Hide
6 Posts

Star Wars: Armada» Forums » General

Subject: Do I need 2 Core sets to have enough obstacles to play correctly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
Do I need 2 Core sets to have enough obstacles to play correctly?
Or does 1 core set come with the required 6 obstacles?
Are there other sources for obstacles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
One core contains all the needed obstacles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hail!
badge
Hail!
mbmbmbmbmb
A single core set includes all 6 obstacles (1 space station, 2 debris fields, 3 asteroid fields). You can get acrylic versions from third party companies like Litko. There have also been some really cool 3D versions created by individuals using real rocks and other bits of plastic ships. I'm no where near that creative. And, those are hard to navigate around in an actual game. You can't really set your ship down on a giant plastic asteroid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Core set has enough rocks (obstacles) to play with.

CzarCastik wrote:
And, those are hard to navigate around in an actual game. You can't really set your ship down on a giant plastic asteroid.

This is a very important point, 3d obstacles really do not work with this game (as cool as they might seem).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CzarCastik wrote:
A single core set includes all 6 obstacles (1 space station, 2 debris fields, 3 asteroid fields). You can get acrylic versions from third party companies like Litko. There have also been some really cool 3D versions created by individuals using real rocks and other bits of plastic ships. I'm no where near that creative. And, those are hard to navigate around in an actual game. You can't really set your ship down on a giant plastic asteroid.

I occasionally use my Space Rocks set of 3D terrain (impossible to find anymore as they were rightfully sued into oblivion by FFG) and it works just fine. You use a clear acrylic overlay that goes over the flat cardboard obstacle. If a ship or squadron would need to use that space, you simply remove the overlay until it's clear again and then replace the overlay with the 3D elements. Easy peasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
darthain wrote:
Core set has enough rocks (obstacles) to play with.

CzarCastik wrote:
And, those are hard to navigate around in an actual game. You can't really set your ship down on a giant plastic asteroid.

This is a very important point, 3d obstacles really do not work with this game (as cool as they might seem).

You can make them work if they have the base shaped as the originals and the support fit directly in the base.

So you can remove the 3d part at will changing them from 3d to 2d

I am trying to build some

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.