Star Wars PocketModel TCG» Forums » General

Subject: Simultaneous Damage Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Klaren
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
So, me and a buddy are playing a match yesterday. And a situation came up that we weren't sure of how to rule.

So...I have a common tie bomber, with 1 shield, and anakin skywalkers jedi starfighter with 1 shield left as well. I attack with both +3 native attack units against my friend's Droid Landing Craft thats taken 2 damage so far. Our 6 damage can take it!

I attack first with the star fighter. I play spotting team for a group bonus, but he plays Hate leads to suffering. So our attacks go off, my star fighter misses, he hits, and assigns a damage to my tie bomber.

Herein lies our issue. I know the ruling is both units get to attack in a fight, even if one is destroyed first. (i.e. both ships would die.) but in this case...Does my bomber get to attack? Or is it just insta-dead since it wasn't attacking yet? We ruled it that the tie didn't get to attack and was just auto-killed because it wasn't in a combat of it's own yet.

Were we right? It was a huge bummer losing those two ships in one combat in my home zone. left me with one ship left...Rogue Shadow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth T'Tam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, you can only battle 1-on-1, not multiple units against each other.

So you attack with Anakin's starfighter and play spotting team, opponent plays HLTS, Anakin's Starfighter is dealt 2 damage, and the battle ends because he was destroyed (like the card states).

Then, next battle, your bomber attacks. It gets +2 from spotting team (which stayed on the table) plus it's attack bonus from its base, plus the bonus from whatever card you play that battle. Opponent also gets to play a card.

Also, does Anakin's starfighter have 'scout'? It's the only sheet of tactics units I don't have, so I couldn't reference it myself.

EDIT: here's the how-to-play video from the first release. It can explain the 1-at-a-time battling better than I can: http://youtu.be/hvzol50_b20
Skip to 3:38

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Klaren
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thank you for your reply.

I need to, first, apologize. It isn't HLTS that he played. He played the card "Missile Launcher" (if this unit hits, assign one damage to another opposing unit in this area). That makes things make more sense.

I attack him, miss. He hits Anakin, kills him, assigns a damage to the tie bomber, which would kill it too.

But my question is; despite the fact that both the attack and defender roll simultaneously during combat, the tie bomber isn't actually in active combat yet because its Anakin's turn. Would the bomber die before getting to attack? I believe it would, because the splash damage isn't a direct result of an attack on the bomber.

As a final note, in regards to your attack with multiple units question...According to the rules FAQ, as the attacker, I am allowed to declare multiple units to attack one unit. They do attack one at a time, you're right. If your unit is destroyed before mine gets to perform its assigned attack, I am NOT allowed to reassign that action. So that becomes your gamble. Do you NEED to focus fire, at risk of losing an action?

Anyway, what do you think? Again, I really appreciate the reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth T'Tam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, i think you're right. The bomber would be destroyed before attacking, because all damage is compared to shields at the end of a battle.

I tend not to "focus fire" so I don't waste any units, but if there's a limited amount of enemy units, or a particularly dangerous unit, I think it can be pretty useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Klaren
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
well, my only remaining ships were those two and the Rogue Shadow. He had a healthy sum still, and that droid dropship coming to deliver the pain. I had to gamble. And i lost, bad. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.