$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the heated and lively discussions when they changed the interface and layout for when you bring up an individual game entry. Some liked it. Others hated it. Many in between. Some went so far as to say they won't donate to BGG.com this year, or were thinking about it. Now that BGG is doing their end-of-the-year pledge drive, I'm wondering just how many people are putting their money where their mouths are is all

Poll: Did changes changes to the site's game entry affect your donation status?
Poll originally here...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1682329/how-many-you-ar...
0. How did you feel about the site's changes thus far?
Love it
Like it
Neutral
Don't like it
Hate it
1. How did you feel about the site's changes thus far?
  Love it Like it Neutral Don't like it Hate it
as a Desktop user
as a Laptop user
as a Tablet user
as a Mobile phone user
2. Will you donate to BGG.com this year?
  More than usual The same Less than usual, but still some Nothing
as a Desktop user
as a Laptop user
as a Tablet user
as a Mobile phone user
3. Were you going to donate to BGG.com anyways?
  Yes No
as a Desktop user
as a Laptop user
as a Tablet user
as a Mobile phone user
4. Did the site's changes influence your decision to donate?
  Yes Somewhat No
as a Desktop user
as a Laptop user
as a Tablet user
as a Mobile phone user
      725 answers
Poll created by ackmondual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: how many of you are disappointed enough about the new layout and changes to game entries to reduce or NOT donate?
Wouldn't they be taking the money away from where their mouth is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: how many of you are disappointed enough about the new layout and changes to game entries to reduce or NOT donate?
I at first did not like it but it has grown on me, i cant remeber what the old one looked like now. I will still will donate.

1 page design is not a hurdle for support based on how much more this site provides. So yea im not putting my money where my mouth is, I am putting it where my hearts at, something that I enjoy.. BGG!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I'd assume that they'd left their mouths in 2002.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still disappointed enough not to donate this year. The changes of layout are primary cause for me not to visit BGG like I used to . Sad to say... but, for me BGG isn't users friendly anymore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
How many are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably wouldn't have donated anyway -- because I still object to the extremely overzealous moderation (even speaking as someone who's never even been moderated); but - in general, I dislike someone else deciding what is and isn't suitable for me to read.

Had they changed the design into something that permitted more customization (or even dignified my request to separate out sessions and reviews from all the other threads in the universal browser/recent additions), I might've actually been convinced to do so -- instead, the older days where the *user* was important are long, long gone (something I predicted quite a few years ago, once BGG stopped being a "hobby" and became a "career.") That's fine -- resources need to be put in specific places, I guess; but, I don't have to like it, or support it financially

And, I'm not sure why you separated out "desktop" and "laptop" -- I think they're functionally the same user base. I DO think there's a difference between tablets and phones, obviously; but I think desktop/laptop are the same, for this purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, Skutchinson must have fallen asleep near some pods and pooped out a AckAckBilltheCat.... fucking polls and endless questions - like the Stazi w/o the battery leads on the soft-parts.

Anyway, I use the site for the same purposes post-redez, so I am all for donating in 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
And, I'm not sure why you separated out "desktop" and "laptop" -- I think they're functionally the same user base. I DO think there's a difference between tablets and phones, obviously; but I think desktop/laptop are the same, for this purpose.

The difference between a 13-17" laptop screen and a 21-30" desktop screen is significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
Lemur wrote:

The difference between a 13-17" laptop screen and a 21-30" desktop screen is significant.

Fair enough.

I use my 'desktop' mainly as a server only, so it has a 15" screen (whereas my laptop is 17.3") -- but you're right; there certainly are people with larger screens.

Carry on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mb
I am not a fan of the new UI, but BGG is still an indispensable service for me, so I will be donating as I do every year.

I can't think of a day without BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
First off, Skutchinson must have fallen asleep near some pods and pooped out a AckAckBilltheCat.... fucking polls and endless questions - like the Stazi w/o the battery leads on the soft-parts.
Yes. Short bad polls are much better than long bad polls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:

Ew! No one wants money that's covered with saliva!

My main problem with the new layout is that they haven't finished it yet. One format for all pages would be easier to deal with than one format for the front page and forums, and a different one for game pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Invisible polls would be the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Orph wrote:

Ew! No one wants money that's covered with saliva!

My main problem with the new layout is that they haven't finished it yet. One format for all pages would be easier to deal with than one format for the front page and forums, and a different one for game pages.

Well, to their credit BGG staff has never claimed they are particularily good at managing the redesign. Or the site. Or themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Feel free to start one yourself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

I wouldn't mind good polls. Unfortunately, I can't help but notice how poorly made most polls are because I used to do data analysis on research and dealt with a lot of them. It's no surprise that polls on BGG are bad because even a lot of people who do research professionally often make bad polls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestion!

ackmondual wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Feel free to start one yourself

Poll
1. Should polls submitted to BGG be vetted by trained professionals or volunteers before posting, similar to the Geekmodding process?
Yes
No
2. Should BGG users have a quota of polls they are allowed to submit in a calendar year?
Yes
No
3. If a quota were to be implemented, what would you consider a good per annum quota of polls that could be posted and approved, per user (assumes geekmodding process)?
1-3
4-6
7-10
11-20
Unlimited
      181 answers
Poll created by darthhugo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
yaverot wrote:
Lemur wrote:

Fair enough.

I use my 'desktop' mainly as a server only, so it has a 15" screen (whereas my laptop is 17.3") -- but you're right; there certainly are people with larger screens.

Carry on
It's not just the larger screen... with a desktop, you have a full mouse, full keyboard, and things are more ergonomic for you. While I was thinking if this was "splitting hairs", I'd have to admit that if I had to spend extended time on BGG or otherwise in front of a computer, I'd rather it be a desktop. FWIW, if someone uses a docking station for their laptop, I would consider that to be a "desktop setup" now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Lemur wrote:
yaverot wrote:
Lemur wrote:

Fair enough.

Carry on
It's not just the larger screen... with a desktop, you have a full mouse, full keyboard, and things are more ergonomic for you. While I was thinking if this was "splitting hairs", I'd have to admit that if I had to spend extended time on BGG or otherwise in front of a computer, I'd rather it be a desktop. FWIW, if someone uses a docking station for their laptop, I would consider that to be a "desktop setup" now.

I have a laptop - with a wireless mouse, mousepad, full keyboard (including number setup) - not a docking station .... so, to me, yeah, desktop/laptop were interchangeable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carduner
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Get blitzed! Play World in Flames!
mbmbmbmbmb
After an 8 year absence, it all looks the same to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanC wrote:
After an 8 year absence, it all looks the same to me...

I guess you haven't gone to a game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray R.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been increasing my pledge a bit every year, but this year I reduced it. Not so much because of the redesign itself, but because of the way the people who had dissenting opinions were treated and summarily dismissed as "haters" and "afraid of change".

There were a lot of things the old UI did better, whether you liked the look of it or not.

I'm hoping some of my donation goes to improving the collection management UI/UX.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rayr wrote:
I've been increasing my pledge a bit every year, but this year I reduced it. Not so much because of the redesign itself, but because of the way the people who had dissenting opinions were treated and summarily dismissed as "haters" and "afraid of change".

FWIW I only saw that treatment done by a few BGG users, not by BGG admins/owners/programmers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
rayr wrote:

FWIW I only saw that treatment done by a few BGG users, not by BGG admins/owners/programmers.

Yeah, for better or worse BGG admins haven't communicated much about the redesign directly. They could probably use some internal communication enhancements and a community manager, at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.