I've played to date (base game and expansion).

I have to agree with you. We've played it over a dozen times and each game's been great. Haven't done scenario #31 yet (that's the one with just Whippets, right?), but reading your description that's the one we'll do next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
boersma8 wrote:
Overall, I have to say I'm really pleased with the balance of virtually all TGW scenarios I've played to date (base game and expansion).

I have to agree with you. We've played it over a dozen times and each game's been great. Haven't done scenario #31 yet (that's the one with just Whippets, right?), but reading your description that's the one we'll do next!

No, there were no whippets in it. Will have to double check the scenario number and title. Didn't have the game at hand when wrote this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
boersma8 wrote:

I was right. It is indeed number 31. Cambrai Fontaine- notre dame. No whippets, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 31 Cambrai (Fontaine-Notre-Dame) - 23-25 November 1917
http://www.commandsandcolors.net/thegreatwar/maps/western-fr...

However, the special rule about the Victory Points for the town reads;
The 10 building hexes form a Turn Start Temporary Majority Medal Objective worth 1 Victory Medal for the side that occupies the most buildings. The German player starts with 1 Medal.

A Turn Start Temporary Majority Medal Objective is a standard objective rule, but the essence is that the town is worth one(1) medal to the side that occupies the most hexes, NOT 1 medal per turn.
http://www.commandsandcolors.net/thegreatwar/the-game/rules/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

The 10 building hexes form a Turn Start Temporary Majority Medal Objective worth 1 Victory Medal for the side that occupies the most buildings. The German player starts with 1 Medal.

A Turn Start Temporary Majority Medal Objective is a standard objective rule, but the essence is that the town is worth one(1) medal to the side that occupies the most hexes, NOT 1 medal per turn.

Hmmm. OK. Seems you're right. The terminology turn start really wrongfooted me here, I guess. In that case, being the British player, I guess I was ahead after all and headed for a win!

Nevertheless, I still stand by my observation that this was a great scenario, despite giving the Germans quite a few extra medals that they weren't actually supoosed to receive.This does make things a lot easier for the British, though! Guess this one deserves a replay then, using the right special rule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

I suppose the wording would also be less ambiguous ( in the scenario description) if it read:" The German player starts with THE (associated)victory medal", rather than the German player starts with 1 victory medal. The latter at least implies more (of of this type) could be gained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm an experienced C&C player, but I watch out for phrases like "Turn Start Temporary Majority Medal Objective" since it is a defined concept in the rule book.

In essence, the phrase represents a lot longer paragraph to be read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
Guess this one deserves a replay then, using the right special rule!

So the question is, does your mistake make it a better scenario? Let us know how you compare the two versions after you've played it the "right" way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
I guess I'm an experienced C&C player, but I watch out for phrases like "Turn Start Temporary Majority Medal Objective" since it is a defined concept in the rule book.

In essence, the phrase represents a lot longer paragraph to be read.

Oh, I'm an experienced memoir '44 player too. Must have played over 100 games. It's just that both me and my friend understood it the wrong way as, for the reasons above, we didn't even doubt our interpretation at the time. Reading your post, it becomes clear we actually did.

Also, as I play dozens of other games, I had forgotten the concept was described in more detail in the rule book.

But yes, you're certainly right, even though the C&C series is quite simple, playing a critical rule like this one wrong likely makes for an entirely different scenario. Nevertheless, it was greatly enjoyable!

Thanks for posting the rule reference and digital scenario version links!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
boersma8 wrote:
Guess this one deserves a replay then, using the right special rule!

So the question is, does your mistake make it a better scenario? Let us know how you compare the two versions after you've played it the "right" way.

The funny thing is, even though we played it wrong, both of us still felt it was a great scenario!

Hope to replay it within the next two weeks or so. Judging by our previous experience, the scenario should become considerably easier for the British. Obvious countermeasures by the Germans would be to go after British infantry in the open by using artillery strikes and "long range" attacks by mortars and MG's. They may also have to be a little bit less passive and just wait for the British to come to them; when there's an opportunity, they will really need to seize it, more so than when playing it wrong as the free medals just keep coming, basically. Of course, this is no more than an educated guess based on our previous experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the scenario tilts toward the British, but is still fun to play. The rule interpretation took me a moment to study, but I figured it out, as I was playing a lot of the scenarios (see my brief play through descriptions on earlier threads of each one).

Deciding when to counterattack with the Germans is often one of the most fun things to do in most of the scenarios. Since I usually start new players out being the British, I have to do it a lot!

Hopefully when the French Army Expansion comes out, there will be more German attack scenarios!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Hopefully when the French Army Expansion comes out, there will be more German attack scenarios!

I'm really looking forward to any Verdun scenarios.

Since first watching the 1930s original All Quiet On The Western Front I've wanted to wargame WW1 Germans v French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, so I've gotten round to replaying the scenario, this time with the rule played correctly. The British won 8-4. They managed to occupy many of the town hexes by playing a well-timed rush and rotation card (up to 4 soldier units get to move up to 6 hexes, but no combat)thereby stealing the "town medal" from the Germans. This setback they didn't really manage to recover from (no way of retaking it with an already smaller number of troops and no tanks). However, the Germans still did manage to get in 3 desperate close combat attacks against each of the enemy tanks, one even with the machine gun barrage combat card to boost it, but unfortunately for them, not a single hit was scored. One or two turns later it was all over for them, but had they been somewhat luckier here, they still might have pulled off a win as each of the tanks is worth two VP's, as you all know. A lesson learned is also not to abandon the town hexes too easily, as this will open them up to the British by means of the rush and rotation card.When I did abandon them, they also became sitting ducks for the British as no soldier sympbols nor flags could any longer be ignored. You really DO NOT want to have infantry out in the open.

I still believe this is a great scenario, although it does look like the British may have an edge. However, it's certainly balanced enough. The only thing I could say is that with some bad luck the British will still be able to win, whereas the Germans appear to need to have things going their way a bit more. They seem to have less room for error.

So which version is better, the correctly played one or the wrongly played one? If you have an experienced player playing the British and a less experienced one the Germans, then, to help the Germans you may consider using the wrong rule. This will really put a lot of pressure on the British and make them take risks they would otherwise think twice about taking. Otherwise, just stick to the rule as written. It's balanced enough!

It still is the most fun Great War scenario I've played to date!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update...with the correct rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.