Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you use them in your house?

When I was a kid, every third day in December (I had two younger siblings) I would run into the kitchen at 7:30am to open the cardboard door and get my lousy piece of Christmas-themed moulded milk chocolate.
It was what made life worth living!
You had to search for your door-- #1 wasn't right beside #2, it could be between #9 and #22!

In later years, my mom bought a cloth version, with little pockets in it, and she would put old Hallowe'en candy into the pockets for us. Rip-off!
But there was still candy every third day, so there wasn't too much complaining...

I bought a couple of commercially available ones for my own daughter when she was small-- the chocolate pieces were smaller and more waxy than ever.
She enjoyed the concept but it never really thrilled her, like it did me when I was her age.

Last year I bought myself a microbrew Beer advent calendar, on December 18th. The liquor stores had slashed the price over 40% on them, to $140. ($250 if you bought them December 1st or before).
24 full-sized beer bottles (and a few cans), from all over the USA and Canada, though. Only about 3 of them were truly bad. It was enjoyable, although I didn't mark the passing of the days with one beer each day at that point. I was still opening and drinking in January.

Yesterday, I saw a Whisky advent calendar in a liquor store. 24- 120ml (4oz.) bottles from all over the world.
A mere $850 (plus 5% sales tax). whistle
I get the feeling that they won't be selling a bunch of those there. The average is $35 for 4 ounces at that rate. Wow.
Although I think the one on the 24th is a touch bigger-- maybe 6 ounces.

Do you have any specialty advent calendars that you have bought and enjoyed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My brother-in-law has this.

It's a pork scratchings advent calendar.

Note that there are only 6 different flavours of pork scratchings included but then the fact that there are different flavours of pork scratchings came as a surprise to me anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife just made a quilted Advent calendar for the grandkids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a parent, I will admit that the cloth/ quilted ones are so much more cost-effective.
And you can personalize the contents/ upgrade the quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I loved loved loved our felt advent calendar we had when I was growing up. A Christmas tree with pouches below it with little ornaments my siblings would take turns each morning putting on the tree. Homemade by my mother.

These days we get the lego calendar which is fun in its own way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love a beer advent calendar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's sister made advent calendars for all the family members many years ago. She made it from cloth and put Velcro on the back of all the items that are stored in pockets below a cloth Christmas tree where you can stick the items. It's very nicely done. She also personalized all of them, so that Sheryl has a unique item (a TV, since she worked for HBO at the time). It's my favorite part of the Christmas decorations and Sheryl and I alternate putting items on the tree. I get to start later today. Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
shumyum wrote:
These days we get the lego calendar which is fun in its own way.

The thing I don't like about the new Lego advents is that in past years the advent calendars actually had Christmas things in them, like a Santa minifig and tree and a reindeer, etc. The past couple of years the advents have had other themes that I don't care about. I don't mean to deny those for people who want more Star Wars or whatever, but I would just prefer something a bit more generic that I can combine with anything and/or let my imagination run free with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:

Superb! Wait...would that limit me to one beer a day? Could I have it for breakfast?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward Sexby wrote:
sunkencheerio wrote:

Superb! Wait...would that limit me to one beer a day? Could I have it for breakfast?

Obviously! You have to open the calendar at the beginning of the calendar day, right? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:

I saw one at Costco! 24 different brews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the one I got my daughter this year:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This year, we have the LEGO City calendar and a Justice League chocolate calendar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.