Subject: Leetown Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claude Whalen
United States
Sewickley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I am playing this scenario slowly due to other demands on my time but I have some quick thoughts :

Early on in the game, CSA forces crushed Union troops at the Wiley Foster House (some good rolls helped them). By turn #3 though, the CSA had gotten into a huge traffic jam due to the woods along the roads (cavalry and artillery movement restrictions). I suspect that I will dismount my cavalry in the next replay.

Osterhaus got wounded on the second chit pull of the first turn and that has really hurt the Union forces. Herbert-A was able to set up a strong attack on the 1 vp crossroads, due to Gruesel's immobility. The attack disrupted Gruesel/Hoffman and took the intersection with ease.

I suspect that I am being too timid with my fragile units as the Cherokee troops are staring at the Union fragile units (Bussey) west of Lee's Cornfield (both are afraid to attack).

Talk about odd chit pulls, I pulled the "Fortune of War" chit and then pulled the "Fog of War" chit TWICE (turns #2 and #3)!

This has been a great game which is playing much differently than "Stonewall's Sword". I thought that I would be able to dive right in since I have replayed "SS" so many times but I am finding that the fragile units and extensive cavalry units have made this game quite differently strategically.

I spent my money well on this one (and yes, my wife doesn't get a vote on this comment - she has enough shoes)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Claude!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Whalen
United States
Sewickley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My slow playing of this scenario is finally finished and the CSA continued to push the Union forces all over the map. Osterhaus' loss turned out to be a real problem as his replacement had problems moving the Brigade, which led to its crushing defeat.

At the end of the scenario, Pattison/Ellis held around hex #1312. The 5thMO held hex #1614, the 3rdLA took hex #1914 and the 14thAK actually crossed Lee Creek turning the Union right flank.

Though I did NOT try to have the CSA win by having the Union make stupid intentional moves, the CSA won by 31 victory points and did not have a single unit on the broken track. I have a few thoughts on why this happened:

The chits pulls (not the wording on the chits) seemed to favor the CSA strongly. Besides Osterhaus getting killed on the second chit drawn in the game, I also had two "Union Wayward Move" rolls caused by the "Fog of War" chit. Those two moves by Gruesel units allowed the CSA forces to cripple those units. With Osterhaus out of the game, his replacement failed his activation rolls (both times) and so the two Gruesel units were sitting ducks for the follow up CSA attacks, which sent them to the broken track. All this bad Union luck led to a fairly easy capture of Leetown.

I also had a third odd chit pull sequence, in which the "Fortune of War" chit was pulled and then the "Fog of War" chit was pulled next (and was ignored). Out of the nine times that the "Fog of War" chit was in the draw cup; three were cancelled out, three seriously hurt the Union, and the other three were no effect general casualties due to the follow up dice rolls. In other words, the "Fog of War" chit never hurt the CSA but it hammered the Union side.

Finally, my use of the Union reinforcements was poor. As the Union forces were hard pressed in two areas, I split those reinforcements as the entered the game and sent them to both areas (Ellis/Pattison went to Leetown and eventually got pushed back while White went off to his destruction at Lee Creek). The move only delayed the inevitable, due to the strongly tilted chit/dice rolls (not the game's fault, just the CSA had all the luck). I probably would have been better off just sending all the troops to Leetown but then who would have expected Gruesel to get a second wayward move chit/roll (which finished him as an effective fighting force)?

The end result was a "Dream Battle For Van Dorn". The chances of this scenario playing out this way again seems slim but it was quite a learning experience and the Union will certainly fight differently next time. Not having a great amount of knowledge about this battle allows me to fight it my way; the results were unexpected but great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write-up Claude - I had a different solo result as the Union earned a +11 VP triumph.

Early on, it looked like the Rebels were going to steamroll over the bluecoats, but rugged terrain and command difficulties slowed them down.

The Union made a surprising early stand at Foster's farm before the weight of Confederate numbers pushed them back. The Rebels had trouble getting McIntosh's mounted brigade into the battle, and when they did Union canister and rifle fire shattered the brigade. By the time McIntosh regrouped and received effective command, it wasn't until the end game.

The Union scored 7 points from their forward VP hexes, and then their reinforcements arrived just in time to stem the Confederate tide. The Rebels tried to push through Morgan's Woods, but White's brigade repulsed them with heavy losses.

On the final turn, the Federals issued two devastating volleys (rolled back-to-back 65's) which broke 16 SP worth of Rebel troops. The Confederates weren't able to remain adjacent to the 3 VP crossroads hex north of Leetown where they planned to use a 'Rebel Yell!' held chit, so that was that.

There were no leader casualties, and overall luck evened out for both sides.

What a great (very tense) little scenario, and a perfect introduction to the system - outstanding work, gentlemen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.