Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marek Przadka
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having only played a handful of games, I'm still trying to gauge how many of my wins/losses were due to luck and how many were due to skill. From what I can tell in my limited play, luck seems to be a big factor, even with the different mitigation effects available through cards and abilities. But I don't want to assume since I'm still a n00b to this game. For those of you who have played more than the five games I've played, how do you feel about this? I'm honestly considering just keeping this a casual game between friends and only play in tournaments for Netrunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marek,

I am thoroughly convinced (though contrary to popular belief) there is a skill set involved with rolling dice. There is no one on this planet who's dice rolls are as bad as mine and for me, going to the Star Wars Destiny galaxy was no different.

I have only played three times, but I can see that despite the involvement of dice, there is skill involved with setting up your dice pool and cards. The dice will just give the game some chaotic flavor so things may not always go the way you plan, but to me this is what makes games like this fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's not enough data to determine that yet. Having played 5-6 games so far I feel like a better player will win 80% of the time. Since you see most of your deck if not all of it, you need to be aware of what cards you need at a particular time and not be afraid to pitch one for a reroll or even discard at the end of the round to get to those cards you really need. I believe there is a lot more skill in this game than a lot of people think at first glance. Having said that, I do think that the dice have a slight balancing effect but I still don't think it's enough that a really experienced player could be upset by someone new to the game. Idk, either way it's a heck of a lot of fun and that's good enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for playing the game, skill is an important factor but may sometimes be overshadowed by the luck on the roll, though i feel overall skill is more important.

the biggest skill-related part is in the deckbuilding beforehand, choosing the right card combinations/characters/battlefield that offer the most synergy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Palacio
United States
suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can definitely get lucky in this game, but without skills, you will probably miss those chances anyways.

You just can't be lucky and not be ready for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think there are enough rolls and rerolls this is like Twilight Struggle and the better player will win 9/10. True test will be larger tourneys and seeing if the same players win year after year. However there is a substantial buy in, to get enough cards to build a solid deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally luck based. I open 6 packs and get my 4th Rey's Staff. The next guy buys 1 booster and gets Vader. Where's the skill in that? It's all luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne peters
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So you think that opening boosters is part of the game?
If so opening boosters is purely skill based. No luck involved what so ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuisitor wrote:

opening the booster is best done between the 6th & 7th teeth on the right, holding the booster upside-down and facing away from the front. Legendary. Almost. Every. Time. I haven't seen evidence if right- or left-dominated ripping causes it to swing near or away from 100%, so there is some "luck" or "chance" if you could call it that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
theashers wrote:
Excuisitor wrote:

opening the booster is best done between the 6th & 7th teeth on the right, holding the booster upside-down and facing away from the front. Legendary. Almost. Every. Time. I haven't seen evidence if right- or left-dominated ripping causes it to swing near or away from 100%, so there is some "luck" or "chance" if you could call it that.

Opening boosters is best done by my children.

I bought an opened 24 boosters and only saw one legendary.

Finally got a box yesterday and my kids opened for me a Vader, Han, Jabba, AT-ST, Kylo Ren's Lightsaber and Commanding Presence.

I also got two BB-8, two Rey's Staff, my third and fourth Leia Organa (seriously, this card/die seems as common as dirt), but overall I am very pleased.

Kids are natural luck mitigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.