Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/nov/30/breitbart-news...

Quote:
The right-wing news site Breitbart has declared “#WAR” on Kellogg’s, calling for a boycott of the cereal company’s products after they decided to cease advertising on the site.

On Tuesday, the Kellogg Company pulled their adverts from the site, saying that it wasn’t “aligned with our values”.

Invalid tweet.

lets hear it again rsp conservatives - how stupid boycotts are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the news. I will be buying more Kellogg's cereals in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
breitbart reporting on breitbart: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/11/30/dumpkello...
Quote:
Kellogg Co. announced on Tuesday its decision to pull ads from conservative media giant Breitbart.com because its 45,000,000 monthly conservative readers are not “aligned with our values as a company.” In response, Breitbart News, one of the world’s top news publishers, has launched a #DumpKelloggs petition and called for a boycott of the ubiquitous food manufacturer.

"media giant"

"one of the worlds top news publishers"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
'moi' were currently buying "Chobani Yogurt" at 2-cups for a single $1-USD in "furthering support" of what their beneficent owner provided then! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
45,000,000 people actually read Brietbart? That's most likely some serious number wizarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
rcbevco wrote:
45,000,000 people actually read Brietbart? That's most likely some serious number wizarding.
whistle Yes, those 'denoted' 'Zeroes' JUST all of a sudden "showed up intentionally"! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
single sentences wrote:

Boycotts are stupid and usually ineffective, but you are more than free to participate in them if your heart so desires.

For my personal boycott Jihad against the forces of evil, if I see a "no guns allowed" sign at the entrance, I'll go elsewhere (unless it's a bar because that's probably a good plan.)

Is that because you'd like to see more citizens with guns in department stores?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
General Mills for Secretary of Defense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
single sentences wrote:

Boycotts are stupid and usually ineffective, but you are more than free to participate in them if your heart so desires.

For my personal boycott Jihad against the forces of evil, if I see a "no guns allowed" sign at the entrance, I'll go elsewhere (unless it's a bar because that's probably a good plan.)

True, though I want the choice to be up to the bar.

Same with cigarettes and posted out front. Bartender cool with you to pack packs and be packing, rock on.

Advertise out front. Let me know what I'm getting into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
single sentences wrote:

Cause you don't like private property rights?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: sane rational conservatives not getting emotionalhttps://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions
Ahhh, All Bran clears out the shits again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
mrspank wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
single sentences wrote:

Is that because you'd like to see more citizens with guns in department stores?

Yes, I would love to see more citizens exercise their 2A rights and take responsibility for their own personal defense and the defense of those around them.

I wouldn't want to see people exercising their second amendment rights when I'm shopping. I also don't want to see people shouting obscenities loudly (exercising their first amendment rights) there either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
single sentences wrote:

That's a pretty silly question. I'm not trying to have the government strip them of their right to make their business a gun free zone, I'm just choosing not to support them with my money if they choose to do so.

But why? You clearly don't favor boycotts in general? Most stores require shirt and shoes as a matter of decorum. Any problem with that? Would you avoid stores that won't serve gays, or blacks or muslims? Why is a private store owner who doesn't want guns in their establishment somehow more worthy of avoidance than any other choice they may make about the conduct of patrons?

AS a gun owner, you must be aware that not all other gun owners are equally as well prepared and/or rational as you are. How would a store owner vet customers coming in as to their capacity in regard to the safe handling of their weapons? How could they know whether each and every model is safe or whether some idiot has come in with one in the chamber and a possible accidental discharge?

Do you conceive of no rationale in which a business might choose to disallow weapons on their premises?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
But why? You clearly don't favor boycotts in general? Most stores require shirt and shoes as a matter of decorum. Any problem with that? Would you avoid stores that won't serve gays, or blacks or muslims? Why is a private store owner who doesn't want guns in their establishment somehow more worthy of avoidance than any other choice they may make about the conduct of patrons?

AS a gun owner, you must be aware that not all other gun owners are equally as well prepared and/or rational as you are. How would a store owner vet customers coming in as to their capacity in regard to the safe handling of their weapons? How could they know whether each and every model is safe or whether some idiot has come in with one in the chamber and a possible accidental discharge?

Do you conceive of no rationale in which a business might choose to disallow weapons on their premises?

"Clearly don't favor" is kind of a loaded term. Like I said above, I think they're kind of silly and not effective. That doesn't mean that I'm not going to bring politics into my shopping decisions.

Would I avoid the stores with a no blacks/gays/whatever other identity group you want to bring up to try to paint me as racist/bigot/homophobe/etc.. type policy? Certainly. I haven't really seen too many (any actually) of those types of stores around though so saying that I'm actively boycotting them would be rather superfluous/ridiculous/virtue signally.

I do care quite a bit about supporting 2A rights and about allowing citizens to defend themselves. I also see a reasonable percentage of businesses around the state who don't want me in their store if I am carrying. I respect the right of business owners to say "no, we don't want you to carry your guns in here." They can do that if they want to, they're just not a business that I care to patronize. It would be inconvenient for me to have to turn around, go back to the car, and put my gun away. It's also a decision that I think is unwise. The business owners can certainly disagree and I support their right to do so, I'm just going to choose not to plop down my money there if that's what they want to do.

How dare you choose where you want to do business based on your own personal values? You cretin. Exclamation point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
single sentences wrote:

Wait, you're in favor of gun control in bars? Leftist!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't want Justin picking fights with old ladies to escalate into a wild west shootout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
bjlillo wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

As I sit here some more, the implication in this question really does irritate me. It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what a boycott actually is and what property rights are. There is a massive difference between what lefties did in the Great Cake Wars of 2013 for instance compared to an organized boycott. Taking your business elsewhere because a business who has a product you would potentially buy decides to get political is a far cry from calling up mommy government and demanding that business and its ownership be fined until they comply with your wishes or go out of business. It's like the stupidity when people scream about free speech back when the Dixie Chicks shot their mouth off overseas and country fans just stopped buying their album a few years back or when NFL players refused to stand during the anthem. Some people are refusing to watch the NFL. That's a perfectly acceptable reaction to that. Some people are calling on the owners to cut those players or letting them know they won't buy their product. A bit draconian and a dick move IMO, but still within the realm of being acceptable.

However, when you petition the government to punish businesses or individuals for not complying with your political philosophies, you've crossed a major line. I'm irritated that you would lump my voluntary choice to avoid stores who engage in behavior I don't appreciate with the people who want government to step in and force those businesses to comply. That's a huge philosophical and practical difference. You're usually way more intelligent than that in your posts. There are plenty of lefties here that I would expect that from, but not you.

rulesjds post was a joke because you were talking about private businesses with "no guns allowed" like bars - which right/freedom takes priority here (right to bear arms or freedom of association or private property rights)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to answer the question.... boycotts are ridiculous. They are a form of weaponizing free speech which has its own dangers, but it's their right to do so. In this case, it is ridiculous and laughable. And as a non-Breitbart conservative, I find calling for this boycott to be both hypocritical and also totally expected.

But when people start spinning "Boycotts are dumb" into either "So why do you think it's okay to make your own individual choices on your own individual values" or "Why aren't you okay with the government getting into the business of enforcing personal values," you are straying far afield. Breitbart's call for a boycott is clownish and deserves to be called out as such. Trying to take this incident and make any point beyond is not going to end well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
rulesjds post was a joke because you were talking about private businesses with "no guns allowed" like bars - which right/freedom takes priority here (right to bear arms or freedom of association or private property rights)

Careful or you'll make BJ's head explode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
single sentences wrote:

A gotcha worthy of TheDashi, akin to feminists being mean to transgendered or whatnot.

A business saying they don't allow weapons is not denying a person the right of owning or possessing a weapon. So there is no conflict at all. If I invited BJ over to my house and told him that his weapon was not welcome here, I am not denying him his right to own one. He could even bring one into my home if he wanted to be a dick and pick a fight. But I suspect he would just choose to frequent one of the many other delightful wonders the State Of Many Corners possesses.

And when I tell him that my home is an alcohol-free zone, he would stay away from me even faster. And I'd respect him for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
sfox wrote:
single sentences wrote:

A gotcha worthy of TheDashi, akin to feminists being mean to transgendered or whatnot.

A business saying they don't allow weapons is not denying a person the right of owning or possessing a weapon. So there is no conflict at all. If I invited BJ over to my house and told him that his weapon was not welcome here, I am not denying him his right to own one. He could even bring one into my home if he wanted to be a dick and pick a fight. But I suspect he would just choose to frequent one of the many other delightful wonders the State Of Many Corners possesses.

And when I tell him that my home is an alcohol-free zone, he would stay away from me even faster. And I'd respect him for it.

I gave up trying to explain things to that dummy after yesterday. He's not worth your effort.

Maybe if I used more ellipses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
bjlillo wrote:
single sentences wrote:

Apparently it wasn't a joke since he followed it up with another post showing the same fundamental misunderstanding. Your rights are guaranteed in the public square. When you're on property owned by someone else, you have to abide by their rules or leave the premises. That's pretty basic stuff. Property rights are why you can't sit in a movie theatre and talk without getting kicked out or light up a cigarette in certain buildings or walk around topless or any number of other behaviors property owners deem to be unacceptable. If you don't agree with their choices, don't patronize them and/or try to get them to willingly see the error of their ways. It's pretty simple stuff.

but you boycott private businesses with a "no guns allowed" sign - i mean if that makes sense to you then cool i guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
single sentences wrote:

Apparently it wasn't a joke since he followed it up with another post showing the same fundamental misunderstanding. Your rights are guaranteed in the public square. When you're on property owned by someone else, you have to abide by their rules or leave the premises. That's pretty basic stuff. Property rights are why you can't sit in a movie theatre and talk without getting kicked out or light up a cigarette in certain buildings or walk around topless or any number of other behaviors property owners deem to be unacceptable. If you don't agree with their choices, don't patronize them and/or try to get them to willingly see the error of their ways. It's pretty simple stuff.

but you boycott private businesses with a "no guns allowed" sign - i mean if that makes sense to you then cool i guess

He doesn't boycott them. He doesn't round up his friends and try to get people en masse to take their business away. He just makes a personal choice based on his personal values. You do the same, I am certain of it. I know I do. I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart. Sadly, they keep rolling in cash in spite of my principled stand.

But I don't try to bully others into not going there, nor do I lobby the government to try and shut them down because I don't like their business practices. Make the distinction between a personal choice and a boycott, because if you treat them both interchangeably, then you are getting precisely nowhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
GameCrossing wrote:
He doesn't boycott them.
bjlillo wrote:

as i said i thought it was a joke so i dont get why this got serious all of a sudden - obviously bjs position on property rights is well established here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.