Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I realized to my horror yesterday that somehow, I'd ordered the species on the circle of life incorrectly when I was composing this game!

The order isn't arbitrary - it's based on a polyhex construction diagram and the species are *supposed* to be ordered by how difficult they are to build (the harder to build, the higher up on the food chain). However, I noticed the order wasn't right. This should only make any real difference at high-level play, but I'm a perfectionist so I can't let it go. Here's the *correct* board:

I still need to fix this in the rules, but won't have time for that until next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious; do you explain somewhere (my brief web-searching failed) how you define or determine the difficulty of building the various polyhexes? I can imagine there being various plausible formal definitions of "difficulty" which would give different orderings. (Or was it done by subjective judgment / empircal testing?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I'm curious; do you explain somewhere (my brief web-searching failed) how you define or determine the difficulty of building the various polyhexes? I can imagine there being various plausible formal definitions of "difficulty" which would give different orderings. (Or was it done by subjective judgment / empircal testing?)

I don't have any place where I've discussed it in detail, but we had a brief discussion about it here today (during which Luis pointed out there's another error I hadn't spotted...sheesh. It's not an easy game to design)

At some point i'm going to write a document detailing the construction. but not for a while

it has to do with "degrees of freedom in building" different polyhexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.