6 Posts

The Others» Forums » General

Subject: How do you base your models? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Persson
Denmark
flag msg tools
Just something that I thought about recently. I have played a lot of miniature wargames, but have never played a board game with miniatures that you had to paint yourself. How do you make anything but a bland base when the model comes pre attached?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some players cut the figure away from the base and then re-base them. I personally am just painting these figures on the supplied bases and then giving them a simple grey base with a coloured edge to match their "class". Since the action takes place in an urban environment it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was initially thinking rebasing on clear acrylic, but then played a game where someone just painted the bases black and actually thought they looked good during the game, so leaning towards sticking with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Duerksen
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the look of the clear acrylic bases, but don't want to take the time to re-base these. What I've done for Zombicide, and what I'll likely do for this, is base them with a layer of sand paste to give the base some texture, then paint that dark grey, and drybrush it with a lighter shade of grey and some dark brown. End result does a good job of giving the bases a little extra flavor that fits with the model, and still blends in decently well with the tiles regardless of where the figures are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esqulax wrote:
Just something that I thought about recently. I have played a lot of miniature wargames, but have never played a board game with miniatures that you had to paint yourself. How do you make anything but a bland base when the model comes pre attached?

I'm not sure what you do to make the minis you play with pop, but miniature wargamer is usually at least partially synonymous with "conversion capable". As those above have said, cutting figures off the bases is one way to go about it.

My favorite look at the moment is a couple slapped-on pieces of Apoxie Sculpt, which I pull across the base and kind of distress with a sculpting blade. I was trying to recreate the look of the old Hybrid miniatures' official basing scheme, and seems to match up pretty well... better with Pro-Create.

Simple bases painted black for baddies, maybe given a colored ring matching their "color" for the actual sin monsters, and rings matching the heroes' class is the quick and easy method. In a boardgame, the clear bases can look nice, but they actually bug me because they can get a little lost on the table. They also lose the cohesive look you can give with unified basing schemes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I do different bases for different games. The clear acrylic bases are awesome, and not too difficult to do. They look really nice on the board. The reason I didn't do them for this game, though, is 2 fold. First, the larger miniatures are really hard to get off cleanly, and I'm not willing to take the time to whittle the bases away to get them off (for just the people standing there, you can cut the feet off pretty easily, but for the big creatures and the ones kind of dragging their bodies, it's just too much of a pain). I also like that I can put a small magnet under the current bases, and I put some metal sheets inside the boxes, so the figures stay put when moving them around.

For the set I painted to sell, I glued some sand onto the base, then painted a dark grey, and drybrushed a light grey and white. They looked like asphalt, more or less. I just purchased some citadel basing paint that has sand in it already, which I'm hoping will save me a few steps.

Just the black bases also works really well, since it's a board game and all that. I also like to make sure to paint the rims of the figures appropriately, so the heroes get the right color, the acolytes are brown, controller is black, abominations are grey, and hell club is red.

Here's a couple that I did for The Others with textured bases, and some older zombicide with clear bases as examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.