Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
I too like this wee title, heck we all do, but why is it some sort group think holy grail. If it were in print and available would it bee all that "special"? I suppose those of us who are game collectors suffer from the same lack of objective reasoning that all magpie suffer. I hear that it is very shinny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy of the french edition and pasted it up for a very reasonable price. That could be an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Fitzgerald
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
I have 2 copies : one is the 1.5 edition, and the other is a self printed version of the black box edition that looks and feels absolutely wonderful; you would never know the difference. Before you ask, I am sorry, no you cannot have the art for the black box, and no I won't print one to sell to you (Sorry, morality and legality are the drivers in this).
However ... Even though I've wanted to keep both editions, I feel for you and I would consider selling my 1.5 edition to you. I know it's not the best edition (art wise), but for me it was enough to scratch the itch until I got my black box. PM me if you have any interest and we could talk more about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slowlytranscending wrote:
Hello all!!

The reason I am writing this, is to see if anyone knows of a reasonable venue to obtain another copy of this game. If I have to shell out the 200+ to get it again, it will take quite a while, but I will.

Kind of funny, but just above your post is an ad that Glory to Rome is available at Amazon.com for $149.99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forby
msg tools
I too want to get this game but don't want to spend an arm and a leg to get it. I don't fall into the "Collector" mindset. I get games to play. And I have worn out a couple of games (not this one as I have never owned it)

But I want this game. I don't mind spending a reasonable price for it. If it is on a custom printing site like gamecrafter.com or drivethrucards.com then I would buy it in a heartbeat (provided that it isn't like $50 or something)

I like the cartoony art myself. So the older copies are fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matrix4b wrote:
I too want to get this game but don't want to spend an arm and a leg to get it. I don't fall into the "Collector" mindset. I get games to play. And I have worn out a couple of games (not this one as I have never owned it)

But I want this game. I don't mind spending a reasonable price for it. If it is on a custom printing site like gamecrafter.com or drivethrucards.com then I would buy it in a heartbeat (provided that it isn't like $50 or something)

So not really In A heartbeat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Picked up a copy from an auction (NIS, astonishingly) for $75 plus shipping (total came to about $83) literally about a month ago. This was for the IV version without the promos, not the black box edition.

So, it's out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A copy sold on Ebay within the last couple weeks for $57, so keep an eye out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forby
msg tools
abodi wrote:
Matrix4b wrote:

So not really In A heartbeat

Ok, So I have limits. It if is over $50 then I might as well take the time and create my own images and then set up an account on thegamecrafter.com myself. You can after all find the details of the 50 or so cards online AND images of the camps. So it would not be a stretch to do the work. I just wanted to save myself the time and energy and actually get an official copy. But if those prices are overblown and in the "collector" range then it isn't worth the money. I am on a tight budget and don't make much. Now If I was rich, I would pay those high prices but I am not a millionaire or even make enough to contribute to a retirement plan.

A quick check on prices for cards (poker sized) is $1.66 per sheet of 18 cards so, say 5 sheets would only be: $8.30 plus shipping. Download their template, use of Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator, Create account, upload and get it set up. I am sure that with about 4 hours of work and under $15.00 that I could get a professional quality of the game. So it makes no sense to pay over $50 for the game.

And since it is for personal use only, I am not violating any copywrights.

So, I guess, No not in a heartbeat. Sorry, didn't mean to mislead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Matrix4b wrote:

You may want to brush up on copyright law in your country before making that claim...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forby
msg tools
darthnice wrote:
Matrix4b wrote:

You may want to brush up on copyright law in your country before making that claim...

As far as I am aware. I can print up or have printed up through a print shop anything that I wish to use for just me. Now, taking it to a con, charging for it, or getting paid for it in anyway is another matter. Said printing could not be brought to a tournament as well.

As I said, for me and my friends to play. I am not profiting on it financially. I am not charging a cover to my friends and I am not bringing it to a public venue. As I said, For personal use only.

I also think that copyright laws only protect from someone profiting on the game. And since there is no company in current existence that produces the game then I am not taking anything away from the original owners of the game, from their profits. I am only taking away possible money from the "collectors" of the game. To me that's a null issue. If they wanted me to buy the game their prices wouldn't be so high.

Yes, I tried to get it at a reasonable price BUT that is currently proving not possible. $85 for the game is over $1.50 a card. The idea is already out there in the form of spreadsheets of the cards and there are a ton of images. I can also find the rules on this very forum. So,I see no legal issue in making up my own copy as I not that someone did in this very forum and had it printed through the same source that I mentioned.

So, both logically and ethically, I see no harm in making it myself. It will just take time and work that I didn't want to do. Mostly because I am not charing, publishing, or otherwise providing damages to the original creators of the game it is ok. Now, if the original creators want to offer me a chance to buy the game at the same sell price they had when it was created...I would be for that but the fact that they can't and it's "Out of Print" status indicates to me those that have copies wont part with them for anything less than a 50% to 100% mark up from it's original price. Not acceptable.

So, I guess that I am left with creating it myself. I wonder when I shall have the time to do so. But I may try soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Matrix4b wrote:
So, both logically and ethically, I see no harm in making it myself.

I am not a lawyer. However, logic and ethics are irrelevant to what copyright laws actually say. I do not know what country you are in, however, in the US duplication for "personal use" is definitely not protected. You will likely never get charged with anything. Nobody here will likely out you to any authority, and even if they did, nobody will likely care.

My only advice is to take care claiming that you are not violating copyrights if you don't understand what the copyright laws in your country actually say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Svedas
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1598059/how-i-got-my-copy-g...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Fitzgerald
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
If he recreates the artwork himself, and intends it for his own use only it would most definitely fall under fair use in the US. There is no black and white with "fair use", but there's no way that doesn't meet the requirements of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Matrix4b wrote:
I can print up or have printed up through a print shop anything that I wish to use for just me.

This is actually not the case - if someone asks a print shop to print a copyrighted novel for your own use, they are asking them to violate copyright by creating a copy of a copyrighted work. (Fair use etc. are not in play here; why you're ordering the copy and what you plan to do with it aren't relevant.)

That said, the question of "can game rules / mechanics be copyrighted?" is currently a murky one, and tends towards no. Thus, if you create your own art and text, but largely duplicate the mechanics of the game, you might (might!) not be subject to copyright restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
A couple of stands at the Essen fair sold the German version for quite reasonable prices. Search the internets for 'Ruhm für Rom' (the German title) and you can find it as well. Lookout Spiele lists the game for €20, Spiele-Offensive has the same price.

You'll have to paste up the cards, but I'm sure that there are some paste up sheets in the files section here.

Edit: You can find the expansion 'Mehr Ruhm für Rom' for about €5,50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarra Scott
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Urbanization the Board Game: my first original game design
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy in the crappy plastic box a few months ago from my FLGS. I had played it before the black box fiasco. Was the art and box really worth jacking (no pun intended) up the price to easily 10 x the normal price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bergstrom
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Fitzdrew516 wrote:
If he recreates the artwork himself, and intends it for his own use only it would most definitely fall under fair use in the US. There is no black and white with "fair use", but there's no way that doesn't meet the requirements of it.

Without getting into the details of the Fair Use exception, this is unquestionably NOT fair use. This is solid copyright infringement. However, someone posting above is correct in saying that the chance of anyone trying to enforce that copyright against you is virtually zero. Unless, of course, you start bragging online about what a great idea it was to just print your own illegal copy because you didn't want to pay for it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a lawyer and I don't hold this out as legal advice, so consult a licensed attorney if you have questions.

Fair use and its personal use exemption only applies if you legally own the item to begin with. In this instance, the poster doesn't own a copy of Glory to Rome, so they couldn't kegally print their own copy at a copy shop. They are breaking the law if this was done in the United States.

For example, fair use was a valid legal defense when making digital copies of vinyl records and cds because:

1.) The person owned a physical copy of the performance in question.
2.) It was not being shared with other parties.

It was the sharing of copied music that led to people's downfall with services like Napster. The argument that "the other party owned a copy too" wasn't a good defense because the poster couldn't reasonably assert that every person who would ever download the infringed work legally owned it.

The law gets a little murky regarding orphaned works (someone needs to have a legal claim to the work in order to assert copyright violation); and certainly, the observations about the practicalities of enforcement are all valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bergstrom
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Autoduelist wrote:
I am not a lawyer and I don't hold this out as legal advice, so consult a licensed attorney if you have questions.

Fair use and its personal use exemption only applies if you legally own the item to begin with. In this instance, the poster doesn't own a copy of Glory to Rome, so they couldn't legally print their own copy at a copy shop. They are breaking the law if this was done in the United States.

I am a copyright lawyer, and this is basically correct. This is also not legal advice, otherwise it would be accompanied by a bill. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.