Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow.... just wow! wow

I was a pro trucker for 33+ years, and you'd be amazed how many times I saw loose wheels rolling, bounding, and otherwise careening down the interstate.... but fortunately only narrow escapes and no tragedies for the incidents that I witnessed!!

On a more amusing note, I hereby propose this image as a new avatar for MABBY....

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tired of it already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Tired of it already.
Already? Oh wait, it just hit me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Tired of it already.
Already? Oh wait, it just hit me.
Anybody who uses the phrase "on a roll" in a pun in this thread: I got it first. So there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Little did she realize the effect that closing the dumpster would have – the wheels that would be set in motion....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I couldn't see the man's hand fly off in the clip but he must have gotten one hell of a rug burn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it seems to have a very odd disappearing tire moment.I am thinking this may be a fake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
And it seems to have a very odd disappearing tire moment.I am thinking this may be a fake.

I'm not seeing that at all; it's rolling through light and shadow as it approaches, and then the impact and all the effects of that are totally realistic.

And since I *have* seen wheels come off trucks and roll loose like this, I have no doubts about this incident at all, just memories of similar incidents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I'm not seeing that at all; it's rolling through light and shadow as it approaches, and then the impact and all the effects of that are totally realistic.

And since I *have* seen wheels come off trucks and roll loose like this, I have no doubts about this incident at all, just memories of similar incidents.

Then look again, freeze it and see how whilst the top of the tire is invisible the top of the car is just very pale (grey scale), as in the hair of the car driver at the top.

It may be light and shade, but light and shade that makes a very dark object invisible, and a lighter object lighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-H9yE2P8Dg

Pause it at 0:06 and look at the tire, then 0:07, you will see the top of the tire is not visible, at all. Yet the top of the car is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Then look again, freeze it and see how whilst the top of the tire is invisible the top of the car is just very pale (grey scale), as in the hair of the car driver at the top.

It may be light and shade, but light and shade that makes a very dark object invisible, and a lighter object lighter.

Pause it at 0:06 and look at the tire, then 0:07, you will see the top of the tire is not visible, at all. Yet the top of the car is.

So you're thinking something *else* zipped through there, startled the gal, knocked the guys hand out of the path, shook the entire structure by impact, and damaged the car when it rebounded?

Knowing how common runaway wheels are even here in the US, where trucking regulations and standards are pretty high, I'm thinking there's a simple video glitch when a fairly low quality camera has a hard time tracking rapidly changing contrasts and light levels in a fast moving object.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

So you're thinking something *else* zipped through there, startled the gal, knocked the guys hand out of the path, shook the entire structure by impact, and damaged the car when it rebounded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Knowing how common runaway wheels are even here in the US, where trucking regulations and standards are pretty high, I'm thinking there's a simple video glitch when a fairly low quality camera has a hard time tracking rapidly changing contrasts and light levels in a fast moving object.
NO idea what happened (I was not there) just pointing out an oddity that makes no sense to me).

And if that tire had hit someones arm, would it not have broken it? IN fact the person just lean back into the car (and does not even seem to react).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

NO idea what happened (I was not there) just pointing out an oddity that makes no sense to me).

And if that tire had hit someones arm, would it not have broken it? IN fact the person just lean back into the car (and does not even seem to react).

I'm not here to quarrel, you're only seeing what you want to see and not seeing what's actually there. You don't know, in fact, that the man's hand was *not* broken, it's clearly knocked rapidly and violently out of the way. And you can't really see his continued reaction inside the vehicle either -- of course he recoils back into the car, he never saw the wheel coming, as the woman did just before it got there, and his first reaction is to pull back into the car after something strikes his arm. There's also a very brief glimpse when the awning flies up after impact and shades the windshield glass, and it looks as though the man is leaning away from the window. As far as him not reacting at all, what exactly do you expect him to do, apart from pulling back very quickly into the car after his arm is struck? He's in a confined space, may even be belted to the seat, so what exactly do you expect him to do, jump on top of the car and do the chicken dance?!? Something strikes his arm and he pulls quickly into the car, perhaps even leaning away from the window -- that's exactly the reaction I would expect, because in that fraction of a second, he simply has no idea what has happened.

I'll be disengaging from this thread now; I'm not on BGG to quarrel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I'm not here to quarrel, you're only seeing what you want to see and not seeing what's actually there. You don't know, in fact, that the man's hand was *not* broken, it's clearly knocked rapidly and violently out of the way. And you can't really see his continued reaction inside the vehicle either -- of course he recoils back into the car, he never saw the wheel coming, as the woman did just before it got there, and his first reaction is to pull back into the car after something strikes his arm. There's also a very brief glimpse when the awning flies up after impact and shades the windshield glass, and it looks as though the man is leaning away from the window. As far as him not reacting at all, what exactly do you expect him to do, apart from pulling back very quickly into the car after his arm is struck? He's in a confined space, may even be belted to the seat, so what exactly do you expect him to do, jump on top of the car and do the chicken dance?!? Something strikes his arm and he pulls quickly into the car, perhaps even leaning away from the window -- that's exactly the reaction I would expect, because in that fraction of a second, he simply has no idea what has happened.

I'll be disengaging from this thread now; I'm not on BGG to quarrel.
As you are not going to argue neither am I, we will have to agree to disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@slater - look at the gif (not so visible in the low res youtube) - when the tire falls it splashes the water in the little puddle. That bit cant be faked at the very least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chalker
United States
California
flag msg tools
that gif is the reason why I am always so anxious about everything. you just don't know when and what can happen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrustyJules wrote:
@slater - look at the gif (not so visible in the low res youtube) - when the tire falls it splashes the water in the little puddle. That bit cant be faked at the very least.
It also does not splash, or disturb the puddle.

And where has the cars wing mirror gone, devoured by the tire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does splash. Side view mirror not hit, so it's still on the car - the tire misses it. Does damage front left corner of the car as it comes down, which is evident as it falls. Also, driver's hand probably not badly injured; it's high enough as he's reaching to only take a glancing blow from the top of the tire.

...seriously, this isn't a conspiracy, folks.

(of course, maybe I'm one of them. Maybe that's what I want you to believe. Dance, puppets, dance!! Muahahahahahahahah! Oh, wait, probably should have just internalized that last bit and not typed it. Must remember to make a note of that...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
Does splash. Side view mirror not hit, so it's still on the car - the tire misses it. Does damage front left corner of the car as it comes down, which is evident as it falls. Also, driver's hand probably not badly injured; it's high enough as he's reaching to only take a glancing blow from the top of the tire.

(of course, maybe I'm one of them. Maybe that's what I want you to believe. Dance, puppets, dance!! Muahahahahahahahah! Oh, wait, probably should have just internalized that last bit and not typed it. Must remember to make a note of that...)
Fine, have it your way. I really fail to understand why this was made into such a huge issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

Fine, have it your way. I really fail to understand why this was made into such a huge issue.

But... that was you doing that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

But... that was you doing that!
In his defense, he didn't say it wasn't him who made it into a huge issue. He just doesn't understand why it was done, regardless of who did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

Tread carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, things were rapidly spinning up in here anyway, probably best I just retire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.