Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few mentions of Extended Range in the rules (11.13 Airbase rebases, 16.2.4 Return to base), however these all seem like additional modifiers, instead of the main effect. In the WIF rulebook, specifically in 14.1.1, Extended Range allows air units capable of it to fly at twice their printed range but at half naval, tactical, and strategic factors. Should I assume the same is true in Fatal Alliances, and that that paragraph is missing from the rulebook (and should be added as errata)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question.

It's POSSIBLE that your interpretation is right and that this was an inadvertent omission. But maybe not - there are other things air units can do in WIF that they explicitly can NOT do in FA. Naval air interception, for one (per the note in 11.2).

My interpretation is it would not be permitted; "cut & paste" errors in FA have been more of the "oops left something in FA that doesn't apply", not "oops, left something OUT of FA that SHOULD apply". But that's a hunch only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
"cut & paste" errors in FA have been more of the "oops left something in FA that doesn't apply", not "oops, left something OUT of FA that SHOULD apply". But that's a hunch only.

I agree with that logic, although I'm not sure it always applies here. Sometimes I wonder if things were left-out to trim-down the rulebook length; but I can definitely be wrong about this!

Another inconsistency that stands-out is bomber-units with a bracketed air-to-air rating. There is no mention of it anywhere in the FA rulebook, however a quick look into the WiF rulebook reveals its purpose (14.3.2).

Of course the WiF rulebook is longer, and especially denser (smaller print size) than the FA one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kubaman wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
"cut & paste" errors in FA have been more of the "oops left something in FA that doesn't apply", not "oops, left something OUT of FA that SHOULD apply". But that's a hunch only.

I agree with that logic, although I'm not sure it always applies here. Sometimes I wonder if things were left-out to trim-down the rulebook length; but I can definitely be wrong about this!

Another inconsistency that stands-out is bomber-units with a bracketed air-to-air rating. There is no mention of it anywhere in the FA rulebook, however a quick look into the WiF rulebook reveals its purpose (14.3.2).

Of course the WiF rulebook is longer, and especially denser (smaller print size) than the FA one.

Ah-HAH! Excellent catch on the brackets. I'll see if I can get an answer on the extended-range bombing thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I emailed Andrew and posted on CSW, and he confirms that both the bracketed air AND the extended range air both work exactly as in WIF. Obviously, too MUCH cutting in those sections!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another interesting difference is:

In WiF 11.16.4 (Ground Support) each air-unit has its tactical factor limited to the total of the attacking land unit factors.

In FA 11.12.4 (Ground Support) there is no mention of such a restriction. I suppose that could have been omitted since most tactical factors in FA are fairly low in value?

Also, ground support by ART units is listed as an option in WiF, while in FA it is part of the main rule. I can see how artillery was paramount in WWI, and therefore its importance is emphasized, and probably isn't limited by land unit attack factors?

wifwendell wrote:
OK, I emailed Andrew and posted on CSW, and he confirms that both the bracketed air AND the extended range air both work exactly as in WIF. Obviously, too MUCH cutting in those sections!

Thanks for checking!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kubaman wrote:
Another interesting difference is:

In WiF 11.16.4 (Ground Support) each air-unit has its tactical factor limited to the total of the attacking land unit factors.

In FA 11.12.4 (Ground Support) there is no mention of such a restriction. I suppose that could have been omitted since most tactical factors in FA are fairly low in value?

Also, ground support by ART units is listed as an option in WiF, while in FA it is part of the main rule. I can see how artillery was paramount in WWI, and therefore its importance is emphasized, and probably isn't limited by land unit attack factors?

wifwendell wrote:

Thanks for checking!!

Ground support from AIR units is covered in 11.12.4.1 (second para). But it's not clear there (or in 21.4) whether that limit also applies to artillery. I suspect it does, but I've been wrong before. I'll ask.

Jakub, it's handy having somebody like you who doesn't come into this with a WIF background playing and reading the FAIII rules. You don't have the same built-in assumptions I do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Ground support from AIR units is covered in 11.12.4.1 (second para).

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

wifwendell wrote:
it's handy having somebody like you who doesn't come into this with a WIF background playing and reading the FAIII rules.

Hehe, I'll be sure to keep pointing out any disparities I find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.