Subject: Crossover with Destiny Aurora? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas DP
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
There's another sci-fi minis board game on KS right now, Destiny Aurora: Renegades, with about 6 days left in the campaign.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1169263915/destiny-auro...

This game is funded, but hasn't come close to Battlestations' numbers yet, and I haven't poured over the campaign page enough to determine if that's because of poor gameplay, a relatively small fan-base for the novels the game is based upon, or other factors (every KS that isn't Kingdom Death seems to have suffered this week... whistle).

Anyway, what intrigued me about Destiny Aurora was the two boards of gameplay, the macro and micro if you will, similar to Battlestations. However, in Battlestations, the micro is inside the ship; while in Destiny Aurora, the micro is the away team on a planet's surface.

Now, this prompts the gamemaster in me to fantasize about a game with three boards... the macro view of space, the micro view of what's happening on the ship, and the micro view of what's happening on the planet's surface... whoa!

But with that said, we're still waiting on Battlestations. I haven't played it yet, so I can't rationalize buying a game for the purpose of integrating its components into another game, when I haven't played either game yet. Additionally, there's always Imperial Assault, and other games, that could provide the tiles for planets' surfaces if I wanted to take a Battlestations campaign in that direction.

Has anyone else taken a look at Destiny Aurora? Anyone backing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Actually it's very easy to play a battlestations mission on a planet surface or base instead of on board of a ship.

There are already a number of missions that take place in a cave or special base on a planet and it takes only a little creativity to make one up.

The basic rules for movement and combat are the same and you can assign certain 'base' functions to specific skills depending on the mission you want. (like fireing the orbital gun (for your space ship-planet interaction) or driving your mad max type ground vehicle, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until you'd mentioned it I had never heard of the game nor the books. I took a look at it and passed. As wietse mentioned there have been "surface" missions in the past and I wouldn't doubt that there will be in the future.

I will take another look at Destiny Aurora once it has hit the street and see if is something I care about.

Between Battlestations and the re-release of Blood Bowl I think my nostalgia itch will be scratched!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas DP
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, wietse and Rob! You're pretty much telling me what I wanted to hear!
If it isn't obvious, I never played the first edition, so I'm still learning what I'm in for with Battlestations. And quite excited for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cool I hadn't heard of Aurora.

Not sure if I'm allowed to say this but Jeff is working on the first big expansion book to 2nd edition and it is (probably) going to be called Dirtside... You can guess what it is about... That's all for now. Almost wrapped with the files, submitting for production in a week or two...

joey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirtside ?Will it be compatible with the old miniatures rules from Ground Zero Games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Dirtside ?Will it be compatible with the old miniatures rules from Ground Zero Games?

I don't think Jeff's ever seen it. (I guess I could bring it to Gen Con next year...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.