New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say my ship is about to take 3 damage and I have 2 upgrades. Can I draw 1 damage card, and then decide if I want to draw another damage card or exhaust an upgrade, or do I decide all at once what to do with that 3 damage? I'm assuming all at once, just for speed of play.

Also, if I have the "Fearless" upgrade on my support ship (the one that allows the support ship to take a damage), can I see the damage card, and then decide which ship takes the damage? I'm assuming that you must decide before seeing the card, for speed of play.

Also, if a Captain's Log entry causes damage (i.e. "take 1 damage"), but doesn't specify "flagship," is it assumed that the flagship must take it, or is it either of your ships in the region? I'm assuming flagship.

If damage from the Captain's Log effect causes your ship to sink, do you still resolve the encounter fully? Since you're already reading the Captain's Log and resolving the effect, I'm assuming your ship can sink but you still resolve it fully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions. I have wondered about many of these myself.

One more. If you have the observatory and need to take 2 damage. Can you look at one card and then assign it.. look at another and decide you don't like it and spend a fortune token instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spriggster wrote:
Good questions. I have wondered about many of these myself.

One more. If you have the observatory and need to take 2 damage. Can you look at one card and then assign it.. look at another and decide you don't like it and spend a fortune token instead?

You definitely can't spend a fortune token after starting to resolve damage. Resolving damage is a later step.

Also, you definitely finish reading Captain's Booke entries if the entry causes your ship to sink (and then your turn ends). I believe this is explained in the inside front cover of the Booke, if not it's in the unoffical FAQ. It may also specify whether the flagship has to take the damage (I don't recall offhand, I sort of assumed the damage had to go on the flagship).

I don't think there are official answers to the other questions. I would suggest playing it however your group wants to handle it, as long as you are consistent within each game. (If you decide to change between games I don't think it will cause problems).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Alvarez
msg tools
I would also like to know if a captain's log entry does damage on a flagship or if you can choose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Styyx wrote:
I would also like to know if a captain's log entry does damage on a flagship or if you can choose

Well, the first sentence under the "Damage" section in the rulebook is
Quote:
Damage is always applied to the flagship in an endeavor

and I can't find any exceptions aside from the Fearless upgrade that I've seen so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take: You choose a flagship for the endeavor. All damage during the endeavor is applied to the flagship, unless otherwise specified (for example, there's a starting upgrade that lets you shift damage to a support ship). Once the endeavor is determined to be successful (one or more success and survival on the endeavor roll), the Captain's Booke establishes any additional results of the endeavor, assuming it was successful. Those results are still part of the endeavor -- and therefore if there is additional damage, it would also apply to your flagship. However, that bonus damage doesn't affect the success of the endeavor, and you still receive any awards your support ship can carry, even if your flagship sinks as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.