Jeff
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the problem with the GeekMarket is the guesswork of pricing; you've got a price history that's all over, and you have the prices that people currently AREN'T willing to pay as a guide (which sellers often erroneously use to determine the value of a game).

I think it would be neat if potential buyers were able to put in "offers" of prices they ARE willing to pay, which a seller could match, eliminating the guesswork. It would basically be the marketplace in reverse, but I think it would make things easier for both buyers and sellers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me we used to be able to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:

Yeah this used to be in the old marketplace and I'd love to see it come back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so much the "make an offer" function as a standing "I want this game and will buy it for $45" listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except you wouldn't. Or you would, then get into a hassle about condition, etc. etc. Would be rife with abuse potential, and would create nothing but hassles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McMurray

Chickopee
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
Part of the problem with the GeekMarket is the guesswork of pricing; you've got a price history that's all over, and you have the prices that people currently AREN'T willing to pay as a guide (which sellers often erroneously use to determine the value of a game).

I think it would be neat if potential buyers were able to put in "offers" of prices they ARE willing to pay, which a seller could match, eliminating the guesswork. It would basically be the marketplace in reverse, but I think it would make things easier for both buyers and sellers.

Interesting concept, but then isn't that what an auction does, but in a slightly more dynamic nature?

I have seen GL auctions or lists that have done the very thing that you suggest, but never follow up on it or track it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Just send the seller a friendly Geek Mail and ask if they would accept a lower offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Except you wouldn't. Or you would, then get into a hassle about condition, etc. etc. Would be rife with abuse potential, and would create nothing but hassles.

It'd be pretty easy to set a "minimum acceptable condition" flag or something. I buy plenty of stuff based on bare-bones marketplace listings. And the buyer would still have to confirm, just like a seller does. I don't think it would be quite as bad as you make it out to be.

As a seller, I'm looking for a way to find REAL demand at this moment. I do miss the make an offer function, but even that felt a bit presumptuous. The "take it or leave it" approach is so much more appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
hiimjosh wrote:
earache wrote:

Yeah this used to be in the old marketplace and I'd love to see it come back

It didn't work very well. Or rather, the functionality was fine but people didn't use it well - I'm not sure I ever actually completed a sale that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.