Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this card supposed to work?

As written, it says the Metro is locked down for 24 hours and to give to the player on your left, at the end of their next turn the lockdown is discarded.

If I'm not the last player in the round, the player on my left is going to go next, which means the card will only last for that players turn and then be discarded.

If I am the last player in the round, the player on my left will get the card, but then pass the First Player marker to the player on their left, and the next round begins. Which means the lockdown will affect everyone.

Is the above correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocket Lee
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Anarchocat vs paper riot vans!
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
How is this card supposed to work?

As written, it says the Metro is locked down for 24 hours and to give to the player on your left, at the end of their next turn the lockdown is discarded.

If I'm not the last player in the round, the player on my left is going to go next, which means the card will only last for that players turn and then be discarded.

If I am the last player in the round, the player on my left will get the card, but then pass the First Player marker to the player on their left, and the next round begins. Which means the lockdown will affect everyone.

Is the above correct?

Close. The intent is that the metro is locked down for 24 hours.

Here's how it works (assume a 4 player game):
• If you are the first faction: It affects you and the other players this round and then just the player to your left again next round. So it's in effect for 5 turns.
• If you are not the first faction and also not the last faction: It affects you and the other players this round and goes around again in the next round. So it's in effect for 5 turns.
• If you are the last faction: It affects you, the round ends, and then affects everyone for the next round. So it's in effect for 5 turns.

Does that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mimlee wrote:
Close. The intent is that the metro is locked down for 24 hours.

Here's how it works (assume a 4 player game):
• If you are the first faction: It affects you and the other players this round and then just the player to your left again next round. So it's in effect for 5 turns.
• If you are not the first faction and also not the last faction: It affects you and the other players this round and goes around again in the next round. So it's in effect for 5 turns.
• If you are the last faction: It affects you, the round ends, and then affects everyone for the next round. So it's in effect for 5 turns.

Does that make sense?

That makes a little more sense, although the wording of the card doesn't match what you said, and it also makes for some ackwardness with receiving a card and having it affect you that round and all the way around to the next night. Add 2 Metro lockdowns at the same time (which has happened both times I've played), and there could be some confusion about what is still in effect.

It also is going to affect the player it's placed in front of up to 2 straight nights.
Assume 4 player game, ABCD, A starts, no reaction rolls ever (to make the examples simpler), so cards only drawn when your turn is done:
- If A draws the card (B gets it), it hits BCD this round, new round (BCDA) starts and it hits B
- If B draws the card (C gets it), it hits CD this round, new round (BCDA) starts and it hits BC
- If C draws the card (D gets it), it hits D this round, new round (BCDA) starts, it hits BCD.
- If D draws the card (A gets it), new round (BCDA) starts and it hits BCDA.

If my scenarios above are correct, the 1st player in a round where it is drawn will never be impacted by it unless the last player of the round draws it (last scenario).

I like the concept of the card, and thematically it is great, I wish the execution of the rules surrounding it were better.

My potential variant:
Metro Lockdowns are in effect for the entire NEXT night. If this is the last night, Metro Lockdowns are in effect immediately.
This makes it easier, for me at least, to keep track of the lockdowns. It could make the current round a little easier, since if A drew it, normally it would impact everyone right now, but now it waits until the next night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocket Lee
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Anarchocat vs paper riot vans!
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:

It also is going to affect the player it's placed in front of up to 2 straight nights.
Assume 4 player game, ABCD, A starts, no reaction rolls ever (to make the examples simpler), so cards only drawn when your turn is done:
- If A draws the card (B gets it), it hits BCD this round, new round (BCDA) starts and it hits B
- If B draws the card (C gets it), it hits CD this round, new round (BCDA) starts and it hits BC
- If C draws the card (D gets it), it hits D this round, new round (BCDA) starts, it hits BCD.
- If D draws the card (A gets it), new round (BCDA) starts and it hits BCDA.

If my scenarios above are correct, the 1st player in a round where it is drawn will never be impacted by it unless the last player of the round draws it (last scenario).

That's correct if you are only drawing the Metro Lockdown card during Police Operations and not as a result of Reaction Rolls.

farsidehobbes wrote:

I like the concept of the card, and thematically it is great, I wish the execution of the rules surrounding it were better.

My potential variant:
Metro Lockdowns are in effect for the entire NEXT night. If this is the last night, Metro Lockdowns are in effect immediately.
This makes it easier, for me at least, to keep track of the lockdowns. It could make the current round a little easier, since if A drew it, normally it would impact everyone right now, but now it waits until the next night.

I definitely agree the wording on this card is not ideal. :/ We went back and forth on this card a bunch during design and playtesting. In the beta version, it used to only be in effect through the end of the night, but that was way more variable (affecting 0-4 turns depending on when it was drawn). If we do a second edition, I'm definitely going to look closely at how to make this card less confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really liking the game, and so far, this is the only thing I don't care for (the mechanics of the card, not the theme of it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Waters
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another possible workaround that would add a tiny bit of record keeping, but I think, would bring the card back closer to its original intent.

My proposal is this:

Add four tokens of some sort to the game (or perhaps use one style of the graffiti tokens). These tokens would be used as "metro closed" tokens. When a Metro Lockdown card was drawn you would pass a token out to each player. Players who had one in their possession would not be able to use the Metro. Players would return the tokens at the end (after Police Ops) of any turn in which no Metro Lockdown card was drawn. If a second Metro Lockdown card was drawn while one was still ongoing, you would just make sure all four factions had a token again (or, put another way, each faction would have a hand limit of one for "Metro Closed" tokens).

The net result would be that all four factions would be penalized on their next turn, whenever that might happen in the sequence of play and that drawing a second one would just extend the length of the first, both of which seem to be the intended results. It does mean its effects only last four turns rather than five and that the Metro may open up for one player briefly in between shutting down for others, but that seems to me to fit the theme anyway. It also eliminates the need for a special rule for the last night, like was needed in Phil's workaround.

I'm planning on trying this out when I next get a chance to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warmonger wrote:
I have another possible workaround that would add a tiny bit of record keeping, but I think, would bring the card back closer to its original intent.

My proposal is this:

Add four tokens of some sort to the game (or perhaps use one style of the graffiti tokens). These tokens would be used as "metro closed" tokens. When a Metro Lockdown card was drawn you would pass a token out to each player. Players who had one in their possession would not be able to use the Metro. Players would return the tokens at the end (after Police Ops) of any turn in which no Metro Lockdown card was drawn. If a second Metro Lockdown card was drawn while one was still ongoing, you would just make sure all four factions had a token again (or, put another way, each faction would have a hand limit of one for "Metro Closed" tokens).

The net result would be that all four factions would be penalized on their next turn, whenever that might happen in the sequence of play and that drawing a second one would just extend the length of the first, both of which seem to be the intended results. It does mean its effects only last four turns rather than five and that the Metro may open up for one player briefly in between shutting down for others, but that seems to me to fit the theme anyway. It also eliminates the need for a special rule for the last night, like was needed in Phil's workaround.

I'm planning on trying this out when I next get a chance to play.

I do like where this variant is going, what with the tokens, although it can create very odd gaps in Lockdown coverage as you mentioned.
I worked through the scenarios like I did in a post above and you'll run into cases where in the next round (after the card was drawn) the first 2 players can't use the Metro, the 3rd can, and the 4th can't, or the first player can't, the 2nd and 3rd can, but the 4th can't.

All of that oddness, as well as my initial awkwardness with the card, is due to the first player rotating every round.

Overall, if you're playing full co-op, the odd gaps in coverage aren't really a problem, except thematically.

If you're playing semi-coop, then the thematic oddness of some players geting to use the metro the next round, and other not, could be very annoying if someone was going for a win that round.

For myself, since I only ever see myself playing this fully co-op, either my variant, or the one suggested with the tokens works just as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.