Subject: Enemy Phase Observation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Hargis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it a bit odd that during the Enemy Phase the monsters basically get an auto hit. No kind of skill check on their part for their attack.

Just my two cents.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I agree and I've thought about adding a House Rule that they have to draw from the chaos bag just like we do.

Of course we would need to come up with what happens when they draw a skull, tablet or cultist token.

I suppose they could still trigger the scenario rules and the bad thing triggers no matter what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Think its nice, since it keeps the complexity down. And makes the enemies as threatening as they should be in a lovecraft game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Loyens
msg tools
I think it makes sense thematically. During your investigator phase you have the option to fight or to evade an engaged monster as an action. If you fail to evade a monster as an action during your turn, it stands to reason that it will hit you.

The amount of skill/coordination required to strike something is pretty minimal. The skill check should be a positive obligation on the investigator to evade an incoming attack, which I would argue, is the way it plays out in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I'd guess that the reason it's unavoidable is both for tension (a known consequence) and to give you a goal to achieve / penalty to avoid, to insert a surprise objective into your wider plans. Typically, you draw the enemy, then you have three actions to handle it or otherwise prep for taking some damage. The game's driven by a long-term objective and consequence (act and agenda), then this progression is given texture each turn via the little short-term immediate objectives (or unexpected alterations to your situation) from the encounter deck. I think having the damage dealt be fixed in value and acting according to predictable rules and timing offers the player a more stable board-state for them to puzzle over -- here's the damage, here's my health, I have these cards in this location, so can I figure this out? It gives the 'thinking' part of the game more weight, where a bunch more effects driven by chance would keep things slippery (the randomness of the encounter deck and the uncertainty of the chaos bag is already plenty, surely). The game doesn't need to give any more agency to RNG, and as a card game it's important for the game to have deliberations that matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts;
During your turn you missed the chance to be random. No more random time - enemy has hit you.

Thematically I'm okay with this.
-Car failed to start, you can't evade.
-Your gun misfired, enemy is still on top of you ready to swipe at your flesh.
The end result you are swiped across the arm with a laceration awaiting the next round of play.

Game Experience:
I think the game has just enough complexity as is. I'm okay with a static damage element. Any thing else would have made the game more laborious. Which is something I slightly already find too tedious (locations???)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading somewhere that Evade can represent many things thematically, including an enemy simply trying to hit you and missing, which then makes the auto hit in the Enemy phase understandable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, but I guess there will be more ways and options in the future to avoid and/or defend(Dodge #23). Maybe even specific "guard" keyword/asset type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the "lightning bolt" and "response" abilities are usable in the Monster phase. Some of them allow you to avoid damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Sparks
msg tools
mbmbmb
You have three or more actions in your turn to exhaust, avoid, mitigate or kill the enemy. I think that's not only sufficient but encourages a more thoughtful approach than simply hoping the enemy makes a few bad draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyhargis wrote:
during the Enemy Phase the monsters basically get an auto hit. No kind of skill check on their part for their attack.

I consider that thematically it's all happening fluidly and fast, and you get:
3 chances to hit them, followed by their autohit response, OR
2 chances to hit them, one chance to negate their response (Evade), and possibly their response (if evade was successful), OR
1 chances to hit them, 2 chances to evade, OR
3 chances to evade.

Given the above possibilities, EVADE is effectively the equivalent of the monster drawing from the chaos bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works fine, I would have perhaps hoped each enemy was limited to one attack of opportunity per player though. As right now most of the time you never will want to trigger them more than once because it is just too much damage (and usually you will do so to just play a weapon)

Would have opened more strategy options for trying to ignore enemies, right now you have to attack or evade them or lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.