Conan» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Scenario "The Lord of Dagon": Help me playtest! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hamilton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uri50svbrz3orjf/The%20Lord%20of%20...

This is my first attempt at a home-made scenario for Conan. I have not yet had time to playtest it. I'm posting it here for comments/analysis, with the full expectation that balance tweaks will be required.

I wanted to make a scenario centered around Khosatral Khel, borrowing heavily from Robert E Howard's story, "The Devil in Iron."

I also wanted to evoke an almost D&D-esque feeling of the heroes exploring the rooms in the ruins without knowing what they were going to find inside.

Notes:
-I want the OL to have the offensive at the beginning of the scenario, with pressure on the Heroes to "turn the corner" on the difficulty level by finding the Yuetshi Knife. However I don't want the Heroes to be easily murdered, hence I have limited the OL's starting gems. Balancing this will probably be the most difficult aspect of this scenario.
-Mobility is crucial for the Heroes, hence the only Blocker in the scenario is the Giant Snake guarding the Knife, and the OL does not have many minions for hindering the Heroes. This elevates Shevatas' value in this scenario, as he can open doors/chests the fastest and grab the Knife without getting bogged down by the Snake. I gave Hadrathus Teleport for much the same purpose.
-This scenario employs a couple of resources from the King Pledge (Valeria, Mitra's Staff, Mummies, Giant Spider), but it should be relatively simple to substitute base box figures in their place as needed, just use your best judgment. If Belit is used in place of Valeria, I suggest she start with at least 3 guards in her area and be equiped with the Ornamental Spear and Tribal Shield.

Please let me know what you think! I'm especially interested in reports from anyone willing to play though the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
Great initiative ! Very creative !
I love the intro/flavor text.

I have not had time to play the scenario yet, but have a few comments and questions (in totally random order and off the top of my head):

- Regarding Mummies, there are two different types of tiles for these. One is much more powerful than the other. Which ones to use ?

- How many gems do the heroes start with in reserve/fatigue zones ?

- How many Bossonian Archers ? I guess 1 tile with 3-4 archers ?

- Is there a limit to the amount of game turns ?

- Is there a maximum of 1 gem/hero/turn when moving the princess ?

- By giving the initiative to the OL in the first turn, you give him the opportunity to activate Khosatral Khel, move him into the zone with Shevatas (worst defense) and attack him with 3 red dice, and then activate KK again and attack with 3 more red dice. On average thats 9 hits total. KK would even have 3 re-rolls. (as understand it, the OL starts with 2 gems + 5 gems recovered for a total of 7 gems. OL can activate KK for 1 gem, move him 4 zones = 1 extra gem, and activate a second time for 2 gems for a total of 4 gems). Depending on how many gems the Heroes begin with, this could potentially destroy the game for Shevatas ? Think this needs a little tweaking...

- Just an idea to make the scenario a bit more dynamic, I would consider randomizing the OL's placement of the 4 numbered tokens, and keeping the numbers secret/hidden to both sides until revealed by the Heroes. I am sure the flipping over of the hidden tokens will be super fun for both sides to see what comes up !

Anyway, thanks again for creating the scenario, I hope I will be able to test it soon. Best of luck,
K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea is interesting, but the Heroes lose in the third turn.

The first turn the OL uses his two gems to first activate Khosatral and move him three areas to the entrance. And with his second gem activate the Event tile so that he receives the Captain and his Archers.

In the OL's second turn he can activate Khosatral two times, which means he can reach the Heroes almost anywhere on the board.

With Khosatral, the Captain and the Archers shooting the Heroes, the game will be over in the third turn or shortly after.

Maybe Khosatral should not be there from the beginning but arrive in the OL's second or third turn at the entrance. Start with a couple of Mummies and place the Event tile on the third position.

Also, Khosatral should attack all intruders like the Captain and his Archers.

Maybe rule that Khosatral will always go after the nearest human in his line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hamilton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input! These kind of questions are exactly why I need extra eyes finding things I need to clarify.

-The mummies are the version with Jinx, they are by far the more interesting version IMO.

-My intention is for the heroes to start with all gems in their reserve zones, as they will need them to fend off Khosatral's attacks. I will add a line specifying this in the scenario setup instructions.

-1 tile for the bossonion archers. I currently envision 3 archers, but Playtesting will indicate whether 4 is more appropriate. I will correct the instructions to indicates
The number of archers.

-No limit on game turns as of right now. This scenario should be a bloodbath, so I don't think a time limit is needed. Again, Playtesting will tell.

-You are correct, each hero with LOS to the princess can spend 1 gem per turn to move her. So in a 3 player game she could potentially move 3 areas per turn.

-The randomized room placement is an interesting idea. I think it should be Playtested both ways to see how it impacts the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hamilton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Regarding the balance of Khosatral's vs the heroes, I agree that the OL's starting position is too strong. I like the idea of the OL starting with initiative, as Khosatral on the attack feels thematic. I can think of a few different options for softening the encounter:

-Move Khasatral's starting area further away from the heroes.

-Limit the OL to a gem regeneration of only 3 gems per round, either for the entire scenario or until the yuetshi knife is found, at which point it could go up to 5.

-Have the OL start with 0 gems in his,reserve zone.

-Spread out the Heroes Starting locations, more like "For all of Ophir's gold."

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartan556 wrote:
Regarding the balance of Khosatral's vs the heroes, I agree that the OL's starting position is too strong. I like the idea of the OL starting with initiative, as Khosatral on the attack feels thematic. I can think of a few different options for softening the encounter:

-Move Khasatral's starting area further away from the heroes.

-Limit the OL to a gem regeneration of only 3 gems per round, either for the entire scenario or until the yuetshi knife is found, at which point it could go up to 5.

-Have the OL start with 0 gems in his,reserve zone.

-Spread out the Heroes Starting locations, more like "For all of Ophir's gold."

Thoughts?

Difficult to say !
I think one issue I have with the scenario is how powerful the OL's River is from the beginning and how it will evolve through the game. There are very few minion tiles (mostly "bosses"). This results in the OL activating super powerful stuff almost every single gameturn. Which is cool, but immensely tough for the heroes...

To control this, I think the OL should only have very few gems in total. Maybe a regulation of 1 gem per tile in the River ? So he would start with 3 gems total. (This regulation could be combined with your own idea of a regeneration of 3/round going up to 5/round after the Yuetsi knife is found).

I don't know if these constraints on the OL will work, I can't quite imagine all the consequences in the gameplay !?
(One thing that will become annoying for the OL however, is purging tiles from dead monsters ! Maybe the Event tile can have an option for removing these tiles from the River...?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gibson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mb
I'll try to get this playtested sometime next week and give some feedback...
Good work btw, hope to see more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Mauric
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
A couple of questions for you:
#1 How many life points for Khosatral Khel?
#2 Can Overlord units go through the locked doors? I realize Khosatral Khel can with Wall Wrecker, but can he do it otherwise? And what about the other Overlord units as they show up on the board?

Thank you for your time and effort putting this together.

-Drmauric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hamilton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
-7 Life points for Khosatral Khel. Thanks for pointing out that oversight.

-The OL's forces cannot open doors, although as you pointed out Khosatral Khel can use wall-wrecker to bypass them (Which is thematic if you've read "The Devil in Iron" cause that's exactly what he tries to do).

K. Hansen: You make a fair point about the number of Bosses, but I think that it may be a two-edged sword for the OL. Bosses can't be reinforced, meaning the Heroes can pollute the OL's river with dead tiles. Even when they are alive, the presence of other tiles in the River makes it more expensive to activate Khosatral, which is hands down the OL's best unit. I may need to reduce the life values for the other monsters, though. The Spider is pretty weak at 2 armor and 3 life, but the Snake and the Captain are still formidible. Maybe I should bump them down a life point or two.

Thank you all for the encouraging comments! Tomorrow I will spend some time editing the scenario instructions to incorporate some of the things we've talked about.

I think for starters I will change the OL's regen to 3, and I will move Shevatas' starting location so that Khosatral can't target him in the first turn. With the heroes starting with all gems in their reserve and Hadrathus having Mitra's Halo already cast, either Conan or Hadrathus should be able to weather a round 1 hit from Khosatral, as long as his lack of gems limits his rerolls. I could be way off, of course. Playtesting will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hamilton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ok, the scenario instructions have been altered. In addition to clarifying some things that were not specified or communicated well, I have made the following changes:

-The OL now starts with a recovery value of "3," and has 2 gems in his reserve and 4 gems in his fatigue.

-When the heroes reveal the room with the Yuetshi knife, the OL's recovery goes up to 5 and he adds 4 gems to his fatigue zone.

-The Captain now has only 3 life, the Giant Spider 2 life, and the Giant Snake 6 life.

-Shevatas' and Khosatral's starting areas have been changed, as has the arrangement of doors on the map. This arrangement should prevent Khosatral from murdering Shevatas in round 1, and also gives the Heroes some strategic options as their forces are more spread out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartan556 wrote:
Ok, the scenario instructions have been altered. In addition to clarifying some things that were not specified or communicated well, I have made the following changes:

-The OL now starts with a recovery value of "3," and has 2 gems in his reserve and 4 gems in his fatigue.

-When the heroes reveal the room with the Yuetshi knife, the OL's recovery goes up to 5 and he adds 4 gems to his fatigue zone.

-The Captain now has only 3 life, the Giant Spider 2 life, and the Giant Snake 6 life.

-Shevatas' and Khosatral's starting areas have been changed, as has the arrangement of doors on the map. This arrangement should prevent Khosatral from murdering Shevatas in round 1, and also gives the Heroes some strategic options as their forces are more spread out.

Thank you for sharing.
I translated it for French players and it will likely be playtested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hamilton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
That's awesome. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.