Subject: Pathfinder System Status? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... FFG stopped producing Tannhäuser products awhile ago and it seems that Pathfinder System didn't make it way to other games. I am curious about the reason why this elegant system collects dust right now. Also, I heard that FFG holds a patent for this mechanic but I failed to find any information about it. Is that true?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, recent court cases have proven that you can't patent game mechanics.

I too would love to see the Pathfinder system used in another game. Is to good to be left gathering dust in the archives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octarine8 wrote:
If I recall correctly, recent court cases have proven that you can't patent game mechanics.

Hm, can you elaborate on this? From what I know Pathfinder System can be treated as a graphical UI element with distinct properties, similar to Game Workshop's Scatter Dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pathfinder system would make a really cool alternative for the skirmish mode in Imperial Assault (but my brain kind of automatically goes to Star Wars for alternative game ideas). You could use the path system while keeping most of the IA rules intact, I'd imagine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silencewalker wrote:
Octarine8 wrote:

Hm, can you elaborate on this? From what I know Pathfinder System can be treated as a graphical UI element with distinct properties, similar to Game Workshop's Scatter Dice.

This is the decision I was referring to: Texas Court Affirms Game Mechanics Not Protected Under Copyright Law

However, as you pointed out, an argument could definitely be made that the Pathfinder System is a unique graphical element. However, I think how the courts would rule is uncertain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.