$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: KS update number 9 and nodes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
Looks like update 9 has a hint on how to incorporate the expansions in a custom campaign (rather than the standard lion antelope and phoenix).

(in my opinion) From the brief description each monster is given a node that it can be used in.

For example Node 1 could be White Lion and Gorm. When you make your custom campaign you choice one of them.

It appears to be a bit flexible (for example you could take Gorm and White Lion). However you can only have one monster from node 5. So far only the screaming god. But what goes in node 4? and what will it be up against?

Speculation
Node 1: White Lion, Gorm
Node 2: Spidicules, screaming antelope, flower knight
Node 3: Dung beetle knight, Phoenix, dragon king, sun stalker
Node 4: ??? (possible the DBK?)
Node 5: Screaming god

unnoded: Nightmare ram
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea. I would have expected the Lion God to be in Node 5 with the Screaming God so it must be in 4.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like this idea. Makes it much less confusing to create your campaign with the expansions you own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference, here's the note in the update.

Custom Campaign Node #5

Kingdom Death: Monster is a big game, with many expansions. When you're setting up your campaign and deciding which monsters to include, you typically should only have one of each "node." Node #5 is a little special, because you can ONLY have one per campaign.

The Screaming God Expansion extends your campaign by +5 years, pushing back the Gold Smoke Knight. It allows the players to chase down a new powerful armor set and, if they are lucky, Challenge the Lantern Parasite Queen! I'll talk more about nodes another time; it's a new system for putting together custom campaigns.

copyedited because poots plz
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Howe
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really enjoy the "if they are lucky" portion of this. I can only imagine horrors the Lantern Parasite Queen would have in store for them, especially with the Gold Smoke Knight right around the corner. Dark humor aside, there's definitely some big potential for this being a very deep expansion since I interpret her to be a bonus (albeit contingent on meeting some requirement) nemesis fight.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that Poots is also the parent of a toddler, "A BOOGERING BEYOND DESCRIPTION GOES DOWN" sounds terrifying.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Adams
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Interesting speculation, but it does make one wonder how the Green Knight Armor set would be achievable, given the enemy set required. Fun times to be a fan...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah....thinking about backing Screaming God TBH. In some ways its more interesting than Nightmare Ram.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Adams
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Epidemius wrote:
Yeah....thinking about backing Screaming God TBH. In some ways its more interesting than Nightmare Ram.


Back 'em both. Back it all! If you don't fly first class your kids will.
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am excited about this update for a number of reasons, because it's awesome and confirmed a few things.

1. The Screaming God is awesome and even more robust of an expansion than I had imagined. I was thinking a late game quarry along the same lines as the Lion God, but this is much more in-depth

2. The Screaming God armor looks AMAZING. And personally I'm super excited for the more dynamic sculpts the narrative figures are bringing to the table

3. We have a brand new never before seen monster coming, the Lantern Parasite Queen! As someone who follows KD religiously, its glorious to see something brand-new-never-before-seen incoming

4. Poots has long hinted that the Illuminated Lady was a part of a larger monster, and now we know - the Lantern Parasite Queen! People have been speculating for ages on what the monster would be. I also think the inclusion of an Illuminated Man is fantastic. Gender balance!

5. The comment about the nodes highly suggests that a custom campaign book is going to be part of this Kickstarter! My bet would be that its included in the KD:M Advanced book in the Gambler's Chest. As someone with all the expansions, it can be overwhelming trying to build a custom campaign. A set of guidelines like the node system he mentions sounds PERFECT

All in all, for me, this is the most exciting update to-date. I can't wait to see what else he has in store.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think (hope) that it resolves the "How do I cram all the expansions into a single campaing OMG!" question. In games I've run for other people, I've tried to work through what they might want to include but it's always been with the warning that too many monsters on the list means you'd dilute the story and your access to gear.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like that Screaming God adds 5 more years. So you can have a campaign that goes up to LY 35.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
I also like that Screaming God adds 5 more years. So you can have a campaign that goes up to LY 35.


My campaign goes to 11.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Epidemius wrote:
I also like that Screaming God adds 5 more years. So you can have a campaign that goes up to LY 35.


My campaign goes to 11.


Spinal Tap, is that you?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Epidemius wrote:
I also like that Screaming God adds 5 more years. So you can have a campaign that goes up to LY 35.


My campaign goes to 11.

By the time you put in all the expansions, it'll go to 111.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is perfect time to introduce this node setup mechanic especially since there will be a ton of new players getting this game! I know I've been super confused how all the expansions should integrate, what replaces what and what doesn't...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere I read about making an "expansion recipe book" of sorts, and this node system might be it: expansions sorted per level and probably per theme too (like the knights which lead to the green knight armor set).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewAU wrote:
I think this is perfect time to introduce this node setup mechanic especially since there will be a ton of new players getting this game! I know I've been super confused how all the expansions should integrate, what replaces what and what doesn't...


It's pretty clear on each of the expansions' rulebook: how to include it during an ongoing campaign or a new one.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
AndrewAU wrote:
I think this is perfect time to introduce this node setup mechanic especially since there will be a ton of new players getting this game! I know I've been super confused how all the expansions should integrate, what replaces what and what doesn't...


It's pretty clear on each of the expansions' rulebook: how to include it during an ongoing campaign or a new one.



With the difference that, organizing that in nodes, you should change COMPLETELY the timeline. For example, replace the White Lion. Or the Butcher.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Custom campaigns sound pretty cool. Hopefully he will go a little bit more in detail before the end of the KS. I'd lose to see an option for expansions to be introduced randomly based on what happens in the campaign.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the Nodes. Especially because I have a bit similar system in my own designed Campaign/Settlement Sheet with all the expansions (currently in serious play testing phase). Hmm, where do they get these ideas? ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dobby
msg tools
Slaaneth wrote:
It appears to be a bit flexible (for example you could take Gorm and White Lion). However you can only have one monster from node 5. So far only the screaming god. But what goes in node 4? and what will it be up against?

Speculation
Node 1: White Lion, Gorm
Node 2: Spidicules, screaming antelope, flower knight
Node 3: Dung beetle knight, Phoenix, dragon king, sun stalker
Node 4: ??? (possible the DBK?)
Node 5: Screaming god

unnoded: Nightmare ram


I don't think it says anywhere that the Screaming God is the only Node 5 monster, unless I misread something. It's just the only one that is confirmed as a Node 5, I'm guessing some of the old ones will probably show up there as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
sdobby wrote:
Slaaneth wrote:
It appears to be a bit flexible (for example you could take Gorm and White Lion). However you can only have one monster from node 5. So far only the screaming god. But what goes in node 4? and what will it be up against?

Speculation
Node 1: White Lion, Gorm
Node 2: Spidicules, screaming antelope, flower knight
Node 3: Dung beetle knight, Phoenix, dragon king, sun stalker
Node 4: ??? (possible the DBK?)
Node 5: Screaming god

unnoded: Nightmare ram


I don't think it says anywhere that the Screaming God is the only Node 5 monster, unless I misread something. It's just the only one that is confirmed as a Node 5, I'm guessing some of the old ones will probably show up there as well.


That is what I was saying. We know that the screaming god is node 5. However we don't know what else will be in that node. for all we know we might have to choose between the lion god and the screaming god. Heck the watcher might even be in node 5. we know nothing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dobby
msg tools
Slaaneth wrote:
sdobby wrote:
Slaaneth wrote:
It appears to be a bit flexible (for example you could take Gorm and White Lion). However you can only have one monster from node 5. So far only the screaming god. But what goes in node 4? and what will it be up against?

Speculation
Node 1: White Lion, Gorm
Node 2: Spidicules, screaming antelope, flower knight
Node 3: Dung beetle knight, Phoenix, dragon king, sun stalker
Node 4: ??? (possible the DBK?)
Node 5: Screaming god

unnoded: Nightmare ram


I don't think it says anywhere that the Screaming God is the only Node 5 monster, unless I misread something. It's just the only one that is confirmed as a Node 5, I'm guessing some of the old ones will probably show up there as well.


That is what I was saying. We know that the screaming god is node 5. However we don't know what else will be in that node. for all we know we might have to choose between the lion god and the screaming god. Heck the watcher might even be in node 5. we know nothing.


Ah gotcha, sorry I misread it then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't forget to add a Nemesis Node or two...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.