Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Clay
United States
Jacksonville
AR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to see a game with such good promise dying due to a poorly planned Kickstarter campaign but that's exactly what's happening. Question is: Why?

The main problem is there was no incentive to add more money to the campaign after the initial game pledge. $65 gets you an Early Bird with mostly everything that you need to play. We find out in the game play video that although there are minis for the main characters the bad guys are represented by cardboard tokens. No problem, I'm sure there's a deluxe version that I can pledge more for to get everything, right? No, for more money you can get...a book. Maybe a comic book. And look, for even more money here's a patch.

Listen, the books may be wonderful but this is the Tabletop Gaming section of kickstarter. Look at other similar KS games such as Star Saga or BattleStations. What were their incentives to pledge more? Expansions, more minis, dice, etc. Things that were GAME related.

These issues were raised by backers several times to which the creator responded he didn't want to mess with the accounting or the minis weren't ready yet. It sounds like this game just wasn't ready for a Kickstarter campaign.

If you don't want to do what other successful campaigns have done to succeed then don't expect to get the same results. A lot of blame has gone to Kingdom Death Monster coming on board and siphoning away backers but other games have still funded successfully during this period. It's a shame that more thought was not given to how successful campaigns work before tossing this out there because it seems to have the potential to be a really good game.

TLDR: If you ignore successful Kickstarter tactics of other games don't expect to replicate their results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some campaigns have done fine without much for add-ons; Xia: Legends of a Drift System and Middara both hit 350K with just a base set and one add-on option.

The designer mentioned spending a lot on advertising (I saw an ad for Destiny Aurora on FB), but doesn't seem to have given much thought to getting fan backing and support, getting review copies out early or anything like that. I haven't seen this on any of the big convention lists.

Now that the add-ons have been put up they are...kinda pricey, to put it mildly. To get the base game and all the add-ons is close to $300; the SoB Forbidden Fortress KS was that price for a lot more minis from a company with an established product and track record. The figures look nice, but I'm not sure a lot of those spars and thin pieces on the fighter ships will actually work out.

I agree, this seems like kind of a botched launch, which is a shame because the game looks interesting and a bit different from some of the standard mini-game fare. I like the idea of having crew that move between the ships and ground and having both the planetary and ship action at the same time. The mix of having both pvp teams and neutral NPCs that are out to get everyone is an interesting change of pace. Looks like there's some nice variety in the characters and items. The stealth rules provide a different way to approach problems than just blasting through them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rewards for the higher tiers just aren't interesting or enticing. A silver and a gold badge? A patch? Seriously? More game content is what's needed to attract higher pledges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For my part, the game looks to me like it needs at least another year of development and playtesting before going into production. Some nice ideas, excellent art, but the gameplay looks a bit thin to me, particularly the space board, which doesn't make much sense to me. What is the scale? Is this all one solar system? I couldn't get a sense of there being a decent game and so I decided not to pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey madscientist
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I recently dropped out of my early bird because of a few reasons.

1. The game looks neat, but the more I watched that video (the one actually in focus) the more I questioned how much game was actually in there.

2. I started to feel like the book run was the thing that was more on their minds than the game. I wasn't interested in the books, so that didn't appeal to me at all.

3. I started to lose confidence in the campaign and their ability to produce. After being bitten by a few KS lemon's I get pretty nervous when I can't see that the creators are particularly invested in it themselves. Between the blurry gameplay video, and other superficial things I just got sketched out to a degree.

I really wanted to like it and see it succeed. Maybe it will and I can buy it after the campaign is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that the creator should have prepared better.
1) Write some updates in advance or reserve time to run a Kickstarter campaign.
2) He didn't quite know how add-ons and BackerKit works in "standard" Kickstarter campaigns. Need better to study or gain experience backing other campaigns how these things work.
3) Choosing a better time to run the campaign (January or February 2017?). It may be difficult if one doesn't follow what big campaigns are coming into Kickstarter, but 3 high profile campaigns at the same time is not good. However, this is easy to say afterwards.
4) If using money for marketing, having (p)reviews on launch should be important. This is especially true for first time board game creators. Big companies don't do these (and it sometimes result to bad games...).

Anyway does anyone have thoughts regarding rulebook or its structure? Is playing the game fiddly or smooth in your opinion? I have to admit that I kinda have a similar feeling as Gabriel that the game may not be play tested enough especially if it's up to UndeadViking to do blind play testing (edit: his review video is up, going to take a look). The game still might be good though. It definitely has a promising concept, but if we don't unlock Xea'Lana, I will maybe get this from retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
Admittedly there hasn't been enough exposure for this game from the outset of the Kickstarter, with only 5 days to go I suspect that Undead Viking is the the only one who has given this game a review (positive one at that).

The creator of this game could give a Late Pledge option after the Kickstarter is over and then focus time on promoting the game from end of KS to KS shipping date to customers to entice more buyers.

I for one like the look of this game, thematically it's not too dissimilar from 1980s video game Shadowfire from Beyond Software which was cool, so I'm backing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
dfernand wrote:
I for one like the look of this game, thematically it's not too dissimilar from 1980s video game Shadowfire from Beyond Software which was cool
That was a wicked game, but it kept on crashing which made completing it a bit difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
7 Hours to go!

I kept my pledge. Will have to add the minis in PM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clay
United States
Jacksonville
AR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artistix wrote:
7 Hours to go!

I kept my pledge. Will have to add the minis in PM.

I honestly hope they have a strong finish. Looks like they tried to make corrections in the last 7 days of the campaign but it's going to be hard to recover from several days of negative pledges. (http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1169263915/destiny-aurora-r...)

I'm tempted to back but without a lot of stretch goals reached I'm afraid the price tag of over $200 for the base and minis to replace the standees/tokens in the box is just a bit too much for me. I'll definitely be watching for this game once it's released and see how the price settles out in the market place. It seems that you're getting a fun game. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will wait the next campaign and perhaps then invest into game system. At that point I know what reception the game will have. If the unlicked stretchgoals had have Princess and card expansion (not needing anything else), I would have kept my pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting miniatures for all chits is +$140! That is a huge price hit.

I am debating that now.

Shipping for the addon cards is $3.50. I was going to do that, but $15.50 for 12 cards? A bit too pricey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.