Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I sort of get the impression that they're not particularly favourable.

That being said, and to be fair, he pulled US forces out of Iraq, as he promised to do. That has turned out to be a bit of a two edged sword. There's healthcare of course. However, that has been undermined by a rather regressive "hidden" tax to pay for it.

What else beyond that? He was elected (the first time anyway) as an "agent of change". I don't see that much changed though. Race relations have worsened, although his election was supposed to result in (or was a result of?) improved relations. "Gun control" failed, although IMHO he sabotaged that himself by trying to bring back the old "assault weapons" ban in the wake of Sandy Hook. Overall he was a rather status quo politician, in spite of all of the "change" jargon at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
[b]Caution: Not sure of the veracity or quality of this source, but I thought that is funny and the points seem legit.

Attitude like that could make you money as a news website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
utoption2 wrote:
Caution: Not sure of the veracity or quality of this source, but I thought that is funny and the points seem legit.

I guess those data are best summarized as half truths. Several of those records (#2, #3, #6) were set in fiscal year 2009 when the last Bush budget was still around. The first Obama budget did not go into effect before September 2009. Working population (#5) is a misleading stat when a large number of baby boomers has started retirement. A better indicator is the employment/population ratio of 25 to 54 years old: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS12300060
Could certainly be better but more and more people have found a job after 2011. #8, #9 and #10 are the outcomes of long secular trends of increasing income inequality since the 80ies. To overcome those will require new economic policies.

#1 is actually the least meaningful one. The US government cannot go broke in its own currency. Hence, the only way the US can go bankrupt is by congress not allowing the treasury to fulfill its obligations. That is exactly what happened with the debt ceiling crisis when S&P downgraded the US long-term debt. Of course, the market did not pay any attention as long-term interest rates continued its slide until the recent rebound.

Overall, Obama was handed an economy at the brink of collapse and a dysfunctional congress. Given those, he did ok. The areas a president can affect the most like foreign policy worked out quite well. Domestic policies are more of a mixed bag. Hopes were certainly higher and yes, there was not a whole lot of change.

We will need to bridge the various divides in this country (political, racial, economical etc.) in order to get the country back on track towards a positive future for all. Not sure if that is going to happen any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Caution: Not sure of the veracity or quality of this source, but I thought that is funny and the points seem legit.

I have a question; If you aren't sure of the veracity of the sources, then how is it then still funny and 'legit'?

I don't ask because I necessarily disagree with the content or the aim of your post but rather the dissonance involved. How has America reached a point where economic indicators are chucked around like so; 'Might not be true* but it's still funny.'?

*whole point of numbers is that they are either true or meaningless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
utoption2 wrote:

I have a question; If you aren't sure of the veracity of the sources, then how is it then still funny and 'legit'?

I don't ask because I necessarily disagree with the content or the aim of your post but rather the dissonance involved.

He likes it because it allows him to poke at the liberals on RSP and get them mad, even if he thinks or knows that a lot of the points made are highly questionable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
single sentences wrote:
11 donald trump became president after him
"NO thanks!" due from HRC? 'Dems-OWN' failure too "communicate". surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

He likes it because it allows him to poke at the liberals on RSP and get them mad, even if he thinks or knows that a lot of the points made are highly questionable.

I'm all for getting other people mad, but using falsehoods and disinformation to do it feels like cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like im being baited into defending Obama which I wont do. For the past 8 years, while supporting him as president, I have been his biggest critic and now at the end of his presidency feel pretty disappointed with his accomplishments. That said, Trump isnt even in office and hes already handing out tax breaks to companies and thats pretty much the antithesis of the platform he ran on. I just hope that you can be critical of Trump in the same ways I have been critical of Obama because at the moment, all I see is a giant circlejerk for someone who is literally about to fuck 99% of Americans in the ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There are a lot of lists of his real accomplishments.

https://www.thebalance.com/what-has-obama-done-11-major-acco...

That's a very short one.

You'll miss Obama. We all will. He had a lot of problems, but have you seen Trump's cabinet lately? The robber barons about to screw us all.

Trump promised to be a President for the working man, and they voted for him in droves. Surprise surprise, he didn't mean any of it. It's almost like his whole campaign was a big lie, if only there was some kind of warning like 70% of what he said being unfiltered BS. Oh wait, that's exactly what happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
The facts listed seemed to be legit and might merit further research.

And by "seemed to be legit" you mean fit your personal bias.

How about this list?.

Quote:

The economy has added more than 10 million jobs, and job openings are at a 15-year high.
The unemployment rate has dropped well below the historical norm, but long-term unemployment remains higher than at the start of the Great Recession.
The buying power of the average worker’s weekly paycheck is up 4.4 percent.
Corporate profits are running 152 percent higher, and stock prices have soared.
The number of immigrants caught trying to enter the U.S. illegally has dropped 53 percent.
Federal debt has more than doubled, and annual deficits, after shrinking, are again on the rise.
The home ownership rate has dropped by 4 percentage points.
The number of Americans on food stamps is up 36 percent.
Oil imports are down 53 percent, and wind and solar power have quadrupled.
The number of people lacking health insurance has gone down by 15.2 million.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
End the Afghan War? Uh, there's still a lot of combat forces from US doing combat there?

I'm sure the press will start talking about it again once Trump is in office. And then it will be conveniently forgotten that Obama will have spent his entire two terms of office at war.

And the 10 dollar question, what does he have to show for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

That's a very short one.

You'll miss Obama. We all will. He had a lot of problems, but have you seen Trump's cabinet lately? The robber barons about to screw us all.

Trump promised to be a President for the working man, and they voted for him in droves. Surprise surprise, he didn't mean any of it. It's almost like his whole campaign was a big lie, if only there was some kind of warning like 70% of what he said being unfiltered BS. Oh wait, that's exactly what happened.

Sniff , Sniff...ah, I love the smell of bullshit articles with bullshit "facts" in the morning. Where do we start? "Reformed Healthcare" Wow, that's working out really well.

For the millions and millions of people who didn't have healthcare before, it did. Including many people I know personally. Sorry you have to pay a little more now so that some of your fellow Americans can LIVE and get healthcare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

That's a very short one.

Whenever I see these pictures of Special Forces soldiers coming back dead from Afghanistan, I get this feeling that I won't be missing President Pencil-Neck.

And, by the way, President-Elect has done jack legislatively, so many you should withhold judgment until after January 20th, 2017.

Here's one (Source: Washington Post)

Army Staff Sgt. Adam S. Thomas was killed in Afghanistan Oct. 4. (Army photo) Army Staff Sgt. Adam S. Thomas was killed in Afghanistan Oct. 4. (Courtesy of U.S. Army)

So much ignorance in this post. The President signs bills, he doesn't write them. Blame Congress maybe? You know, the LEGISLATIVE branch.

Your purpose of putting the soldier's picture up is what, exactly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a pretty sad state of affairs when not being corrupt is an "accomplishment". However, I tend to agree that compared to the Clintons he has been a shining beacon in that regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:

See the bolded words. Reading before typing. Very tough, I know. Try it out. So much ignorance in your post. I have sympathy for your lack of reading skills. You totally missed everything.

Zero points.

You lose.

Sorry.

Adding you to my burgeoning "List of RSP Idiots" list.

Does that mean you plonked me? Oh goody! I hope so!

If not: Trump won't be able to do anything legislatively EITHER, since he is not a member of the LEGISLATIVE BRANCH.

Also, you never gave a reason as to why you connected that particular dead soldier to Obama personally, who died fighting in a war that he didn't start and that neither party (nor the American populace) wants him to retreat from. He already caught so much hell for "retreating from Iraq too early", he sure as hell can't get out of Afghanistan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
Why not say something equally stupid like "Made McDonald's Food Good and Nutritious."

Made McDonald's serve breakfast all day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
sfox wrote:

I'm all for getting other people mad, but using falsehoods and disinformation to do it feels like cheating.

If you believe that any of the points are false, then rebut them. It's called critical analysis--feel free to try it out sometime.

1) Poster admits they have no idea about veracity or quality of own post.
2)Without a trace of self-awareness tells others to try critical analysis sometime.

Mama no comprende.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
s/gulp He quit 'smoking cigarettes' while NOW much prefers *blunts*? robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be interesting to see how Donald Trump does with a Congress that is Repbulican, and will likely be so for his full 4 years as President. One would think alot could get done per his "vision" to "Make America Great Again", but in my opinion, he will quickly make enemies in Congress (not to say he does not currently have them) that will nullify that Republican advantage in Congress. Like most other Presidents before him, he will fall victim to a lethargic, and opposing Congress. I would not make any predictions about the ultimate status of his Presidency, before he has even gotten there, but his first few Cabinet picks do not inspire confidence at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
utoption2 wrote:

These are all generally true, and if looked at in isolation (out of context of the times) it looks pretty bad.

But I remember 2007-2008. There was a persuasive, gnawing fear among the moneyed intelligentsia that the economy system was about to crash across the globe. The US was bleeding 600K to 800K jobs a month. The US was still deeply involved in the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns, costing taxpayers billions of dollars. People were losing their houses, their retirement funds, their jobs. College and medical costs were soaring.

I understand the disappointment with Barack Obama. We all cling to the idea that in a basically free market economy the government can do more than just fiddle with the margins of the economy. We all thought that electing the first black president meant the racial problems between blacks and whites were over; instead, black people had the gall to stand up and tell us what was really happening in their lives, and that was not good news. We all thought Obama could deliver on hope and change, but then we forgot to change Congress, the biggest beneficiaries of no-hope and no-change. At the end, he could barely deliver on a quarter of what he promised.

On the other hand, I'm realistic to note that now, in 2016:
--The economy is adding 100K-200K jobs a month, and has added jobs for almost 70 months in a row.
--The stock market stabilized, then rose, now soars. Good news for people with retirement funds.
--The US tried to back completely out of Iraq, but the Iraqi government turned into a crap fest, ISIS came up, and we're back at it, albeit much less involved than before. Afghanistan is a work in progress, but fewer soldiers are there.
--The aftershocks of the Great Recession still reverberate through America's middle class, but they do seem to be fading. Home values are up, home sales are up.
--The ACA, for all its warts, has helped millions obtain medical coverage they otherwise would be denied. A sign of how well people have accepted the ACA is the furious rush by record numbers of people to get signed up before Trump takes office. Personally, I favor single-payer, but that's not going to happen with the people in the Congress worried about medical insurance campaign donations. The ACA was the best solution available at the time. It will be fascinating to watch the Republicans twist themselves into pretzels trying to get rid of "Obamacare" while keeping the 80-85 percent of the law that Americans say they support wholeheartedly (when it's not called Obamacare).

And frankly, I didn't see a touch of humor in the "list." It's snarky, but snarky is something four-year-olds can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
brkmrtn wrote:
... , all I see is a giant circlejerk for someone who is literally about to fuck 99% of Americans in the ass.

It's not an unalloyed conservative cj.

BJ for one, expresses solid reservations about Trumpie.

However, speaking as someone outside the great 48, if you all can just keep Trump's possible major negative effects confined to the US of A then all us foriegners will be thankful.
USA rescues the world again, again, again.

We don't really differentiate between things like WWI, WWII, Godzilla, the Soviet Union and the looming Trumpie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.