$60.00
$20.00
Cory Kocurek
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hey everyone, we are looking for feedback on the art for our new game Decree.

Here is a description along with links to the rules and the full color print and play files below. We would love any feedback you guys would like to give.

The King of the Greatest Kingdom has passed, and with no heir, his dying wish was that the next richest kingdom would inherit his land. Now the surrounding kingdoms fight to fill their coffers and claim what was his.

Command your followers to loot and ransack neighboring kingdoms while guarding your own.

Decree is a competitive game for 3-5 players in which you and your fellow kings strive to obtain the most wealth. Players will need to strategize and bluff their way to victory in this battle of wits. Tensions rise as players secretly select their actions. Then when they are revealed the chaos begins. Assault kingdoms, Guard your own, or even hold a festival, but watch out for the mighty Dragon!

Rule Book
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/decree/download/24909EC...

Print and Play
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/decree/download/D72DEE9...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Feed back on game art - Trival
Haven't clicked through anything yet.

I've read the title multiple times, and I keep seeing TRIVIAL

Maybe not the best name.

The Banner doesn't feature the name. Seems like a mistake.

Theme is somewhat tired (King died, hiers squabble to claim kingdom).

The game looks like it is for exactly 3 players - which is not always an easy number to generate.

Rules: White text on red background seems rough on the eyes and on the ink. I'm not sure what the graphic behind the text is. I'm not sure I care.

Rule: " Starting with the player that the Greatest Treasurer is visiting "
Up to that moment, I thought that the Greatest Treasurer was a ROLE/TITLE claimed by a player, not a "character" that was visiting a player.

Red card symbol on a red background - poor contrast.
Red/Green cards without symbology separating them - bad for the color blind.

Name your players. I rarely play against "#3".

Surely tokens for money/VP are easier than so many cards which would have dual faces.

Drafting from fully available supply seems like it will degenerate into common and understood strategies very quickly. It is unclear if in year 2 everyone starts with 2 cards already in 'hand' and is drafting only 3 from the 9 played the previous year, or if all 15 cards are returned every year and drafted anew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kocurek
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback!

A good point on the name. Ill have to think about that one.

The banner on game crafter shows the logo. I just hadn't thought about how it would copy over to BGG so thats not a biggie.

In the rules section thanks for catching that it is never mentioned to return all the action cards to the center at the end of a year. Ill be updating that right away along with adding in player names for the example.

For money and VP they are cards so that the game can be made to fit in a 54 card deck box. The game is mostly a short filler game and making it all cards was decided on for ease of printing, portability, and quick set up.

Currently the game is 3 player only. An awkward number I admit but one that works well with the games mechanics. Trival started as a passion project between me and 2 other friends. Its mass market appeal is limited but since it is nearly finished already we want to share the fun that we have had with other groups that would be interested. That being said we have rules to add more players but it would push the game out side of the 54 card box that we had hoped to limit it to.

After many play tests we haven't had any feedback of growing tired with the pool of cards. Most of the game comes from the timing playing your cards and not necessarily the cards selected at the beginning of the year.

As far as the White on red goes, I just got my test copy in.

I thought there was enough contrast but that could be just me. Do you still think that legibility may be an issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kocurek
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Also some pictures of cards and a play set up incase anyone else would like to give any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohammed Bellafquih
France
flag msg tools
The art look really Nice, i like the minimalistic à f colorful approach.

I have to agree on the name though, i read trivial too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
mbmb
hi - i really like your art and it seems like a great game.

HOWEVER - limiting it to three players will stop many many many people from backing it on kickstarter and a publisher wouldn't touch it. I understand that "the mechanics don't fit more or less players" but the reality is the "mechanics" of everyday board gaming is you need this to be flexible otherwise the project will die a death i'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the card image in the rules picture to get lost in the background. I am losing where the edge of the card is.

I find the red background to be distracting in other ways too. Awkward underlining of part of the word "kingdoms" in the Yellow explanation for example. The Red card on the left page is just a white outline. Not having symbols for the classes of cards will really hurt you for those who are red/green or red/blue color deficient.

Re: Colorblindness, try running your images through a simulator like one found here:
http://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simula...

What prevents every round from being the same if the entire pool of cards can be drafted? I would expect that to devolve into "Anne took Festival, so I need a Rainy Day to thwart her" (I'm not saying that's a viable move, I'm using random card names.) You say it hasn't been an issue in play testing -- are people exploring in order to find possible strategies, or are they playing known strategies in an attempt to win? (This might be a "How much have you playtested it" question, since it seems like strong playtesting should drive out possible dominant strategies based on the drafting, and your comment seems to indicate that there is more tactical decision making happening at the play stage than strategic planning at the draft stage).

Concerning the player count, you would definitely help yourself if you made this at least playable by 2 players, and possibly figuring out a way to expand it to four. You site the 54 card limit as a reason you're not expanding to four, but you've also dedicated 8 of the cards to "Victory Points" and 27 cards to Currency. There are more 'marker' cards than play cards.

I understand the desire to keep it as all cards, but having 15 "game" cards in a pack of 54 (16 if you count the Treasurer Marker) really hurts my head. The price point really couldn't be any more than, say, Love Letter which has 18 "game" cards, a rules booklet, 4 player reminder cards and some tokens for scoring. Having cardboard 'coins' will increase the tactile feel of the game. Having a cardboard 'treasurer' would make sure he doesn't get lost in the card shuffle and accidentally swept up between rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I personally love the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kocurek
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thank you guys for all of your input.

We went ahead and added out rules for up to 5 players. They haven't been play tested nearly as much as 3 player but we had been bouncing them around for a while and adding to our audience is worth holding off releasing earlier.

Went ahead and changed the name. Originally it was named Trival for 3 Rivals, but now that we have added rules for 4 and 5 players the name didn't quite fit. Plus we don't want anyone mistaking it for trivial.

We still want to stick to an all card game because of our minimal production experience but going to a larger tuck box to fit more players seems like the way we are gonna go.

Gonna work on adding symbols for color blindness but they wont be aded for a little bit.

The drafting hasn't broken down on us in any of our test groups. Taking cards to counter someones is certainly something to think about but since each player only plays 3 of their 5 cards each round even if players draft the same hands every round the game stays varied. You are right about my comment. Even with the same cards every round the order that they are played in has much more effect on the game than the cards drafted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Conversely, I much prefer when game designers are honest about the number of players the game supports, especially when the upper limit is actually terrible to play at.

Something to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kocurek
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Its been a while but Im happy to say that the rule book and art has been updated.

After playing the 4-5 player version enough the drafting mechanic has been made into a variant. With 3 players drafting was usually quick and fun but with 5 people the game began to slog down.

With the changes it plays great at 4-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.