$15.00
$20.00
$30.00
$5.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mega Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Reprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel King
msg tools
Hey Guys,

I've been tempted to buy mega-cive for a while, what stopped me is my group plays the Gibson version with 3-6 players, so while I'd love the new cards, rules tweaks etc, I really do not need to be able to play it with 18 players, and want to keep playing with 3 or 4.

I've been looking recently and I read that this is now out of stock with the publishers, does anyone know if it will be reprinted, and if they may do a smaller variant so it can be played with 3 or 4 players again?

Cheers,

Daniel.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still available from FunAgain:

https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=034756
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
msg tools
Cheers, I'm in the UK and while I cannot find any stock here, (bar one overpriced copy on Amazon) I did find some left in Europe, not super cheap to import with shipping though.

As I play with 3-6 players though I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a copy while I can or if there may be a smaller player version being made at some point.

I'd really prefer a version that can work with with 3-6 players like my Gibson games edition.

Daniel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MegaCiv has rules for 5-18 players. I suppose they could be tweaked for 3-4 as well, but as with both Civ and ACiv I personally wouldn't play any of the versions with fewer than six. A high number of players is kind of the point of all Civ versions.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the1darklord wrote:
Cheers, I'm in the UK and while I cannot find any stock here, (bar one overpriced copy on Amazon) I did find some left in Europe, not super cheap to import with shipping though.

As I play with 3-6 players though I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a copy while I can or if there may be a smaller player version being made at some point.

I'd really prefer a version that can work with with 3-6 players like my Gibson games edition.

Daniel.


The Designers of Mega Civ have explicitly stated they have no plans for 3-4 player game support.

That said one of the two designers is on record saying that 6p is his favorite player count so it's most definitely playable at that number.

I agree with the previous post that Civ simply shines with 6+ players.

With 3-4 you're far better off just playing Clash of Cultures.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarosław Czarniak
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the1darklord wrote:
Hey Guys,

I've been tempted to buy mega-cive for a while, what stopped me is my group plays the Gibson version with 3-6 players, so while I'd love the new cards, rules tweaks etc, I really do not need to be able to play it with 18 players, and want to keep playing with 3 or 4.

I've been looking recently and I read that this is now out of stock with the publishers, does anyone know if it will be reprinted, and if they may do a smaller variant so it can be played with 3 or 4 players again?

Cheers,

Daniel.


A week ago I've seen one copy in boardgame shop in Groningen, NL.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the1darklord wrote:
Cheers, I'm in the UK


Whereabouts in the UK? If you're down south you're welcome to come play with my group sometime to see if you like it

The game will never be made for 3-4 players though, the whole point is that it's for a big player count.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS (Brain Games) has it in stock at 250e. They might ship to UK, but it is a heavy package so you probabbly would be looking at 300e total.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard bol.com has some copies left and they ship. Don't know where they will ship and what that will cost.

Indeed Mega Civilization was always meant to be big and does not support less than 5 players. The problem is not the board, but the interaction with players during trade. And the game is all about trade. The fun is just with more players.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Rae
Belgium
Zele
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It might be out of distribution it is still available in retail.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Alatar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a lot in stock:
http://alphaspel.se/491-bradspel/58308-mega-civilization
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
msg tools
Cheers Guys,

We play Civ about once year and really enjoy it even with just 3 or 4 players! As an advantage it plays much faster, we've finished a 3 player in around 3 and a half hours, and even 4 or 5 rarely goes above 6 hours.

I may be best just sticking with what I have then.

Thanks,

Daniel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
msg tools
Cheers! It's definitely tempting. I'm in Macclesfield, just south of Manchester.

Daniel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the1darklord wrote:
Cheers Guys,

We play Civ about once year and really enjoy it even with just 3 or 4 players! As an advantage it plays much faster, we've finished a 3 player in around 3 and a half hours, and even 4 or 5 rarely goes above 6 hours.

I may be best just sticking with what I have then.

Thanks,

Daniel.


Which Nations and areas do you use?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
msg tools
Just the standard ones set in the manual. Its quite a small section for 3 players!



Daniel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarosław Czarniak
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the1darklord wrote:
Just the standard ones set in the manual. Its quite a small section for 3 players!



Daniel.


Does it really work without significant amount of extra house rules ? I mean how trade can work with only two/three people? Four was barely enough in Aciv, Mciv is even more demanding.

How to maintain your trade cards and calamities if opponent(s) knows exactly what cards do you have after while ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
msg tools
I've not played it 2 player, I mostly play with 4 or 5. We've done 3 player a couple of times and enjoyed it.

I don't recall any problems with trading or anything that were specific to 3 player, in any game you know what cards your opponent wants, (as they announce it) and can guess they will probably have a calamity, with exception to Civil War though you can generally ride them out out quite easily, so you trade in the knowledge you will get some bad stuff. Also while you only have to state one card and the total value, there's nothing stopping you saying I would really like such and such other cards too, if your opponent agrees then working out the numbers, you should have a reasonable idea at what you are getting in return.

So far we don't use any house rules at all! That being said the game is very much a steeple chase and I do have one friend who dislikes that, so I am wondering if there any house that may tweak this slightly. Planning on looking into house rules on this forum when I get chance.

Daniel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarosław Czarniak
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there is also problem of low card number in a play. Take salt for example. With 3 players it will take at least 3 rounds to collect whole set. 4-5 is more realistic. That means you're building single set for 1/3 - ½ of the game. How did you prevent that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
msg tools
Hmm I guess we worked on the smaller sets instead, we had no problems hitting the barriers that I recall.

Daniel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, when I saw it was out at the publisher I decided it would vanish quickly from the shelves - it creates the impetus for anyone who has been on the fence about it (cough *me* cough). It's already gone in the UK and I suspect it won't be long in Europe.

Act now before you get scalped!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
msg tools
You're right, I've just ordered myself a copy from Germany! Little bit expensive with shipping, (€197 total) but I'd regret it otherwise.

I've got a 6 player game planned for over Xmas, assuming it comes in time! (fingers crossed)

Can't wait to play it, been reading the rules and it seems a lot of the basics are the same as my Gibson Civilisation yet also quite different in many ways!

Daniel.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Alatar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the1darklord wrote:
Hey Guys,

I've been tempted to buy mega-cive for a while, what stopped me is my group plays the Gibson version with 3-6 players, so while I'd love the new cards, rules tweaks etc, I really do not need to be able to play it with 18 players, and want to keep playing with 3 or 4.

I've been looking recently and I read that this is now out of stock with the publishers, does anyone know if it will be reprinted, and if they may do a smaller variant so it can be played with 3 or 4 players again?

Cheers,

Daniel.


It's not any difference from before. You can of course play it with 4 players but my advice is to have at least 5 players for the trade work, this goes for the old gibson edition as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to recommend not buying the full version, but if you want to get just a limited set of tokens, trade cards, and advances, you can probably order what you need from camelotgames:

https://www.camelotgamestore.com/nopC

I was prepared to get everything for at least a 12 player game when they announced that they were publishing MegaCiv.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wylann wrote:
I don't want to recommend not buying the full version, but if you want to get just a limited set of tokens, trade cards, and advances, you can probably order what you need from camelotgames:

https://www.camelotgamestore.com/nopC

I was prepared to get everything for at least a 12 player game when they announced that they were publishing MegaCiv.


I recommend not to trust on the game parts. They took an early version of our civproject from at least 8 years ago. Long before the game was thoroughly tested. We have improved and fixed so much in between.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flodehaan wrote:
Wylann wrote:
I don't want to recommend not buying the full version, but if you want to get just a limited set of tokens, trade cards, and advances, you can probably order what you need from camelotgames:

https://www.camelotgamestore.com/nopC

I was prepared to get everything for at least a 12 player game when they announced that they were publishing MegaCiv.


I recommend not to trust on the game parts. They took an early version of our civproject from at least 8 years ago. Long before the game was thoroughly tested. We have improved and fixed so much in between.

Does that mean you're planning on another print of MegaCiv?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.