$35.00
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to see if this game is the right fit for our gaming group. We love Shadows of Brimstone, esp the rpg-lite leveling up your characters as you go along. Folklore seems a lot more story-driven than SoB, which is a huge plus, but seems less dungeon crawler, more "choose your own adventure" style... And I'm confused on how leveling up works. Is it more like Descent, where you gain a certain amount of xp after missions or is it like SoB, where you gain xp from each enemy killed? Or is different than both and if so, how?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we have only seen an early beta rulebook at this point so I'm sure plenty has changed.

At the time:

Each character had two different "paths" to choose from when they reached a certain point. Characters earn Lore (XP) while adventuring, but we haven't seen how those rewards happen yet. As you earn or lose lore, new bonuses are gained based on your skill tree.

This game has a choose your own adventure aspect to it, but it also has overland travel adventures, quick encounters and a tile based dungeon crawler aspect. It really appears to be an RPG-lite game with no GM required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention that there were rules listed on how to add a new player character to an existing campaign in progress. Basically giving them bonus starting Lore, items, artifacts and coins to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah okay, so Lore = xp, interesting. The traveling on the map sounds fun. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:
I'm trying to see if this game is the right fit for our gaming group. We love Shadows of Brimstone, esp the rpg-lite leveling up your characters as you go along. Folklore seems a lot more story-driven than SoB, which is a huge plus, but seems less dungeon crawler, more "choose your own adventure" style... And I'm confused on how leveling up works. Is it more like Descent, where you gain a certain amount of xp after missions or is it like SoB, where you gain xp from each enemy killed? Or is different than both and if so, how?

Thanks!

you get lore(xp) from defeating creatures in encounters, skirmishes, and affliction battles(boss fights). These will be paired with a coins(purchase gear, stay at an inn, remove a curse, pay a bandit to avoid a fight, etc..). Each creature/affliction has a lore/coin reward for defeating them, and this is gained after each combat. You can also get Lore/coins from world map events, story moments form the story journal, and a few other instances.

to cash in your Lore you have to go to the Church of the Crossroads, where you can purchase new abilities and update your character sheet. Their aren't levels per say in the game, but in your lore tree, you have 1 of 2 choices to make for each lore milestone, some of these choices are dependent on the character path you chose at game start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh cool! I definitely prefer the instant gratification of defeating a monster and getting rewards immediately over the Descent method. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.