Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Japanese Translation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We got my daughter a shirt for her birthday from Gamestop; she's big into Pokemon and Pikachu, and thought she'd like it (particularly because we've had trouble finding girl shirts with pokemon). It has some Japanese text on it, and we aren't quite sure what it says. Can anyone help?



My daughter had some phonetic symbols and it looks like part of it may say "Pikachu", unsurprisingly, but we aren't 100% sure and we think there's more to it.

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
It says Pikachu.

Edit: Fun fact:

ピカピカ - Pika Pika - is the Japanese onomatopoeia for a sparkling sound.
チューチュー - Chuu Chuu - is the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound that a mouse makes.

So Pikachu's name translates literally to "sparkle-squeak."
14 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
Avatar
mb
I feel like more Asian folks should be asking these questions.














5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Failing upwards... ever faster!
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Google translate (phone app) says "Pikachu shirt ON".

*shrug*

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
It says Pikachu.

Edit: Fun fact:

ピカピカ - Pika Pika - is the Japanese onomatopoeia for a sparkling sound.
チューチュー - Chuu Chuu - is the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound that a mouse makes.

So Pikachu's name translates literally to "sparkle-squeak."


Thanks. I may have misunderstood what she was telling me then when she was sounding them out, I thought she got "pikachu" off only a couple characters, but I guess not

I'll tell my daughter that fun fact, she'll get a kick out of it.

Out of curiosity, two things:
1) What is the last character? It wasn't in either the Pika Pika or Chuu Chuu bits in the fun fact.

2) I thought Japanese read right-to-left? But again, that may have just been me not understanding something I thought I heard once upon a time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
It says Pikachu.

Edit: Fun fact:

ピカピカ - Pika Pika - is the Japanese onomatopoeia for a sparkling sound.
チューチュー - Chuu Chuu - is the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound that a mouse makes.

So Pikachu's name translates literally to "sparkle-squeak."


Thanks. I may have misunderstood what she was telling me then when she was sounding them out, I thought she got "pikachu" off only a couple characters, but I guess not :D

I'll tell my daughter that fun fact, she'll get a kick out of it.

Out of curiosity, two things:
1) What is the last character? It wasn't in either the Pika Pika or Chuu Chuu bits in the fun fact.

2) I thought Japanese read right-to-left? But again, that may have just been me not understanding something I thought I heard once upon a time.


1) The last characrter (ウ) has the sound of 'u'. So:
'チュー(Chu-)' and 'チュウ(chuu)' are interchangeable in this case. In fact, you can also write the onomatopoeia as 'チュウチュウ'

2) Japanese, can be written in two ways. Traditionally in print words are written top-to-bottom and lines go right-to-left. However, on computers and in other digital media words are typically written left-to-right and lines go top-to-bottom as in English. You can read a little more about it here.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Very informative!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

I want this T-Shirt.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
We have a local hot springs that caters to japanese. I once worked with a lady (definitely no prude) who was there for an afternoon. In the changing room she encountered a Japanese lady who was changing into a swimsuit with very obscene language printed on it. She wouldn't tell us exactly what it said, but knowing this lady you could be sure it wasn't a simple "fuck" it had to have been very objectionable, and I got the feeling it was probably degrading.

The lady had no clue. My friend bought her a new swimsuit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My J-wife is still laughing about the "too drunk" shirt...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OP... the shirt definitely reads Pikachu
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw too many shirts like this when I was in Tokyo 15 years ago...

One of my friend bought a shirt with a picture of a tennis racquet, which had the text "I'm a center player sport island."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Week 2017 TOKYO bullet KYOTO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you answer the phone in Japan, instead of ahoy ahoy, you say Moshi Moshi, so the caller knows you are not a fox.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
When you answer the phone in Japan, instead of ahoy ahoy, you say Moshi Moshi, so the caller knows you are not a fox.


Kitsune ja nai.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
When you answer the phone in Japan, instead of ahoy ahoy, you say Moshi Moshi, so the caller knows you are not a fox.


...but what do you say if you ARE a fox?



I mean, yeah, I could Google 'What Does The Fox Say', but that's always been a little problematic for some reason.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Failing upwards... ever faster!
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
dreadpirate wrote:
Google translate (phone app) says "Pikachu shirt ON".
StevenE wrote:
OP... the shirt definitely reads Pikachu

I find it vaguely unsettling that Google translate is able to recognize the characters are on a shirt.

When the robot revolution happens, only the shirtless will survive.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just glad it didn't end up being a dirty word or something
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.