BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Are certain dice disliked? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane W

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I are designing a game and we're thinking of using 4 sided dice. For one, they're different and we think they're fun, also we wanted to keep numbers on the lower side even when rolling multiple dice.

I understand 4 sided dice are less intuitive to read correctly and also they take a bit more effort to roll because of their shape.

So do you think this will be a negative aspect of the game for a significant amount of people? There isn't really any reason we couldn't use different dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some non-pyramid-shaped 4-sided dice such as: https://www.gmdice.com/collections/d4. You can think of them as stretched out 6-sided dice that can't land on 2 of the faces. Also, the numbers face upwards, making them more intuitive to read.

Alternatives to a D4 which are commercially available:

- D3: a D6 with sides 1,1,2,2,3,3
- DA (averaging dice): a D6 with sides 2,3,3,4,4,5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh... from a "dice fetish" standpoint, I always hated the standard D4 and D12. The D4 feels less like a "die" and more like a a coin, and the D12 will travel across the table farther than a greased big in a vacuum every time you roll it.

That said... I really think you should consider doing what's best for your game, rather than building it around a die you think needs more love.

That said... if you want to keep your numbers low, I'd advise the D6 - it's stupidly common and easy to obtain, from both a user and manufacturing perspective. It's not pretty, it's dull, but it gets the job done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RabidPickle wrote:
For one, they're different and we think they're fun, also we wanted to keep numbers on the lower side even when rolling multiple dice.

3-sided

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"She comes out of the Sun in a silk dress runnin' like a watercolor in the rain."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Or a d8 with double numbers? Not that hard.

d4s are kind of clunky when you roll them. Everyone thinks you're cheating when you're not.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane W

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

That said... I really think you should consider doing what's best for your game, rather than building it around a die you think needs more love.

That said... if you want to keep your numbers low, I'd advise the D6 - it's stupidly common and easy to obtain, from both a user and manufacturing perspective. It's not pretty, it's dull, but it gets the job done.

Just before I read this we discussed it and decided going with regular D6 is for the best. The thought of people not being able to play because they lost some D4s is sad.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there D8's numbered 1-4 twice as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:
Are there D8's numbered 1-4 twice as well?

Never mind; I answered my own question

http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Specialty%20Dice/4_sided.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
True story (that I have probably posted on these forums in the past): When I was first introduced to RPGs, and funny RPG dice, I was 11 years old, and so were the GM and other players. They had played a few times before and sort of understood a few rules (although I later realised we played almost everything wrong). The probably worst error was in how to use the D4. The rulebook did not mention that, so the way they had decided (and convinced me about) was to do as with other dice and read the horizontal side. The side down towards the floor in case of the D4. But that side has three digits you say? Yes, so we summed those three digits. If I picked up the die and read 1, 3, 4, the result was 8. Simple! I am too lazy to check, but I think you get results from 6 to 9 (like 1D4+4)? That also made some weapons incredibly overpowered (like if you rolled 3D4 for damage).

So in addition to the subjective problems with D4, and the objective fact that they really hurt when you step on them, I would add that there is a possibly usability-issue (or possibly it was just us).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
... the objective fact that they really hurt when you step on them...

Subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing of d4s is that they don't really 'roll', you more have to spin/toss them into the air and let them land.

d6s are prevalent and popular. That makes them cheaper to get discounts on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
These are nice d4s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crispin Moakler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes - certain dice are.

The D12 is generally useless, do games featuring it are usually viewed as games trying to foist them on persons who would otherwise avoid them.

The D4 is hated by anyone who has ever trod on one. Or two. Or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
These are nice d4s.

These look similar to the original d4's, knucklebones.

Dreidels are the most common prism d4's.

I don't like tetrahedral d4's. It's really unfortunate, in my weird dice-loving opinion, that whoever first started making polyhedral dice decided that platonic solids were the ideal shapes for dice. It would have been so much better in my opinion if the cube d6 had been replaced with the prism d6 (think rocket dice made for Alien Frontiers or the bullet dice in Tiny Epic Western) and all other dice were based on prisms as well. With prisms, you can make fair-rolling dice of every number from 3 up, including odd numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
The d4 is the worst die and the best caltrop. I refuse to roll one without using a dice tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lotta grouchiness about D4s on here, sheesh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Starflier wrote:

That's 'cause the D7 is where it's at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane W

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starflier wrote:

Kind of why I made the thread! laugh

Good to know, good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispinTheGoblinKing wrote:
The D12 is generally useless, do games featuring it are usually viewed as games trying to foist them on persons who would otherwise avoid them.

Why this view? The only problem they have is higher cost to manufacture.

They roll better than other dice. The sides are evenly divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a space-based dice combat game and have been contemplating having pretty much every die available to use as a ship (D4, D6, D8, D10, D12, D20). After a bit of playtesting I'm thinking of scaling back to maybe 2-3 variants. Based on this thread maybe D6 is as small as I go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
JonasVenture wrote:
I'm working on a space-based dice combat game and have been contemplating having pretty much every die available to use as a ship (D4, D6, D8, D10, D12, D20). After a bit of playtesting I'm thinking of scaling back to maybe 2-3 variants. Based on this thread maybe D6 is as small as I go...

d8s with 1-4 twice is fine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus-Gunther Herzog
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
Eh... from a "dice fetish" standpoint, I always hated the standard D4 and D12. The D4 feels less like a "die" and more like a a coin, and the D12 will travel across the table farther than a greased big in a vacuum every time you roll it.

A D12 rolls too much? Pah! I see your D12 and raise you a D60...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
PlowStr8 wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

I was going to say something about the d100, but I think those typically have sand (or something) in them to make them stop sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus-Gunther Herzog
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishhammer wrote:
PlowStr8 wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

I was going to say something about the d100, but I think those typically have sand (or something) in them to make them stop sooner.

There's also a d120 but maybe now we're just getting silly? Though apparently the manufacturer must think there is some use for these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.