Subject: Moving goods within a plantation, Using up plantation tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauricio Arruga
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
My lack of English doesn't allow me to understand clearly the meaning of the following sentences (3rd paragraph under Operating Production Companies). I also haven't played Indonesia yet.

"Goods can be freely moved from an area to a neighboring area within a production zone, so it is no necessary for each area to be next to a ship. It is not possible to move goods to a city over land, not even if the production area is right to a city."

Can anyone explain me better? I undestand that an inland production zone can ship goods. If a city is adjacent to a production zone, it is needed a ship to deliver the goods. Is that right?

I also have an issue regarding the companies operation. When 1 good is shiped, shall I tunr-down 1 tile of this good from the production zone? If yes, when this tile is turned-up again? I'm asking that because I'm not sure if companies not expanded may deliver goods in further years, in this case, the benefit of expanding is to increase the company's size to block other companies and to have more adjacnet sea areas to ship it's goods. Or is there something else I'm missing?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Questions & Misundestantings
Mauricio, the way I try to explain it to new players is that a production company is all one big plantation - what the rules refer to as a "production zone". If any part of the planatation is on the coast, then all of that plantation's goods can be shipped out the sea area (or areas) for that coast. So, it sounds like you have that part of it right.

The second thing to remember is that goods must always go by ship. Doesn't matter if part of your plantation is next to a city - it still has to go by ship.

When you're operating your company, you must ship as many of that company's goods as you can - that's the rules, even if it might mean tracing a string of ships all the way across the board, and deliver at a loss (higher shipping costs than profit from the good). One way to keep track is to flip over the counters, as you ship the goods. But what the rules state is that the delivered goods have a face-down counter placed at the destination city. This counter comes from the supply - not from your plantation - because it's only used to keep track of deliveries.

Once you've played a few turns, it's easy enough to keep track of what you've shipped by putting face-down counters at the cities you've delivered to. Just make the piles of those goods you've shipped separate from the goods delivered by other people, and you can count around the board how many you've already shipped, which will tell you how many you still need to ship. As an alternative, you could do what you're suggesting, and flip over counters in your plantation as you ship, but always make sure you're also putting face-down goods counters at the cities, because you have to keep track of what demands for what cities have already been filled. (That is, you can't deliver rice to a level 2 city, if it already had 2 rice shipped to it.) If you do choose to flip over your own plantation's counters, just flip them back up, once you've delivered everything you can. (You'll probably decide it's too much trouble to be doing all this flipping up and flipping down, once your plantations get bigger. Again, just count what you've already delivered to cities.)

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
arruga wrote:
"Goods can be freely moved from an area to a neighboring area within a production zone, so it is no necessary for each area to be next to a ship. It is not possible to move goods to a city over land, not even if the production area is right to a city."

This means as long as any space in your production area is adjacent to a ship, all goods in the entire area can be delivered through that ship, including goods from landlocked spaces. Of course, the ship still needs the correct hull capacity.

Quote:
When 1 good is shiped, shall I tunr-down 1 tile of this good from the production zone?

No, you take an unused goods counter of the type you are shipping and place it face down next to the destination city. This reminds players how many goods of each type a city has received that year. This is important information because a size-one city can only receive one of each produced good per year, etc. If a city receives the maximum possible goods by the end of the year, it grows. The counters are removed at the start of the next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Arruga
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Thank you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Dewey
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
We play this differently.

We read "neighboring area" to mean neighboring area. That is you may move goods one time to a directly adjacent space within a production area. I still completley fail to understand how the move anywhere rule was derived from a sentence which speaks plainly about single movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Zbignew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Quote:
This means as long as any space in your production area is adjacent to a ship, all goods in the entire area can be delivered through that ship, including goods from landlocked spaces. Of course, the ship still needs the correct hull capacity.

Allowing free movement from one part of a plantation to another outside of the area of the map that the specific resource chit is in reduces shipping to almost insignificance and the game to mush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.