Subject: Standardized Board Game Stickers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a graphic designer it bugs me that board games don't have standardized playtime/player count/age limit icons, and furthermore, it bugs me that oftentimes those numbers on the box are absolute rubbish, and the ones here on BGG are much more accurate.

I've been thinking of creating some white stickers that would overlay that space on every board game box, so that I could standardize the design and also update the numbers with BGG's figures.

Is anyone aware of non-stick stickers that will peel off without much residue? I think ones that tend to have vinyl in them peel less, but haven't found much and don't have experience with any of the products I've found. Anyone tried this before?

--

...I'm thinking it might be simpler to just make a deck of game cards with the cover and some game info on each card. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:

...I'm thinking it might be simpler to just make a deck of game cards with the cover and some game info on each card. . .

If I weren't planning to just stick permanent labels on my game boxes, this would seem like the best option. Possibly the best option anyway, since it's much easier to browse a deck of cards than a shelf (or ten) of games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Disney
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I love this idea, I have been using a label maker to put a sticker of the max player count on my games, and then organizing them roughly by that count. I have found it makes it much easier to browse the shelves by the number of players we have and pick a suitable game.

I love your idea of fully updating the player count and play time stuff with BGG's, especially if there was some type of script that would throw in my collection and let me print out stickers for everything I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
it bugs me that oftentimes those numbers on the box are absolute rubbish, and the ones here on BGG are much more accurate.

I've been thinking of creating some white stickers that would overlay that space on every board game box, so that I could standardize the design and also update the numbers with BGG's figures.

Do you have some examples where the time, player count, or age info on the published game's box and in BGG's database disagree? AFAIK BGG's data is (intentionally) what the published game itself says. BGG Guide to Game Submissions seems to confirm this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Often there's a Community element alongside the publisher-provided numbers. These are often different -- especially when it games to estimated gameplay time (because it's based on actual gameplay times given when logging plays)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Malicah wrote:

I love your idea of fully updating the player count and play time stuff with BGG's, especially if there was some type of script that would throw in my collection and let me print out stickers for everything I own.

There is, as it goes:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/48007/complete-pack-creat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a vinyl that has a waterbased adhesive and in my experience it is easily removable: ORACAL® 631 Exhibition Cal. While the imprint is not perfect on it a thermal printer can print onto the material. We use a Gerber Edge FX to do this.

Although I fail to see how you are going to accomplish a standardisation when the size and location of the current box stats are of various dimension and positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Often there's a Community element alongside the publisher-provided numbers. These are often different -- especially when it games to estimated gameplay time (because it's based on actual gameplay times given when logging plays)

Ah, OK, I thought you meant the single unambiguous numbers on a game's page, instead of the community polls (which give a more general sometimes ambiguous distribution like "10% say the game is best 2-player, 40% recommend it 2-player, 50% don't recommend it 2-player", "50% say it's for ages 10+ and 50% say it's for ages 12+", etc.)

BTW I know how to see the user polls for player counts and ages on a game's page, but how do you see estimated gameplay time from users' logged plays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rjr1968 wrote:
There is a vinyl that has a waterbased adhesive and in my experience it is easily removable: ORACAL® 631 Exhibition Cal. While the imprint is not perfect on it a thermal printer can print onto the material. We use a Gerber Edge FX to do this.

Although I fail to see how you are going to accomplish a standardisation when the size and location of the current box stats are of various dimension and positions.

They might not need to be exactly standardized (or even covering the old ones), just in a place where I can easily see them on my boardgame shelves. I'm thinking the top edge of the lid, since I store my games vertically, that would be available to see easily but also unobtrusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Jenkins
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love the deck of cards idea. That would be wonderful for browsing through and comparing notes. If they were magnum size or so, it would even be really neat to have some space on the back for tracking games played and participants.

Go for it! Subscribing to this thread now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
If you want to create a deck of cards with information about your board games, just use nanDECK. It connects to your BGG account and automatically creates cards of all your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ymd_fallen wrote:
If you want to create a deck of cards with information about your board games, just use nanDECK. It connects to your BGG account and automatically creates cards of all your games.

This is a really good idea. I've heard of nandeck..wonder if it could be adapted to stickers somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
ymd_fallen wrote:
just use nanDECK. It connects to your BGG account and automatically creates cards of all your games.

That's exactly what I linked to above.

The instructions on how to do it are on that file listing as well - and being nanDeck, it's easy to change the layout or the images used or whatever if you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
ymd_fallen wrote:
just use nanDECK. It connects to your BGG account and automatically creates cards of all your games.

That's exactly what I linked to above.

The instructions on how to do it are on that file listing as well - and being nanDeck, it's easy to change the layout or the images used or whatever if you want to.

Sorry Jake, somehow missed your post in the shuffle. Thanks for the reck, nandeck looks great (if a little complex)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nand
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
I wrote nanDECK and BGG1tool
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, this is one of the layout (IDKdeck_OnlyHuman.txt) included in the zip linked by Bichatse:

The color coding to the right is for "Best for" (4 in this case), "Recommended" (3,5,6), and "Not recommeded".

Note that BGG1tool has an internal layout editor (invoked by the "D" button, to the right of "Print list"), so for simple layouts it's not necessary resort to nanDECK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.