Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question from someone new to the game... The rules state that in order to defeat an Abomination, you need a damage 3 weapon. The one exception noted being Samson at red level using a damage 2 sword in conjunction with his +1 Damage melee skill.

What about Clovis at level 1 (+1 die: melee) duel wielding short swords? Unless I'm misreading the dual wielding rule, he'd roll 3 dice - one for his ability and 1 for each sword. If he hits on all of them, he'd get the 3 damage required to kill an Abomination.

Am I missing something, or is this valid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3 damage needs to come from one die. You need to be able to do a single hit that deals 3 damage; Clovis is dealing 3 hits that deal 1 each...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clarke

Ewloe
Flintshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't add up the strength of each hit, thus the 3 hits would not kill an abomination, nor would a strength 2 hit kill a fatty. This is explained onm pages 32 and 33 of the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Clovis at blue level wielding 2 short swords gets +1 die for each weapon, so that's 4 dice, not three - but all of his hits are strength 1, so he doesn't get to hurt fatties or abominations - the weapon itself has to be Strength 3 (or the hero has to has +1 Strength or Super Strength) for an abomination kill.

Edit: I answered first - I just delayed a bit before pressing the button!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the super fast responses! I misinterpreted page 14, the explanation of DAMAGE (where it says damage inflicted for each success) as you add the hits up. I now see the rule on pages 32/33.

I also just realized that in this case, if I were to score 3 hits with my attack I could kill 3 walkers at once.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
Clovis at blue level wielding 2 short swords gets +1 die for each weapon, so that's 4 dice, not three:whistle:

That's news to me - I thought it was only one die to the melee attack - not per weapon. My normal strategy is to give Clovis the hammer so he can roll two dice doing two damage each. I may need to rethink that plan, as giving him two short swords will give him 4 dice, and a chance to mow down a serious number of walkers!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is certainly correct. Just look at the wording of the skill:

Z:BP Rules wrote:
+1 die: Melee – The Survivor’s Melee weapons roll an extra
die for Melee Actions. Dual Melee weapons gain a die each,
for a total of +2 dice per Dual Melee Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
dakkadakka1 wrote:
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
Clovis at blue level wielding 2 short swords gets +1 die for each weapon, so that's 4 dice, not threewhistle

That's news to me - I thought it was only one die to the melee attack - not per weapon. My normal strategy is to give Clovis the hammer so he can roll two dice doing two damage each. I may need to rethink that plan, as giving him two short swords will give him 4 dice, and a chance to mow down a serious number of walkers!!

Even better? Give Clovis the first great sword that is drawn. 6 dice can cut down a lot of zombies. If he had two great swords he could roll 12 dice at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bghead8che wrote:
Even better? Give Clovis the first great sword that is drawn. 6 dice can cut down a lot of zombies. If he had two great swords he could roll 12 dice at a time.

Rolling 12 dice also requires taking Swordmaster. Clovis does have it at Orange level, but if you haven't uncovered two Great Swords by then, I think you're better off taking his free Melee action Skill instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian vdB
msg tools
What about giving him two daggers?
1 die + 1 die for an attack with another equipped weapon.
So, 4 dice for dual wielding the daggers and adding 2 dice because of it's melee skill.
6 dice hitting on a 4 is pretty nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that's correct. He's a Dagger master.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
Clovis at blue level wielding 2 short swords gets +1 die for each weapon, so that's 4 dice, not threewhistle

Besides the dual daggers for 6 dice, dual hammers for 4 s2 dice is also very nice.
Not to mention a great sword and dagger for 7 (?) Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
6 dice at 4+ is a lot better than 7 dice at 5+!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
6 dice at 4+ is a lot better than 7 dice at 5+!

I agree. Though dual hammers is still good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.