$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Dok LP
msg tools
Greetings board gamers!

I'm an experienced Game programmer really into board gaming at the moment, and I'm seeking opportunities in remote digital board game project jobs!

Either porting a game to the computers or creating an entirely new experience works for me.

Do you guys know of any companies that are into this at the moment, that I could send my CV over?

I have done some research on my part, but have found that any companies doing this are using in-house people and teams, however I'm asking here in case I am missing something.

FYI, here is my portfolio: http://kdokos.wixsite.com/kdokos

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could try the usual suspects. boardgamearena, boite-a-jeux.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for paid work? Or just something interesting related to boardgames and computers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok LP
msg tools
entranced wrote:
Could try the usual suspects. boardgamearena, boite-a-jeux.

I have checked out BGA already, but I am looking for development on a new platform, such as iOS, Android or PCs. Will check out boite-a-jeux too though!

heruca wrote:
Are you looking for paid work? Or just something interesting related to boardgames and computers?

Currently looking for paid projects for clients or companies who want to see their board game as a standalone application on a specific platform.

Thanks for your replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalDok wrote:

Currently looking for paid projects for clients or companies who want to see their board game as a standalone application on a specific platform.

Don't hold your breath. Some percentage of publishers and some
percentage of developers think there's a sweet spot, where all
a game needs is a good digital edition to turn it into a money
spinner, but examples of this being true are nonexistent.

Some very successful board games have had modest success as
digital versions, and some digital originals have made enough
to justify their existence, but for the most part the field is
strewn with failed dreams.

Of course, nobody is publishing their numbers, so perhaps there
are developers/publishers laughing in their island retreats, but
I doubt it. The ones laughing are either making mindless solo
time wasters, or massively produced shooters, not board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mensch
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice portfolio!

We're working on a digital board game, but not looking for any developers at the moment. I do have a friend who's trying to create a board game engine for Unity, but that's still in development.

You might want to create something that's a bit more "board game" on your own: Your experience looks solid, but people often have very little imagination, so if you want to be hired to work on porting an existing game, it's much stronger to show them a game that you've made that looks something like their game. They may not understand that it's actually easier to do a game like that.

For our game, we are thinking in terms of running a Kickstarter, and if we strike the jackpot (i.e., if we actually have money to spend), we might be hiring developers. I'll keep you in mind, though I don't know if you'd be interested.

Our game is entirely unlike other existing digital board games. The only app that's currently around that's doing anything like it is The JackBox Party Pack: You just download the main game and all the players just hook up to a web site to play.

So if we ever have a budget, I'll keep you in mind, though given that we're focusing on the board game aspect more than it being a "video game that plays like a board game," it's not particularly sexy gamedev work: No 3d at all. All the code is in TypeScript; the UI is handled in HTML/CSS. Animations are basic. The still images are nice, but they will represent cards and miniatures.

A lot of "digital board games" are focusing what I think is on the wrong aspect: Trying to make board games prettier or adding animations to them. We're trying to add functionality to board games that could be done with paper, but that a computer is much better suited to handle all of the upkeep.

We really want to play a board game, but don't want to do the annoying bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game looks like something that can attract an audience, but it
sounds more like a MMOG than a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Craner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Would you consider revenue share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mensch
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ddyer wrote:
Your game looks like something that can attract an audience, but it
sounds more like a MMOG than a board game.

Steel Dragons is not at all like a MMOG. The first version will only be set up to play with people in the same room, and should play with the feel of a board game. Think of it more like a Mage Knight or Magic Realm that can be played in less than an hour.

The design has evolved since the initial announcement, too. We're going for 100% board game feel, with dice, cards, the works. For a high enough Kickstarter level, we may even have a physical version, though it might take 5 hours to play a game that you can play on the computer in 40 minutes.

We could also just have a compromise tier: Send the cards and maybe the special dice, so that you have the physical cards to read.

But we're bending over backwards to keep this in the board game genre. In large part because I like board games, and I don't want to risk breaking what works about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mensch
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lancecraner wrote:
Would you consider revenue share?

For developers to work with me on the game? Yes, I have one dev working that way (a friend who volunteered).

But at this point I'd only be interested in talking to people with pretty solid experience. If I started working with someone who didn't work out, I'd either have to give them nothing at all or a tiny percentage. And I don't really want to do the extra bookkeeping for the life of the game for a 0.1% share, you know?

It's better to try out developers on a cash basis, so you can pay them for their work and if they don't work out, just part ways.

That said, there is a contact email on the About page on the site. Look at the last paragraph. Happy to talk with game devs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.