$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: [Movie Lovers Pizza] Films you probably like more than everyone else. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about it this morning while watching a film. I really liked the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I am not sure what about it really clicked with me, but I loved the adventure, the day dreaming, the wanting to experience the world outside of a desk, skateboarding in iceland, who knows...Just hit me right there(*pointing at the heart*). And I am not even a real fan of Ben Stiller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a sold, good movie that was under promoted. I saw it on Netflix streaming.

Also good not blockbuster feel good movies were...

"St. Vincent"
"Seeking a Friend for the End of the World"
"Hector and the Search for Happiness"
"Larry Crowne"

Edit: I forgot I wanted to mention "Secret Life..." left me felling sad and reflective in a good sort of way, but also smiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also liked Walter Mitty. It felt very different than the Danny Kaye version, which I remember as more of a comedy.

There's another Ben Stiller movie that I sometimes feel like I'm the only fan - Mystery Men. I remember the first time watching and thinking that it was a little too weird, but being totally into it by then end. Every time I've watched it since, I continue to appreciate it, particularly how it was able to spoof comic book movies before they were really super popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawk the Slayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
... I sometimes feel like I'm the only fan - Mystery Men.

I like that one too. Possibly though because I like Paul Rubin and thought Janeane Garofalo was oddly cute "back in the day".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hudson Hawk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My movie watching has drastically gone down the past few years as netflix lost its ability to get more than a handful of movies every so often. I have yet to watch "the secret life..." even though its the only ben stiller movie I've looked foreword to watching.

The one movie that comes to mind when I read your subject line was Hellboy 2. I saw it with a large group of friends and I seemed to be the only one who loved it, they all kinda shrugged it off. My theory is they just don't like being called the real bad guy. Whatever, its awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Brazil
Kafka
Dead Man
Infant of Macon (hell, almost any Greenaway)
Nosferatu
Eagle vs Shark
Superan II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:

Dead Man

I'll join that party of one. I LOVE esoteric oddball westerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen and enjoyed these films at least a dozen times each:

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
Johnny Stecchino (Italian w/ English subtitles, featuring Roberto Benigni)
Eating Raoul

Edit: One obscure one, that I wish I could own-- Perfectly Normal (1990)

Robbie Coltrane in a Canadian made comedy about a rec-league hockey player who works in drag as Norma, singing at opera-themed restaurant.
Bizzare and delightful all at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
Brazil
Kafka
Dead Man
Infant of Macon (hell, almost any Greenaway)
Nosferatu
Eagle vs Shark
Superan II
Is Brazil not that popular?

As to Nosferatu, which version?

And what about Shadow of the Vampire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mrs Parker and the Vicious Circle. Jennifer Jason Leigh plays Dorothy Parker superbly in this. With such a cheery subject, it's hard to understand why this wasn't a hit.

Punch-Drunk Love. I mentioned this in some other thread before. Love it, but not for everyone.

And this one probably doesn't count, but Barry Lyndon. Probably doesn't count because 1) it's Kubrick (not like he's some big unknown), and 2) many critics do consider it a masterpiece. This is one that I sometimes like to put on and just leave playing in the background (good visuals, not too obtrusive soundwise). Reminds me that I should add the Thackeray novel to my reading list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:

And this one probably doesn't count, but Barry Lyndon. Probably doesn't count because 1) it's Kubrick (not like he's some big unknown), and 2) many critics do consider it a masterpiece.

Ahh, this is a masterpiece. As a photo enthusiast, it was interesting to see that to capture the feel and reality of the period, he used a Carl Zeiss f/0.7 lens made for NASA to capture the extreme low light of the candle lit scenes. Which if you know f/0.7...drool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:

And this one probably doesn't count, but Barry Lyndon. Probably doesn't count because 1) it's Kubrick (not like he's some big unknown), and 2) many critics do consider it a masterpiece.

Ahh, this is a masterpiece. As a photo enthusiast, it was interesting to see that to capture the feel and reality of the period, he used a Carl Zeiss f/0.7 lens made for NASA to capture the extreme low light of the candle lit scenes. Which if you know f/0.7...drool.

I knew those scenes were naturally-lit (and how difficult that can be). I didn't realize the lenses were commissioned by NASA. Very cool. And hey, you apparently can rent one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:

I knew those scenes were naturally-lit (and how difficult that can be). I didn't realize the lenses were commissioned by NASA. Very cool. And hey, you apparently can rent one!

You have motivated me for my "working from home" day today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
mi_de wrote:

Dead Man

I'll join that party of one. I LOVE esoteric oddball westerns.

Ah...might get crowded; this is one of my top all time movies, too.

It contains Michael Wincott's best line ever, one I seem to have been repeating a lot this year, for...various reasons.shake

"Well...ain't we more fucked than a whore at closing time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Name is Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I will use that line continuously now. Thank you, Chit Chat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there is definitely a fan base for them, but I have never personally met anybody that likes Shaw Brother films more than I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
asutbone wrote:
... I sometimes feel like I'm the only fan - Mystery Men.

I like that one too. Possibly though because I like Paul Rubin and thought Janeane Garofalo was oddly cute "back in the day".

Another vote for Mystery Men, I think its great. Probably my favourite movie of William H Macy ("I shovel well. I shovel very well").

I've been known to drop a few pearls in wisom into conversations, like "We've got a blind date with destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

And yeah, I found Janeane pretty cute in it too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I like this movie more than anyone else

"Versus"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275773

Even tho I dont watch as much asian action/horror as I used to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm....we studied James Thurber in college English. His stuff is very interesting, although Walter Mitty was my least favorite of his stories.

Never seen Barry Lyndon!@! Need to rectify that!!

The Dorothy Parker one looks interesting; I might seek that out.

Right now, I think Paris, Texas is one of the lesser-known films that I enjoyed watching.

Can't think of anything else right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to go with The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Trouble in Little China
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buzz:
My name is Buzz. I got the fuzz,
I make the elevator do what she does.
Mr. Kline, up to nine.
Mrs. Dell, personnel.
Mr. Levin, thirty-seven.

Levin:
Thirty-six.

Buzz:
Walk down!

--------------------

Then watch Paul Newman being held upside-down out a 44-story window by the fabric of his pants. He has a flashback of telling the tailor not to pad the bill with double stitching.

--------------------

Best movie ever: The Hudsucker Proxy. (You know, for kids!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.