Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dungeon Hack: The Dice Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Question Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dungeon [+] crawl [+] PnP [+] joseph [+] hack [+] propati [+] [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
About to start my first game. But I have a couple questions.

1. The game starts off with the party in the Entrance. Does anything happen in the entrance? OR do I just start the game by drawing the first dungeon tile? The rules don't make it clear if anything can happen in the Entrance. Can I elect to roll my dice anyway in the Entrance, prep some dice, and then move into the first Dungeon tile?

2. I'm still unclear of how exactly the spellbook works. You need to place a spell book dice on to the Wizard character card in order to use spells. But the rules imply you can leave dice on the wizard and leave dice on the spells in the spell book from round to round.

"Each round these dice can remain on the Spell book but are locked. ON the following round the spell can be cast again." -- I read this as if I have two dice on Shocking Grasp, at the end of the round, I can leave the dice there, and in the next round those dice are still there and thus I can automatically cast that spell again. Correct?

Also this sentence confuses me:

"Once any dice are removed before the end of the turn, the wizard will take the appropriate damage." -- so what you are saying here, is if you decide to lock some of your dice on the Spell book and decided in a later round, hey, I need more dice for combat, and decide to pull them into the Regroup space, you will take damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gordon,

Thanks for creating this thread because it will be a nice central location for players to go to for new questions and answers regarding game play and mechanics.

I’ll try to answer each question with as much detail as possible and sometimes I may add a rules sections if it was missed.

Q1. The game starts off with the party in the Entrance. Does anything happen in the entrance? OR do I just start the game by drawing the first dungeon tile? The rules don't make it clear if anything can happen in the Entrance. Can I elect to roll my dice anyway in the Entrance, prep some dice, and then move into the first Dungeon tile?

A1: When you start the game with the RED token placed in the Dungeon Entrance tile your group of adventurers is ready to take the first step into the unknown. Nothing happens until you draw that first Dungeon tile and place it against the Entrance tile. “This is what I will add to the Rules directly after the header GAME PLAY: “You start the game with a party of adventurers stepping into the dungeon entrance. They see a long corridor ahead of them and cautiously begin their trek into the dark unknown. Draw the first Dungeon Tile and place it against the Dungeon Entrance tile. Draw the required number of Level 1 monsters and place them against the right edge of the game board. Then draw any Trap, Treasures and/or Door cards as stated on the dungeon tile and place them in their designated spaces “Treasure cards always placed face-down”. After all the dungeon cards have been placed it’s time to roll all 10 action dice and place them in their designated spaces. Once you have everything setup you’ll determine if you are able to make any attacks against the monsters and if you can, you roll the initiative die for each monster. If any monsters win the initiative they attack first, then you attack and/or perform any actions you can, and then let the remaining monster that lost initiatives perform their attacks. “Remember that any spells that can be cast that cause the party to win initiative or block attacks will happen before any attacks no matter who won initiative “spells casting is faster than monster attacks”. Let the adventure begin…”

2. I'm still unclear of how exactly the spellbook works. You need to place a spell book dice on to the Wizard character card in order to use spells. But the rules imply you can leave dice on the wizard and leave dice on the spells in the spell book from round to round.

"Each round these dice can remain on the Spell book but are locked. ON the following round the spell can be cast again." -- I read this as if I have two dice on Shocking Grasp, at the end of the round, I can leave the dice there, and in the next round those dice are still there and thus I can automatically cast that spell again. Correct?

2A: Correct with one exception: you can’t leave any dice on any character cards from round to round; they must go to the REGROUP card. Only dice on the spell book can stay from round to round. I will add the following rules update to the “End of the Round:” section.

“Any dice on the Mage’s spell book CAN stay on their spaces from round to round but if you decide to remove one or more dice from the spell book the Mage takes a point of damage for level 1 spells and 2 points of damage for level 2 spells. “

This also means that if you roll any Mage action dice again with the spell book icon and place it back on the Mage character card, you can immediately cast spells that have corresponding dice sitting on their icons within the spell book.

Also this sentence confuses me:

"Once any dice are removed before the end of the turn, the wizard will take the appropriate damage." -- so what you are saying here, is if you decide to lock some of your dice on the Spell book and decided in a later round, hey, I need more dice for combat, and decide to pull them into the Regroup space, you will take damage?

I will also add the following rules update to the “SPELL BOOK – Level 1” and “SPELL BOOK – Level 2” sections:

”If any dice are removed before the end of the turn, the wizard will take the appropriate damage: 1 point damage for level 1 spells and 2 points damage for level 2 spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. That helps.

And just to be clear, if you flip a tile over and it has a door BEFORE the room, you roll dice just to bust the door down and if you do. THEN you roll dice again and flip the monsters & traps that may be in the room, right?

Just a question on that: why wouldn't you roll your dice, bust the door down, and then you have to interact with what's in the room with the rest of your leftover dice? (thematically it seems to make sense--you spend your energy trying to open the door, maybe making a lot of noise doing it, and the second you do enter, there are two monsters ready to attack you). (Maybe if you open the door with the thief, you get the jump--initiative--on the monsters, if you bash it down, they get the jump on you).

It almost seems like a wasted action, or a super easy action to get the requirements for opening the door--I get that you might roll for wandering monsters. Either way, I'll wait until I play it a few times before making case for anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Sounds good. That helps.

And just to be clear, if you flip a tile over and it has a door BEFORE the room, you roll dice just to bust the door down and if you do. THEN you roll dice again and flip the monsters & traps that may be in the room, right?

Just a question on that: why wouldn't you roll your dice, bust the door down, and then you have to interact with what's in the room with the rest of your leftover dice? (thematically it seems to make sense--you spend your energy trying to open the door, maybe making a lot of noise doing it, and the second you do enter, there are two monsters ready to attack you). (Maybe if you open the door with the thief, you get the jump--initiative--on the monsters, if you bash it down, they get the jump on you).

It almost seems like a wasted action, or a super easy action to get the requirements for opening the door--I get that you might roll for wandering monsters. Either way, I'll wait until I play it a few times before making case for anything.

For first question: correct, you roll the dice and get through the door first. Then deal with what is inside!

And for your second response "I agree with you, that is the way it should be played"! It IS more thematic and realistic within game terms.
I like it, "thanks" and will add it to the rules for people to play that way.
Great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I just killed a GOBLIN and on the card it says EXPERIENCE: 200XP

In the rules it says when you kill something you move your Level cube down that character's track. So if you kill the 2nd Level Goblin do you move your cube down 2 spaces of the level track, or do you only ever move the cube down one spot?

Also, why does it say 200XP? Do you record this XP somewhere? Or does the 200XP mean move the cube down the level track?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Okay, I just killed a GOBLIN and on the card it says EXPERIENCE: 200XP

In the rules it says when you kill something you move your Level cube down that character's track. So if you kill the 2nd Level Goblin do you move your cube down 2 spaces of the level track, or do you only ever move the cube down one spot?

Also, why does it say 200XP? Do you record this XP somewhere? Or does the 200XP mean move the cube down the level track?

I put the XP on the monster cards for future use so you can ignore it for now. The character that makes the killing blow gets the level up. So that player moves the cube one space down. The monster level doesn't matter, it is still only one space per monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Back at it. (Kids have been keeping me busy).

1. Do you assign items to specific characters? Or do you just keep items in a general pile, and then only certain characters can use them?

2. Inventory is where? Inventory was mentioned somewhere, and I wasn't sure where that was.

3. No maximum number of items?

4. When do you adjust your line? Putting your heroes in the front line or changing them to the back line? This can be done anytime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Back at it. (Kids have been keeping me busy).

1. Do you assign items to specific characters? Or do you just keep items in a general pile, and then only certain characters can use them?

2. Inventory is where? Inventory was mentioned somewhere, and I wasn't sure where that was.

3. No maximum number of items?

4. When do you adjust your line? Putting your heroes in the front line or changing them to the back line? This can be done anytime?

A1: Nothing is assigned, you just have certain charactets who can use the item or perform the function of the item. It will always be based on the action die images on the card and the text.

A2. I usually keep my stuff at the bottom of the board but you can place it anywhere that is convenient.

A3. Right now no, but I may use restrictions to make game play level harder.

A4. I can't remember where or if i even covered it but it should go like this: you can change you party order at the start of a turn or if a character dies. You cant change the order during battle except as noted above regarding a characters death. This prevents players from swapping the Thief back and forth to use his dagger or bow ability.

I will update the rules with this info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Onward:

1. Just to make sure, any sword on any of the dice can be used by the fighter for his skills? There are the sword symbols on the fighter die, the white dice, and sword symbols on the other colored dice. It should be mentioned that you can use any symbol that matches your action space regardless of the color of the die.

2. The Thief DAGGERS, should this be frontline only? Since Bow & Arrow are back row only? Just curious.

3. To be clear under CASTING FROM THE SPELL BOOK, it says in the rules when you are Level 2, it allows you to cast Level 2 spells. Does this mean you CAN'T use Level 1 spells anymore? Or can you always do any level of spells once you hit Level 2?

4. CAMP: It's not a huge deal, but I kind of don't like that I HAVE TO use the Camp Dice to eventually REST. I think the Camp Dice could be even more interesting, if the player was given the OPTION to use the Camp Dice to move up your REST, OR use the Camp Symbols as a 2nd option, a wild die option, use it as a basic symbol (Sword, Hammer, Dagger, Hat, etc...) or (use up the Rest # you have built up as something... like a bonus to hit or damage or something) and if you did use it as a Wild Die Option, you would take Fatigue or something like that and if your fatigue went up too high, bad things would happen, get exhausted, etc... This would give another interesting choice for the player to make, to think about.

5. REST: when you rest, it almost seems like you should Roll for a random monster event. Seems to make sense thematically, you rest to get a drink, bandage up a wound, and in walks the resident Troll. Oh no!!!!!

6. Could there be an option for the party to leave the Dungeon and go to Town to arm up or spend their XP? Obviously you might have to fight through some monsters on the way out and on the way back in, but that would also be another good decision the player could ponder. (This option might only make sense in a longer Dungeon Crawl Scenario).

I like Dungeon Hack. It's a lighter game for sure, and most of the time decisions you need to make are pretty obvious--which is good and bad. This is usually the case in lighter games and is what makes a lighter game a lighter game--doesn't take a ton of to set up or play. Many of the States of Siege games from VPG, like Ottoman Sunset are like this, where the decisions or agonizing over them are minimal. But I think #4, 5, or 6 could add a little more decision making to the player in a strategic sense.

Again, anything I wrote about is really just me throwing stuff against the wall, letting all my ideas out. The game so far is great as it is, and if nothing changed that would be fine. But # 4, 5, or 6 are just some things to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Onward:

1. Just to make sure, any sword on any of the dice can be used by the fighter for his skills? There are the sword symbols on the fighter die, the white dice, and sword symbols on the other colored dice. It should be mentioned that you can use any symbol that matches your action space regardless of the color of the die.

2. The Thief DAGGERS, should this be frontline only? Since Bow & Arrow are back row only? Just curious.

3. To be clear under CASTING FROM THE SPELL BOOK, it says in the rules when you are Level 2, it allows you to cast Level 2 spells. Does this mean you CAN'T use Level 1 spells anymore? Or can you always do any level of spells once you hit Level 2?

4. CAMP: It's not a huge deal, but I kind of don't like that I HAVE TO use the Camp Dice to eventually REST. I think the Camp Dice could be even more interesting, if the player was given the OPTION to use the Camp Dice to move up your REST, OR use the Camp Symbols as a 2nd option, a wild die option, use it as a basic symbol (Sword, Hammer, Dagger, Hat, etc...) or (use up the Rest # you have built up as something... like a bonus to hit or damage or something) and if you did use it as a Wild Die Option, you would take Fatigue or something like that and if your fatigue went up too high, bad things would happen, get exhausted, etc... This would give another interesting choice for the player to make, to think about.

5. REST: when you rest, it almost seems like you should Roll for a random monster event. Seems to make sense thematically, you rest to get a drink, bandage up a wound, and in walks the resident Troll. Oh no!!!!!

6. Could there be an option for the party to leave the Dungeon and go to Town to arm up or spend their XP? Obviously you might have to fight through some monsters on the way out and on the way back in, but that would also be another good decision the player could ponder. (This option might only make sense in a longer Dungeon Crawl Scenario).

I like Dungeon Hack. It's a lighter game for sure, and most of the time decisions you need to make are pretty obvious--which is good and bad. This is usually the case in lighter games and is what makes a lighter game a lighter game--doesn't take a ton of to set up or play. Many of the States of Siege games from VPG, like Ottoman Sunset are like this, where the decisions or agonizing over them are minimal. But I think #4, 5, or 6 could add a little more decision making to the player in a strategic sense.

Again, anything I wrote about is really just me throwing stuff against the wall, letting all my ideas out. The game so far is great as it is, and if nothing changed that would be fine. But # 4, 5, or 6 are just some things to consider.

1A: Yes you can use all the swords on all the dice but remember that if you see an icon that has all four icons on it, this means you MUST use the colored die to resolve the action. The colored dice are basically the characters themselves and certain action require them be used specifically. Also an example of using the colored die is when a character is sent to the dungeon and you need [2] players to rescue that character. You need [2] colored dice to rescue the character and regular dice with a sword, hat, etc symbol wont work.

2A: Yes, the dagger can only be used if the Thief is on the front line.

3A: Yes, once the wizard reaches second level and can cast level 2 spells, they can still cast spells from the level 1 book! So both books are available at that time.

4A: Interesting.... let me think about this.

5A: What may be an option is when you heal your characters the number of health points, you would roll for random monsters equal to every 2 points healed. So if you earned 6 heal points from camp, you would roll three times to check for random monsters and ignore any camp rolls! This could be an option.

6A: This is what I've been thinking about regarding leaving the dungeon. There is a quest that will allow you to go to the Bazaar but what I going to do is change this and make a set dungeon tile that is a portal that goes to town and this portal could be used at any time by the characters. I would then change the quest to make the portal go to a treasure room with a monster guard and once you defeat this monster you get better treasure items from this quest. How does this sound??

Also, since I want players to be able to use gold and the way it is passed out now you don't really get that much so I'm going to change the rules for treasure and any time there is a dungeon room with a treasure in it you would now draw from two decks: a gold deck and a treasure item deck! This way you get gold and a treasure item! How does this sound?

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas, they are great! Thanks also for playing!

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your idea for #5, that would make sense, the longer you stay and rest, the greater chance of running into something.

Getting gold and items would be good. Though it wouldn't have to always be automatic you get an item, but then again you don't always get a treasure icon on every tile.

And I have to say, the game is tense, I've had my characters on the verge of death even before the mid point of the game, where I'm hoping a get the Camp dice, get a little healing, which is just enough to get me to move onto the next room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
I like your idea for #5, that would make sense, the longer you stay and rest, the greater chance of running into something.

Getting gold and items would be good. Though it wouldn't have to always be automatic you get an item, but then again you don't always get a treasure icon on every tile.

And I have to say, the game is tense, I've had my characters on the verge of death even before the mid point of the game, where I'm hoping a get the Camp dice, get a little healing, which is just enough to get me to move onto the next room.

You're right, this game can be very brutal and I've had games where I've died on the 4th dungeon tile f ue to bad rolls. But i also love how brutal it is becausr it makes the incredibly tense and action packed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
patton55 wrote:

You're right, this game can be very brutal and I've had games where I've died on the 4th dungeon tile f ue to bad rolls. But i also love how brutal it is becausr it makes the incredibly tense and action packed!

And that is something I love in games. I actually like it knowing I can die quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Regarding progressing to the next tile. Suppose you are on a tile and you have completed the tile, even to the extent of opening the door at the end of your current tile. Now you lay a new tile but it has a door at the beginning of its tile. After the door, there is a trap and monster. The question is what is the succession of events that takes place. Correct me if I’m wrong. You place a door to the left of the board at the top of the left hand side, but no monsters and no traps. You roll your dice. You manage to open the door using say 2 thief hoods, but you still have all the rest of your dice. You THEN lay the monsters and trap out. Then you roll initiative on the monsters. If one gains initiative over you, it attacks (or you block first). Then you attack with the remainder of your dice, and then the non-initiative monsters attack. Is this right, OR do you reroll your dice before laying out the monsters? Or do you lay out the monsters to show that they will be used but they can’t attack yet? Also, do you HAVE to go on and lay a new tile immediately. Suppose you want to lay back and roll dice again in the room you’re in (to get a character out of the dungeon for instance)? Must you go on or can you hang back?

2. Regarding quest tiles, I’m a little confused regarding your previous answer. If you get to a quest tile and have that quest, you put the yellow monster out. Do you put the normal ones too? If you do not have that quest, you put the normal monsters out, but not the yellow quest monster right?

3. The Entrance tile has a door token. Based on your previous answers you seem to be saying to ignore that door rather than opening it first BEFORE you place the first tile after the entrance?

4. Regarding Door tiles in general, say your enter a tile with a trap, some monsters, some treasure, and a door at the end. You kill the monsters, solve the trap. Are you required to open the door before taking the treasure OR using the camp track to “rest?” The rules seem to contradict themselves on this point.

5. Regarding taking damage from monsters. On Page 7 it says that you take damage from the front line characters only when there is 1 monster and from all characters when there are 2 or more. But one may have initiative and one may not. Therefore instead of 1 attack with 2 monsters you may one initiative attack and one non-initiative attack taking place at slightly different times. Are they both still taking damage from all characters, or do they each constitute attacks by 1 monster both of which taking damage only from the front line?

6. Regarding the phase chart on page 8 that tells you what tile to pull, when you backtrack, you do NOT backtrack on that chart right? You ALWAYS move forward on the phase chart no matter what direction you’re moving on the tiles right?

7. Regarding page 18’s rescue of a character from the dungeon. I find it a bit confusing on what you need to rescue him. From what I can figure out you need 2 colored dice which have on their face a symbol related to the character of that color? So for instance if the Cleric and Thief are rescuing the Fighter, we need the Yellow and Black die, with the Yellow die showing either the healing hand or the clerical hammer/mace AND the black die showing either the thief’s hood or the daggers or the bow?

8. Why are there hit point levels above the character’s starting health? Does the character hit points go up when they level?

9. On page 20, regarding camping, when you progress to the next tile, you leave the existing singleton die if present in place. BUT do you clear the track, even if the characters were unable to use it by virtue of being at full health? Indeed can you CHOOSE not to use the healing and allow the track to remain at it’s current level whether or not you could heal?

10. On page 21 in Magic Items, you refer to “scoring the game” but never elaborate. Is there a way to score the game based on gold or treasure etc.?

11. Can you run out of dice to roll, with the various locked dice and if so, what happens?

12. Can you use a magic item twice in the same round? For instance suppose the fighter wishes to use the magic sword (requiring 1 sword die per use) twice in the same round to do two 2 point strikes to a target. If he rolls for exhaustion after each time and it doesn’t exhaust the first time, is that OK, or can they be used only once per round? As a side question does +2 damage mean +2 to the 1 point it typically causes for a total of 3 damage, or only 2 instead of 1 damage? And if your fighter already is doing 3 damage at level 2 by using 2 sword dice, is this additive in any way to the magic sword?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

Thanks for all the great questions, my answers with begin with the A:

Regarding progressing to the next tile. Suppose you are on a tile and you have completed the tile, even to the extent of opening the door at the end of your current tile. Now you lay a new tile but it has a door at the beginning of its tile. After the door, there is a trap and monster. The question is what is the succession of events that takes place. Correct me if I’m wrong. You place a door to the left of the board at the top of the left hand side, but no monsters and no traps. You roll your dice. You manage to open the door using say 2 thief hoods, but you still have all the rest of your dice. You THEN lay the monsters and trap out. Then you roll initiative on the monsters. If one gains initiative over you, it attacks (or you block first). Then you attack with the remainder of your dice, and then the non-initiative monsters attack. Is this right,

A1: You are correct! You place the door and nothing else. You must get through the door to encounter the monsters and/or trap beyond the door.
A2: If you happen to open the door you must use those remining dice for any combat or traps on the next round before rerolling a new round.

Also, do you HAVE to go on and lay a new tile immediately. Suppose you want to lay back and roll dice again in the room you’re in (to get a character out of the dungeon for instance)? Must you go on or can you hang back?

A: You should lay a tile and place some type of marker in the tile to show you haven’t entered the tile yet if you plan on backtracking into the dungeon. You don’t immediately have to enter the tile and you can try to rescue another character from the empty room but you definitely want to track your progress and know that you have performed the encounters to that tile. Since you can backtrack to other dungeon tiles “such as the portal tile to get to the Bazaar” you always have the option to go back instead of going directly into the next dungeon tile.

Regarding quest tiles, I’m a little confused regarding your previous answer. If you get to a quest tile and have that quest, you put the yellow monster out. Do you put the normal ones too? If you do not have that quest, you put the normal monsters out, but not the yellow quest monster right?

A: Correct! If you don’t have the quest card, you treat the tile as a normal dungeon tile using the normal monster encounters and ignoring the quest monster. If you have the QUEST card you place the quest monster, plus any normal monsters, traps, treasures, door plus follow the quest cards directions.

The Entrance tile has a door token. Based on your previous answers you seem to be saying to ignore that door rather than opening it first BEFORE you place the first tile after the entrance?

A: Yes, I need to fix this tile but as it mentions earlier, you just ignore this door for the entrance tile.

Regarding Door tiles in general, say your enter a tile with a trap, some monsters, some treasure, and a door at the end. You kill the monsters, solve the trap. Are you required to open the door before taking the treasure OR using the camp track to “rest?” The rules seem to contradict themselves on this point.

A: If the door is first, before any monsters, then you must open the door before you encounter the monsters and receive any treasure. If the door is at the end of the dungeon tile and after you’ve encountered the monsters, you will still receive the treasure once you destroy all monster, whether the door has been open or not. Also, you can rest before you open the door but any rolls trying to open the door are still affected by random monster and camp dice.

Regarding taking damage from monsters. On Page 7 it says that you take damage from the front line characters only when there is 1 monster and from all characters when there are 2 or more. But one may have initiative and one may not. Therefore instead of 1 attack with 2 monsters you may one initiative attack and one non-initiative attack taking place at slightly different times. Are they both still taking damage from all characters, or do they each constitute attacks by 1 monster both of which taking damage only from the front line?

A: No, if there is more than 1 monsters, no matter when the attack occurs, all characters take damage from the monsters. The way you should distribute damage is as follows: if there is one monster attacking and it does 3 points of damage, you give each of the front line character a point of damage and then you can decide which of the two front line characters gets the last point of damage. If there are two or more monsters attacking and only one monster wins initiative causing 4 points of damage, you would give each character a point of damage. Then you would do your damage to the monsters and the remaining monsters would attack. Any damage from these monsters would be evenly spread across all four characters. Try to remember who didn’t receive damage when the damage is an “odd” amount. Start giving damage to the character that didn’t receive it on the last go around.

Regarding the phase chart on page 8 that tells you what tile to pull, when you backtrack, you do NOT backtrack on that chart right? You ALWAYS move forward on the phase chart no matter what direction you’re moving on the tiles right?
A: Correct, when you backtrack you don’t ever draw dungeon tiles, you just move over existing tiles that have already been placed. Once you get back to the last placed tile “use some form of a marker to let you know where you left off on the chart” you start to follow the chart again and draw a new dungeon tile. If you backtrack a lot you may find yourself with multiple areas that haven’t been charted on the tile placement chart, you really need to keep track of which tile you started to backtrack from and what path you decide to take if different from the original point of backtracking.
Regarding page 18’s rescue of a character from the dungeon. I find it a bit confusing on what you need to rescue him. From what I can figure out you need 2 colored dice which have on their face a symbol related to the character of that color? So for instance if the Cleric and Thief are rescuing the Fighter, we need the Yellow and Black die, with the Yellow die showing either the healing hand or the clerical hammer/mace AND the black die showing either the thief’s hood or the daggers or the bow?

A: Actually the healing hand and the dagger or bow won’t work! You need to roll the character’s colored die with the correct character symbol. Such as a sword for the fighter, the hood for the thief, the mage hat for the mage and the mace for the cleric. These are the only icons that can be rolled by those characters die that will help rescue another character from the dungeon.

Why are there hit point levels above the character’s starting health? Does the character hit points go up when they level?

A: Correct. Once a character reaches level 2 they can now max their hit points to the new max level above the original hit point starting level.

On page 20, regarding camping, when you progress to the next tile, you leave the existing singleton die if present in place. BUT do you clear the track, even if the characters were unable to use it by virtue of being at full health? Indeed can you CHOOSE not to use the healing and allow the track to remain at it’s current level whether or not you could heal?

A: No, if the turn is over or you ever leave a tile it would mean the turn is over and all dice are removed and placed in the regroup area. The camp track is always cleared when the turn is over whether you can use the healing points or not, especially if you have full health. Camp healing can’t be carried over to the next turn.

On page 21 in Magic Items, you refer to “scoring the game” but never elaborate. Is there a way to score the game based on gold or treasure etc.?
A: I’m still working on the scoring system especially when it comes to the monsters and experience points but as it stands you can add up your total gold found “spent gold does not subtract from this total” and the number of treasure items you’ve found and add it all up. I need to work on this to come up with a true victory point system, any ideas?

Can you run out of dice to roll, with the various locked dice and if so, what happens?

A: I think it would depend on the type of card you encounter and decide to place your dice on. Two can be locked on the random monster and camp track. Depending on the trap a number of dice can be locked on it and when you rescue another character. I don’t think it’s possible but you can get down to only rolling a few dice per round out of the 10 dice. I’ll have to look at all the different card scenarios to see if it’s actually possible. Good question!

Can you use a magic item twice in the same round? For instance suppose the fighter wishes to use the magic sword (requiring 1 sword die per use) twice in the same round to do two 2 point strikes to a target. If he rolls for exhaustion after each time and it doesn’t exhaust the first time, is that OK, or can they be used only once per round? As a side question does +2 damage mean +2 to the 1 point it typically causes for a total of 3 damage, or only 2 instead of 1 damage? And if your fighter already is doing 3 damage at level 2 by using 2 sword dice, is this additive in any way to the magic sword?

A1: Yes, if you roll multiple dice icons of the required dice for the magic item and you roll for the items exhaust affects after each use, you can use the item again in the same round if it is able to be used again.

A2: The damage of +2 is actually just the 2 points of damage total, you don’t add the extra 1 point which the character die would normally do.

A3: No, the magic sword is not additive to the 2nd level fighter’s new attack die. The sword only does the damage listed on the card no matter what the level character die is used. So, a level 2 fighter using the magic sword still only does 2 damage with the sword. I’m thinking of making the sword available to the thief also just for this reason. The sword is great to have in the beginning when the characters are level 1 but can be less affective once level 2 is reached.

If any of my answers still seem vague please re-ask the question with a little bit more detail and I’ll try to be more specific. Thanks for all the great questions and hopefully this will help you and others who might be in the same spot with the rules and game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joseph. Great answers.

Regarding backtracking. What I did last time was to freeze the phase chart in place when I backtracked (dead end) and when I finally started drawing tiles again (after rolling for random encounters and rolling my dice on every backtracked tile but not changing the phase chart position) I started up forward on the phase chart. THAT worked. I came to no dead ends.

My second game though, I moved the phase chart marker back and it was a mess and I did dead end with nowhere to go. I assume the first way is the right one?

Glad to hear about the HP going to the top of the track at level 2. I don't think that is in the rules at all, but I could have missed it. It seemed the most obvious possibility though.

Regarding scoring. Obviously the scoring should address what you want the players to feel good about. Presumably killing monsters (and the boss) is probably number 1 so it should emphasize that. Then there is gold (which is useless for any other purpose -- the bazaar I know but I've never drawn that quest yet). Then there are treasures which have use in game (but might still be worth some score advantage). Then there are traps solved? Not sure there. Actually I wonder if traps should get you an experience point?

Lastly weapon restrictions. It's not clear when certain dice are useful to certain characters. You have said the Thief can't use the daggers from the back or the bow from the front (unless he has the magic bow). One wonders if it is similar for the Cleric and his mace. BUT if the monsters can hit anyone when there are 2 or more, why do these restrictions exist? The monster can hit the thief, but he can't use his daggers to attack back? It seems like either the monsters can ONLY hit the lead characters (in which cas the characters in back might not be able to use melee weapons -- unless they have reach like with pole arms) OR the monsters can hit everyone (in which case the back characters can hit them too)?

EDIT: Thought of another couple of Edge Cases -- Do blessing dice unlock at the end of the turn too, I assume yes. Secondly if a 2nd level character uses the entire hit point track above the original position, does he rise to the top as he crosses into 2nd level immediately, even if he has only a few hit points left, or does he rise only the difference in points between the original maximum position and the new maximum position?

e.g. Suppose the fighter is at 5 hit points when he crosses into 2nd level. His old maximum was 12 and his new maximum is 15. Does he go from 5 to 15 hit points immediately? Or does he go from 5 to 8 (because his new maximum is 3 higher than his old maximum)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things: First, you can now go to the bazaar without a quest card. When you place the dungeon tile with the pool on it, this pool will magically portal you to the bazaar.

Second, when you gain a level you don't automaticslly gain health. You stay at the hit point level you are at but can now heal above the norm to the max level.

carbon_dragon wrote:
Thanks Joseph. Great answers.

Regarding backtracking. What I did last time was to freeze the phase chart in place when I backtracked (dead end) and when I finally started drawing tiles again (after rolling for random encounters and rolling my dice on every backtracked tile but not changing the phase chart position) I started up forward on the phase chart. THAT worked. I came to no dead ends.

My second game though, I moved the phase chart marker back and it was a mess and I did dead end with nowhere to go. I assume the first way is the right one?

Glad to hear about the HP going to the top of the track at level 2. I don't think that is in the rules at all, but I could have missed it. It seemed the most obvious possibility though.

Regarding scoring. Obviously the scoring should address what you want the players to feel good about. Presumably killing monsters (and the boss) is probably number 1 so it should emphasize that. Then there is gold (which is useless for any other purpose -- the bazaar I know but I've never drawn that quest yet). Then there are treasures which have use in game (but might still be worth some score advantage). Then there are traps solved? Not sure there. Actually I wonder if traps should get you an experience point?

Lastly weapon restrictions. It's not clear when certain dice are useful to certain characters. You have said the Thief can't use the daggers from the back or the bow from the front (unless he has the magic bow). One wonders if it is similar for the Cleric and his mace. BUT if the monsters can hit anyone when there are 2 or more, why do these restrictions exist? The monster can hit the thief, but he can't use his daggers to attack back? It seems like either the monsters can ONLY hit the lead characters (in which cas the characters in back might not be able to use melee weapons -- unless they have reach like with pole arms) OR the monsters can hit everyone (in which case the back characters can hit them too)?

EDIT: Thought of another couple of Edge Cases -- Do blessing dice unlock at the end of the turn too, I assume yes. Secondly if a 2nd level character uses the entire hit point track above the original position, does he rise to the top as he crosses into 2nd level immediately, even if he has only a few hit points left, or does he rise only the difference in points between the original maximum position and the new maximum position?

e.g. Suppose the fighter is at 5 hit points when he crosses into 2nd level. His old maximum was 12 and his new maximum is 15. Does he go from 5 to 15 hit points immediately? Or does he go from 5 to 8 (because his new maximum is 3 higher than his old maximum)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a number of questions from use: ex1st. "Charles Ward"

First, thank you for playing my game Charles, I love the way how you ask a question and then also replay with how you decided to play through the rule. This is wonderful because it not only tells me what you thinking process was but how you interpreted the rules and how you decided to play it. This is great and I wish more play testers would do this. Excellent job!!!

Dungeon Hack Feedback

1) Winning initiative is explained as rolling the monster's level +1. So, is it always a 1 in 6 chance of winning initiative? I did it this way, seems hard but I won in the end.

A: The way it works is YOU are rolling to win initiative over the each monster. So depending on the level of the monster you must roll a value of 1 higher than the monsters level; that is where the "monster's level +1" comes in. So when attacking a Level 2 monster you need to roll a 3 or higher on a d6 to win initiative or the monster gets the initiative and an orange cube! If you were attacking a level 5 monster you would need to roll a 6 on a d6 to win the initiative!

2) Can the blessing re-roll be used to retool the initiative dice or master attack dice? I did not do this.

A: Yes and Yes! If you lose an initiative roll for a monster but have a blessing reroll ability, you can try to win the initiative against that monster! And yes you can reroll an action die as long as it's not locked!

3) Can a level 2 fighter with 3 swords do 1 damage per sword icon to weaken 3 opponents (as s/he can as a level 1 fighter)? In other words can I break up my attack. I did so.

A: No, this is a major attack that can't be broken up and must be used against one monster!

4) I just draw a room with a door on it before entering the room, but the room has nothing in it. Do I need to unlock the door to enter it to then just turn back? I did so.

A: Hmm... I think all room dungeon tiles have at least a monster to fight. Which tile did you draw that was blank with nothing on it? To answer the question, if there is a door that is before the room area then yes you must open the door to enter the room even it there was nothing in the room.

5) The starting tile has a door. Do you need to lock it before entering? This was good thematically and to get you to learn the game. I did so.

A: This door you are suppose to ignore, it is there for looks and not so much for the player to start the adventure having to open a door BUT if it added to the thematic element of the game then yes I would play that you have to open it to enter the dungeon!

6) Do you have to re-roll all of your dice? I would like to leave some of the ones I did not use. I did not do this.

A: Any dice that aren't locked and have been placed in the REGROUP area must be rerolled, you can't leave dice that are in the regroup area unrolled.

7) Can choose to move camp dice and/or blessing dice to the regroup card before I roll my dice? I did so.

A: If they are still locked in place then NO. If you used a blessing and they need to be moved to the REGROUP area then yes! If a second camp die is placed and you move the camp heal marker to the right, these two dice are then placed in the regroup area to be rerolled on the next round!

8) Wording on the USE SPELL BOOK action is odd. Why does it say Book 1 only? Does it activate all the spells that are ready or only one spell? I used it for either spell book 1 or 2.

A: I could find where it said this but I think the wording is to state if you are a level 1 wizard you can only cast spells from the level 1 spell book. Once you reach level 2 you can cast spells from both spell books; level 1 and level 2. It activates all spells on any book that you have action dice on and are ready to cast!

9) If the character only level up once, I suggest you make the cards wider, add the upgrade track on the level 1 side, but not on the level 2 side, giving you more space for text.

A: The area that the level up track is on is suppose to be the corridor wall, so if I add it to the level one character card I would have to add it to the level 2 character card but just showing the wall only with no track. It could work but it wouldn't give me any extra space to work with. I'll look in to it!

10) Can a magical item be used more than once per turn? I though no.

A: I think you mean round and no, you can only use a magic item once per round. A turn is the whole engagement with fighting monsters until they are all destroyed and searching and traps, doors, etc.. and a round is each time you perform actions within the turn which means you can have a number of rounds occur in a singe turn. The turn ends when everything is cleared within the dungeon tile!

11) Can you choose your boss or do you have to roll for it? Rulebook inconsistency? I choose.

A: Yes, You can choose when boss you want to fight depending on if you want a hard game "The Dragon" or a little easier game "The Lich".

12) Can you use the potion of invisibility with a boss? Does it last the whole TURN or ROUND? If TURN, then the BOSS just never sees you. I thought turn.

A: Magic item effects only last for a round. Yes you can but it is only for a round and I need to fix the card because it should say round and not turn. Thanks for catching that!

13) Why does the wizard not have a heal spell? I either have book or hats, but need both.

A: Because to me, that should be the job of the Cleric so that's why I didn't add one for the wizard.

14) Can a monster with stone skin be attacked by a wizard's 2 hats? I thought no.

A: No because you basically need to hit with at least 2 points of damage to do 1 point of actual damage to the monster.

The rules are ok, but need a lot of work.

A: I totally agree and now that I have the rules completed for Zombie Apocalypse and uploaded, I can revamp the rules for Dungeon Hack!!

The game felt balanced. Very balance. Well done. There was always something I needed, but that resulted in something else being there to be used.

The dice need to be made, you can't use the chart if you are locking dice because you won't know which dice you locked, or when you bring a die back you won't know which die it was. I suggest making the dice, or color coding your six white dice.

A: I totally agree and I wish they had more colored die so that I could use those color for all the white dice. I do make engraved dice for the game.

I won and teleported out with a potion I found on the last card. Nearly died here, there, and there, and there. The game was tense. I allowed my self to fudge one damage that would have killed my wizard. His health went to 0 but then camped after the round ended.

A: Now that I have giving the character the ability to leave the dungeon I thinking of adding more to the game such as an expansion of a totally new dungeon or adventure! Time will tell... stay tuned!

It took a bloody long time. I mean a long time! I had to divide the game into three sessions just leaving it on the table for lunch and dinner.

A: I am trying to streamline things and please let me know which area seemed to take the longest. If they felt unnecessarily long I have think of ways to either shorten them or make them play quicker.

Thanks again for playing and I'm working on a new play through video to cover all the new rules. I will also work on updating the rules!

Wow, what a good game that was. A lot of effort - but worth it. Want to play again.

That is something I will never get tired of hearing!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Here are a number of questions from use: ex1st. "Charles Ward"

First, thank you for playing my game Charles, I love the way how you ask a question and then also replay with how you decided to play through the rule. This is wonderful because it not only tells me what you thinking process was but how you interpreted the rules and how you decided to play it. This is great and I wish more play testers would do this. Excellent job!!!
Easy.
Quote:

Dungeon Hack Feedback

1) Winning initiative is explained as rolling the monster's level +1. So, is it always a 1 in 6 chance of winning initiative? I did it this way, seems hard but I won in the end.

A: The way it works is YOU are rolling to win initiative over the each monster. So depending on the level of the monster you must roll a value of 1 higher than the monsters level; that is where the "monster's level +1" comes in. So when attacking a Level 2 monster you need to roll a 3 or higher on a d6 to win initiative or the monster gets the initiative and an orange cube! If you were attacking a level 5 monster you would need to roll a 6 on a d6 to win the initiative!
I did not find "or higher" in the rules.
Quote:

2) Can the blessing re-roll be used to retool the initiative dice or master attack dice? I did not do this.

A: Yes and Yes! If you lose an initiative roll for a monster but have a blessing reroll ability, you can try to win the initiative against that monster! And yes you can reroll an action die as long as it's not locked!
Cool. I meant to say monster attack not master attack. I guess no for that one.
Quote:

3) Can a level 2 fighter with 3 swords do 1 damage per sword icon to weaken 3 opponents (as s/he can as a level 1 fighter)? In other words can I break up my attack. I did so.

A: No, this is a major attack that can't be broken up and must be used against one monster!
Ok. My bad.
Quote:

4) I just draw a room with a door on it before entering the room, but the room has nothing in it. Do I need to unlock the door to enter it to then just turn back? I did so.

A: Hmm... I think all room dungeon tiles have at least a monster to fight. Which tile did you draw that was blank with nothing on it? To answer the question, if there is a door that is before the room area then yes you must open the door to enter the room even it there was nothing in the room.
Ok. The room that takes you to the market place does not.
Quote:

5) The starting tile has a door. Do you need to lock it before entering? This was good thematically and to get you to learn the game. I did so.

A: This door you are suppose to ignore, it is there for looks and not so much for the player to start the adventure having to open a door BUT if it added to the thematic element of the game then yes I would play that you have to open it to enter the dungeon!
Otherwise all the creepy crawlies would just come out, right! I say keep it, it eases you into the game.
Quote:

6) Do you have to re-roll all of your dice? I would like to leave some of the ones I did not use. I did not do this.

A: Any dice that aren't locked and have been placed in the REGROUP area must be rerolled, you can't leave dice that are in the regroup area unrolled.
Ok.
Quote:

7) Can choose to move camp dice and/or blessing dice to the regroup card before I roll my dice? I did so.

A: If they are still locked in place then NO. If you used a blessing and they need to be moved to the REGROUP area then yes! If a second camp die is placed and you move the camp heal marker to the right, these two dice are then placed in the regroup area to be rerolled on the next round!
Ok.
Quote:

8) Wording on the USE SPELL BOOK action is odd. Why does it say Book 1 only? Does it activate all the spells that are ready or only one spell? I used it for either spell book 1 or 2.

A: I could find where it said this but I think the wording is to state if you are a level 1 wizard you can only cast spells from the level 1 spell book. Once you reach level 2 you can cast spells from both spell books; level 1 and level 2. It activates all spells on any book that you have action dice on and are ready to cast!
Ok. Look at the character card, both sides say "level 1".
Quote:

9) If the character only level up once, I suggest you make the cards wider, add the upgrade track on the level 1 side, but not on the level 2 side, giving you more space for text.

A: The area that the level up track is on is suppose to be the corridor wall, so if I add it to the level one character card I would have to add it to the level 2 character card but just showing the wall only with no track. It could work but it wouldn't give me any extra space to work with. I'll look in to it!

Ok. Just being in formation was enough for me. Some rooms are large and that does not affect anything, so I would not bother so much. But I guess it could make you feel like you are in the dungeon.
Quote:

10) Can a magical item be used more than once per turn? I though no.

A: I think you mean round and no, you can only use a magic item once per round. A turn is the whole engagement with fighting monsters until they are all destroyed and searching and traps, doors, etc.. and a round is each time you perform actions within the turn which means you can have a number of rounds occur in a singe turn. The turn ends when everything is cleared within the dungeon tile!

Ok. Magic items - once per round. I found a few discrepancies between turn and round. Personally I call each room you move into a round in which you take several turns. But that is just me. If you call it "rooms" and "tries", then problem solved.
Quote:

11) Can you choose your boss or do you have to roll for it? Rulebook inconsistency? I choose.

A: Yes, You can choose when boss you want to fight depending on if you want a hard game "The Dragon" or a little easier game "The Lich".
Ok. I read choose randomly somewhere in the rulebook.
Quote:

12) Can you use the potion of invisibility with a boss? Does it last the whole TURN or ROUND? If TURN, then the BOSS just never sees you. I thought turn.

A: Magic item effects only last for a round. Yes you can but it is only for a round and I need to fix the card because it should say round and not turn. Thanks for catching that!
Ok, makes the last battle harder/better. Check the poison/traps cards too. Same problem I think.
Quote:

13) Why does the wizard not have a heal spell? I either have book or hats, but need both.

A: Because to me, that should be the job of the Cleric so that's why I didn't add one for the wizard.
Ok. I recommend: Hat Hat = +1 health. Coz if you only have one book, its kind of hard do cast anything.
Quote:

14) Can a monster with stone skin be attacked by a wizard's 2 hats? I thought no.

A: No because you basically need to hit with at least 2 points of damage to do 1 point of actual damage to the monster.
Ok.
Quote:

The rules are ok, but need a lot of work.

A: I totally agree and now that I have the rules completed for Zombie Apocalypse and uploaded, I can revamp the rules for Dungeon Hack!!

The game felt balanced. Very balance. Well done. There was always something I needed, but that resulted in something else being there to be used.

The dice need to be made, you can't use the chart if you are locking dice because you won't know which dice you locked, or when you bring a die back you won't know which die it was. I suggest making the dice, or color coding your six white dice.

A: I totally agree and I wish they had more colored die so that I could use those color for all the white dice. I do make engraved dice for the game.

I won and teleported out with a potion I found on the last card. Nearly died here, there, and there, and there. The game was tense. I allowed my self to fudge one damage that would have killed my wizard. His health went to 0 but then camped after the round ended.

A: Now that I have giving the character the ability to leave the dungeon I thinking of adding more to the game such as an expansion of a totally new dungeon or adventure! Time will tell... stay tuned!

It took a bloody long time. I mean a long time! I had to divide the game into three sessions just leaving it on the table for lunch and dinner.

A: I am trying to streamline things and please let me know which area seemed to take the longest. If they felt unnecessarily long I have think of ways to either shorten them or make them play quicker.

Thanks again for playing and I'm working on a new play through video to cover all the new rules. I will also work on updating the rules!

Wow, what a good game that was. A lot of effort - but worth it. Want to play again.

That is something I will never get tired of hearing!!

More questions to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Not sure about the timing of the shield block damage or shield sword block damage actions. Can I block after the monsters roll the attack dice.

2) Also, I'm not comfortable breaking and entering without a warrant. Do the monsters have rights?

3) The tile chart don't seem necessary. Just stack the deck of dungeon tiles to match the chart before the beginning of the game. Saves you a LOT of space.

4) When a D6-2 attack yields a 2 on the die, is that a 0 attack?

5) What? Please chance the D4 attack to something divisible like 2 3 or 6. A little chart would not hurt either. Put it on the back of the market reference car. I just block that D4 attack with my fighter, if I can.

6) During set up I put the L2 and L3 monster in the discard pile, it smoothes out the process of setup. When the cards run out, shuffle them all in. What happens if they run out again? I repeat.

7) I felt the cleric and the thrive should swap heath tracks. Why is that priest such a tough nut?

8) How long do your plays take? I don't see any stream line issues, the game runs well. Why not add all the quests though? To make the adventure complete.

9) Why not level up again? Part of the fun was getting them to be stronger.

10) Adding experience is based on the monster level, right? So a L1 give 1 xp, a level 5 gives 5px. I saw it on the card, but not in the rules.

11) I assume that the cleric's blessing and wizard's book flip over also. Was that in the rules too?

12) What happens if you have dice locked on spell book 1 but want to use spell book 2 on the same turn (aka room)?

Had my second play today. Faster. Died but I took a lot of them with me. At least I won't be sentenced for trespassing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up, I just uploaded a major fix and update to the character/spell book sheet. I fixed the issues you spoke about on the level 2 wizard card plus I made some other changes you can read about here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1698726/some-card-and-tile-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the timing of the shield block damage or shield sword block damage actions. Can I block after the monsters roll the attack dice.

A: Yes!

2) Also, I'm not comfortable breaking and entering without a warrant. Do the monsters have rights?

A: No!

3) The tile chart don't seem necessary. Just stack the deck of dungeon tiles to match the chart before the beginning of the game. Saves you a LOT of space.

A: I guess this would work as long as you gave all the cards a good shuffle before you created the stack! I do like this ideas though but you still need to chart to create the stack so....

4) When a D6-2 attack yields a 2 on the die, is that a 0 attack?

A: No, all attacks should produce at least 1 point of damage!

5) What? Please chance the D4 attack to something divisible like 2 3 or 6. A little chart would not hurt either. Put it on the back of the market reference car. I just block that D4 attack with my fighter, if I can.

A: I plan on going through the entire game and seeing where I can consolidate any d4 dice to a d6 dice! I agree!

6) During set up I put the L2 and L3 monster in the discard pile, it smoothes out the process of setup. When the cards run out, shuffle them all in. What happens if they run out again? I repeat.

A: After you play through all the level 1 monsters and then shuffle them together will the level 2 and level 3 monsters, I don't think you will go through that deck; I haven't yet and I've played a bunch of times. Not sure what you did to have this happen...

7) I felt the cleric and the thrive should swap heath tracks. Why is that priest such a tough nut?

A: hmmm.....something to think about.

8) How long do your plays take? I don't see any stream line issues, the game runs well. Why not add all the quests though? To make the adventure complete.

A: Hmmm... I'll have to play test this and see what happens. Give it a go and let me know what you think or if this is feasible or even possible.

9) Why not level up again? Part of the fun was getting them to be stronger.

A: I've been working of level 3 and 4 character cards but don't have them completed yet. still in the works but yes this may be an option soon!

10) Adding experience is based on the monster level, right? So a L1 give 1 xp, a level 5 gives 5px. I saw it on the card, but not in the rules.

A: NO, it doesn't matter what the monster level is, you only get 1 EXP when you kill the monster!

11) I assume that the cleric's blessing and wizard's book flip over also. Was that in the rules too?

A: The blessing is only available for first or second level because level 2 is basically an enhancement to level 1 but the spell book can both be available at the same time! "New sheet to print should be available soon"

12) What happens if you have dice locked on spell book 1 but want to use spell book 2 on the same turn (aka room)?

A: You can move the dice but the Wizard will take damage.

Had my second play today. Faster. Died but I took a lot of them with me. At least I won't be sentenced for trespassing.

Hehehehehe....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few comments based on my own plays and Joe's previous replies

Dividing attacks: If you have 2 swords that do 3 damage when both are used, you can’t divide that damage to do 2 to one monster and 1 to another, but you could use 1 sword for a 1 damage attack each to 2 different monsters, right Joe? You’re not required to choose to conduct the higher power attack?

Regarding locked dice, you have changed your mind in the course of the development of the game as to what dice remain locked and which ones can be voluntarily unlocked. Wandering monster dice you have always said need to remain locked till you roll a second one (which generates another monster). In the original game this was also true of camp dice and blessing dice. You have said to me that perhaps you had changed your mind on the last two. What is your current viewpoint?

I've said before that blessing dice, while useful, were often not worth the loss of those dice by the characters and that I would often use the blessing dice whenever possible whether I needed them or not just to get the dice back because I wanted them for what I thought were better uses.

In regards to stacking the tiles, that seems like a cool idea, though I have mentioned to Joe that perhaps there needs to be a step added after you draw your quests to change what tiles are going to be used during the game (for instance quest 4 needs 3 junction tiles, which is all the junction tiles you ever see so if you ever want to complete that quest, I think you might have to configure the deck). Of course Joe doesn't necessarily want you to encounter all the quests you draw. But if you ARE going to encounter a quest 4 tile, it's annoying that you can never actually solve the quest since the rest of the tiles aren't in there. That would affect the tile stacking.

Other games, like Temple of Elemental Evil don't use the chart, and they do occasionally hit dead ends, but they tend to give each tile a LOT more exists so that dead ends become very unlikely. It also means there are always a LOT of unexplored paths. It does simplify things (no need for the chart, all the tiles are the same, you just shuffle them, etc.). Not sure it's better, it's just different.

Joe's following the hit point profiles from D&D. Clerics have more hit points than thieves typically. Also you want to keep your healer alive in a D&D party, so no-one objects to this, which dates to 1st edition D&D. Lots of games do this because of D&D's influence, just as lots of games (including D&D) have elves who are tall and handsome (unlike what elves used to be depicted as) just because they're all following the lead of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

Using shields after monster rolls. I didn’t think you could either, nice to know though. More tactical options. I suspect this might call for an addition to the manual.

Minimum 1 damage is new too. I actually asked a question as to whether a special damage attack triggered if the damage was reduced to 0 and you said yes, implying that the damage could be reduced to 0. I will start giving them minimum 1 damage. Probably also needs a manual addition.

Regarding L2 and L3 monsters in the discard pile, I have always ended up exhausting the L1 deck, so you always have to end up shuffling the other monsters in anyway, his way they are just already in the discard pile. I’m not sure this is a big change, but it’s perfectly reasonable. It doesn't change the outcome, it's just a different way of doing the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Just a few comments based on my own plays and Joe's previous replies

Dividing attacks: If you have 2 swords that do 3 damage when both are used, you can’t divide that damage to do 2 to one monster and 1 to another, but you could use 1 sword for a 1 damage attack each to 2 different monsters, right Joe? You’re not required to choose to conduct the higher power attack?

A: That is correct!

Regarding locked dice, you have changed your mind in the course of the development of the game as to what dice remain locked and which ones can be voluntarily unlocked. Wandering monster dice you have always said need to remain locked till you roll a second one (which generates another monster). In the original game this was also true of camp dice and blessing dice. You have said to me that perhaps you had changed your mind on the last two. What is your current viewpoint?

A: I like the idea of being able to use the camp and blessing dice when necessary so I'm more on the side of not having these dice locked. I would like people to try it first and see if it changes the balance of the game play. Yet I do like this idea!

I've said before that blessing dice, while useful, were often not worth the loss of those dice by the characters and that I would often use the blessing dice whenever possible whether I needed them or not just to get the dice back because I wanted them for what I thought were better uses.

A: I agree!

In regards to stacking the tiles, that seems like a cool idea, though I have mentioned to Joe that perhaps there needs to be a step added after you draw your quests to change what tiles are going to be used during the game (for instance quest 4 needs 3 junction tiles, which is all the junction tiles you ever see so if you ever want to complete that quest, I think you might have to configure the deck). Of course Joe doesn't necessarily want you to encounter all the quests you draw. But if you ARE going to encounter a quest 4 tile, it's annoying that you can never actually solve the quest since the rest of the tiles aren't in there. That would affect the tile stacking.

A: Yes I agree! It would be very frustrating to get a quest and not have the ability to complete it so I'm in total agreement with this as long as there is a good shuffle for better randomness with regard to all the quests and the required tiles.

Other games, like Temple of Elemental Evil don't use the chart, and they do occasionally hit dead ends, but they tend to give each tile a LOT more exists so that dead ends become very unlikely. It also means there are always a LOT of unexplored paths. It does simplify things (no need for the chart, all the tiles are the same, you just shuffle them, etc.). Not sure it's better, it's just different.

Joe's following the hit point profiles from D&D. Clerics have more hit points than thieves typically. Also you want to keep your healer alive in a D&D party, so no-one objects to this, which dates to 1st edition D&D. Lots of games do this because of D&D's influence, just as lots of games (including D&D) have elves who are tall and handsome (unlike what elves used to be depicted as) just because they're all following the lead of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

Using shields after monster rolls. I didn’t think you could either, nice to know though. More tactical options. I suspect this might call for an addition to the manual.

Minimum 1 damage is new too. I actually asked a question as to whether a special damage attack triggered if the damage was reduced to 0 and you said yes, implying that the damage could be reduced to 0. I will start giving them minimum 1 damage. Probably also needs a manual addition.

A: Yes, I'm working right now on updating the DH manual because it really needs it!

Regarding L2 and L3 monsters in the discard pile, I have always ended up exhausting the L1 deck, so you always have to end up shuffling the other monsters in anyway, his way they are just already in the discard pile. I’m not sure this is a big change, but it’s perfectly reasonable. It doesn't change the outcome, it's just a different way of doing the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Just a heads up, I just uploaded a major fix and update to the character/spell book sheet. I fixed the issues you spoke about on the level 2 wizard card plus I made some other changes you can read about here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1698726/some-card-and-tile-...

Make sure you keep them separate from the files linked via the PNPGDA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.